Author Topic: Oscilloscope Probe Question  (Read 1735 times)

Offline CCBTopic starter

• Supporter
Oscilloscope Probe Question
« on: October 26, 2016, 07:32:40 am »
Hi Everyone,

I'm a scope newbie so forgive me if if I'm just asking a dumb question. I've got a new DS1054z (it came with 4x PVR2150 probes) and also purchased a Testec prob from RS specifically because it comes with a BNC adapter.

Now I connect a rigol PVR2150 and the Testec probes to the scope calibration signal and run auto and I get a nice square waveform after adjusting each probe.

My question is that if I 'zoom' in to look at the top of the square wave the rigol remains flat while the testec probe curves from the left lower the more I zoom in (gets alot worse the more you zoom in), why is that?

Here is the probe in question:    Testec TT-LF 312 Oscilloscope Scopemeter 15 MHz, 150 MHz 400 V, 600 V

Have I just ordered the wrong probe for my scope?

Thanks,
Carl

Z80

Re: Oscilloscope Probe Question
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 08:00:56 am »
Try adjusting it whilst zoomed in, you should be able to make the left hand side of the pulse go both above and below the right hand side.  If you can't then it's likely your probe doesn't have enough adjustment range.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 08:02:16 am »
It is not a "scope calibration" signal, it is a "probe calibration" signal.

Have you adjusted the Testec probe's calibration in *10 mode?

When buying *10 "high" impedance probes (which aren't high impedance!), ensure the probe's calibration range (e.g. 10-25pF) encompasses the scope's input capacitance (e.g. 15pF).

For more info on probe, including references on which type to use and how to avoid using them dangerously, see https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/library-2/scope-probe-reference-material/
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 06:18:52 am »
The Testec TT-LF312 probe should work fine and that is a pretty unusual distortion from a probe.

Does the shape of the distortion change as the gain or position is changed?

It looks like the result of overload.  Most oscilloscopes recover from overload poorly and unpredictably.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf