Author Topic: Oscilloscope recommendation  (Read 1759 times)

Offline mr_glitchTopic starter

Oscilloscope recommendation
« on: August 14, 2015, 06:52:19 am »
Hi all,

I'm new to, well, just about everything in this particular subject, and I'm looking to build out my work area a bit. I ran across a Gould model 1425 digital storage oscilloscope on Craigslist for $50, and I was wondering if it would be worth picking up. Looks like it's a dual trace unit with a 20 MHz bandwidth. Any opinions on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Offline JoeN

• Frequent Contributor
  • We Buy Trannies By The Truckload
Re: Oscilloscope recommendation
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 07:14:45 am »
If all you can afford is $50 then any working oscilloscope for $50 is better than nothing.  Is it working?  Are you going to be able to test it?  Bring a signal source and check it out.  From what I see about that scope, it is very basic, but $50 is still a decent deal.  The cheapest new scopes are around $300. 

One thing I will say is, based on the parts I see and lack of any real memory on this scope, the "DSO"-ness of this scope must be very, very limited.  Still, if it works then it's probably worth $50.

http://www.amplifier.cd/Test_Equipment/other/Gould-1425.htm
Have You Been Triggered Today?

Offline mr_glitchTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 03:27:38 am »
Thanks for the reply. Yep, it works. I tried it out today & ended up buying it. I figured it would help me get my feet wet before I commit to dropping $300+ on a new one.

Interestingly, it seems to be primarily an analog scope. In "normal mode", you just get the two traces across the screen, and it behaves the way every other analog scope I've seen behaves. You put it into "storage mode" to get any kind of digital info on the screen, as well as the ability to arm & trigger the recording function. Is that typical of early DSOs?

If nothing else, it's got X-Y inputs, so in case I ever run across an Asteroids arcade board, I'll have a monitor ready to go. :)

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 09:39:08 am »
You got a bargain. I've seen similar oscilloscopes go for three times that on ebay.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf