Author Topic: Oscilloscope for beginner  (Read 5184 times)

Offline KumraTopic starter

Oscilloscope for beginner
« on: May 04, 2015, 10:45:40 pm »
Hi everyone! Long time viewer of the youtude vids but first time poster here. I am looking at buying a second hand scope to play around with and I have found a Tektronix 465 for sale that appears to be in good condition, no probes though. Would this be a good unit to start off with and what would you expect to pay for something like this?

Thanks heaps in advance.

Re: Oscilloscope for beginner
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 11:16:50 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I am in New Zealand, have updated my profile now.
My main question was "Would this be a good unit to start off with?". I can get hold of one for around $150 NZD. I don't really want to spend too much more at the moment as am pretty short on cash right now. It's hard for me to compare prices in NZ as not many people are selling them second hand so have no history of sales to review.

Offline chibiace

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 11:54:37 pm »
i got my analog scope from ebay a few years back, asked the seller if he would come down in price and he did which made it a good deal, shipping is a killer if your paying the listed prices, but i also recommend you save up for the latest entry rigol perhaps getting the tequipment discount but be aware if it gets stopped at customs it could be another 200 bucks.

trademe is a ripoff.
He Who Controls The Spice Controls The Universe

Offline LektroiD

• Frequent Contributor
  • If it didn't explode, I'm happy.
    • Music here
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 12:19:49 am »
All depends what you need it for. If you just want to monitor waveforms, then any cheap analogue scope will do. If you want more indepth features for critical calibrating and monitoring then save up for a Rigol 1054z.

Also, buy local and collect in person, especially if you end up going for an analogue scope, as it was said earlier, postage is a killer.

It's good to have both analogue and digital scopes, they both have strengths and weaknesses. XY mode on analogue is way nicer than digital for example.

Offline drakke

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 12:31:06 am »
All depends what you need it for. If you just want to monitor waveforms, then any cheap analogue scope will do.

In that case even a USB oscilloscope is a candidate. It is still useful and gives you time to save up for a more reliable DSO. And in the end I don't think you will have trouble selling it.

I used to live in Taumaranui, NZ and just searched Craigslist NZ and there was not a single oscilloscope listed.  If the Tek broke could you get it fixed for a reasonable fee?

« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 12:33:08 am by drakke »

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 03:52:43 am »
Thanks for the replies everyone. The latest Rigol sounds great, but I don't think I need anything that fancy at this stage.
I will likely just be monitoring waveforms at the moment and mucking around learning as I go.
Apparently it's not too complicated to repair these units (according to the seller). I might see if I can get him to drop the price further and will also need to check shipping costs, it's coming from Hamilton to Christchurch but shouldn't be too much??

Offline Paul Moir

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 04:51:10 am »
They are bulky, heavy and delicate.  Google says 10.3kg, which I don't doubt at all.  You'll have to check prices for shipping, but it's definitely a strike against buying this one.

Are you interested in digital or analog electronics?  If digital, a storage scope like any modern digital one will be far more useful than an analog scope.  If primarily analog, you can get by fine with an analog scope.

To me, my 465 is a work of art and I enjoy it for that.  For functionality, it doesn't come close to meeting a modern DSO.

Offline Sigmoid

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 02:31:39 pm »
As I mentioned on a similar thread last week, now that the Rigol Z series is out, you can get the 1052E used from the people who are upgrading - for real cheap (mine was $150 used BEFORE the Z series came out). I'd suggest you go with that, it's less finicky and a lot smaller than an old cathode ray tube scope.

My first scope was a CRT one, but I quickly sold it and got my Rigol 1052E, because honestly when you're getting your first scope, you just aren't experienced enough to maintain / repair a scope. That, and I live in a studio apartment. The Rigol fits on my rather tiny electronics lab desk. The Tek didn't.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 04:30:10 pm »
Saw that one too:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics-photography/other-electronics/other/auction-881528576.htm

Not badly priced for this part of the world, however do take note of what others have said.
Repair of any CRO is not for the inexperienced, even if you have the gear.
Find and download a Service manual, have a study and you'll see what we mean.

At the moment there are a lot of CRO's available after the big clearance sale at Tait electronics.
Like this one: http://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics-photography/radio-equipment/commercial/auction-882899561.htm
This seller bought a bit of Tait gear.
That would be a much cheaper option for your first scope and you could put saved funds away for a DSO that YOU will want next.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 05:34:19 pm »
warning:
Apparently it's not too complicated to repair these units (according to the seller).

At our level of experience (I am a beginner also) they are extremely complicated so the seller lied to you.

I went the used analog route and lost.  My scope has so many problems it really is useless.  I cannot tell if the source of signals is bad or the scope.  I suggest you start with something you can believe in.  Now it is going to take me longer to save up and get a new scope.

If you get a new scope, make sure it has a warranty.  If you buy one from another country, the warranty will be good in that country.

Do you like to gamble?  if so get an analog scope, if not get a DSO

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline damago1

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 11:25:13 pm »
Hi,
I had the same dillema and I went the Rigol ds1000z way. Incredible for this money, 4 channels really usefull, and you can unlock full of stuff. I am very happy with my choice. I have written an app for PC to grab screenshots, waveform data and measurementsnfrom this scope.

Wys?ane z iPad za pomoc? Tapatalk

Offline Paul Moir

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 05:58:13 am »
Oh man, no probes too?  That's a kick in the pants.  A couple Tek probes would have certainly sweetened the deal.  Puts another $25-50 towards a new one.

Offline smjcuk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 07:02:57 am »
warning:
Apparently it's not too complicated to repair these units (according to the seller).

At our level of experience (I am a beginner also) they are extremely complicated so the seller lied to you.

I went the used analog route and lost.  My scope has so many problems it really is useless.  I cannot tell if the source of signals is bad or the scope.  I suggest you start with something you can believe in.  Now it is going to take me longer to save up and get a new scope.

If you get a new scope, make sure it has a warranty.  If you buy one from another country, the warranty will be good in that country.

Do you like to gamble?  if so get an analog scope, if not get a DSO

You win some and you lose some.

I got a Tek 453 (circa 1968) for a reasonable price with a minor triggering problem. Turned out to be a major problem, fixed it and the power supply blew within an hour of doing it.

Then again I got a Goldstar 20MHz analogue scope for £10 (~$15) the other day and its spot on. I reckon if you budget and wait around you can get a half decent scope for not much. Chucked two new Wittig probes on it from eBay ($10 each) and its fine for basic 7MHz-14MHz RF which is what I'm doing at the moment.

Its all about waiting though. Then again so is getting a Rigol by the looks.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 07:05:35 am by smjcuk »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf