Author Topic: Why writing style and grammar matters in posts  (Read 2225 times)

vk6zgo, tggzzz, Sensorcat and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Why writing style and grammar matters in posts
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2024, 03:15:48 pm »
Made has not the sound of bade

Oh.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2024, 03:34:33 pm »
My posts might look OK to many, but often I will spend 30 mins doing a simple reply (lots of editing and making sure it’s easy for others to read before posting, whereas most people probably spend only two or three mins doing the same sort of reply.
You missed the closing bracket :) I noticed that the third time I read it, so it clearly wasn't that important!

Mind you, in my defence, at infant school in the late 60s my school decided to experiment on my year (both my older sisters escaped this) by trying to teach me using something called ITA.

One of my earliest memories is asking my father to teach me to read. He did. We got a few pages into the second "Janet and John" book, and decided to move onto interesting stuff. Consequently I could read well before starting school at 5. School was boring.

A couple of years later I saw the ITA, thought it was a bloody stupid idea for two reasons. Obviously you have to learn to read twice. Plus you can't continue to learn by reading all the interesting things you find around you.

Summary: I have a lot of sympathy.
and you quoted wrongly. you put your words into HobGoblyn's mouth and HobGoblyn's words into Nominal Animal's. be carefull with opening and closing quote's tag (missing opening or closing bracket is not as bad) this can be seen as irresponsible act. preview your post before posting. cheers ymmv.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2024, 03:59:26 pm »
...I will keep you, Susy, busy,...
thats called poet and its poetry. there's an art in drawing canvas, there's an art in developing rigol GUI, and there's an art in using words (linguistics), poets, analogical skill or idioms are few of them imho... you seem to have the linguistics artistic talent... i dont usually unleash that talent unless to girls or to my wife before we marry, because they can be affected the most. normally i just tend to use shortest sentence possible to convey (mostly technical) message such as "Suzy can you give me a massage? because my head is dizzy" thats it. no need unnecessary redundant use or extra words. from some point of view i do see redundant words as similar to nonsensical hieroglyphs, just a waste of space and time ;) ymmv cheers.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2024, 04:03:36 pm »
and you quoted wrongly. you put your words into HobGoblyn's mouth and HobGoblyn's words into Nominal Animal's. be carefull with opening and closing quote's tag (missing opening or closing bracket is not as bad) this can be seen as irresponsible act. preview your post before posting. cheers ymmv.

The second one was careless; corrected. Not sure why you included the first one, but it isn't worth discussing.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 04:05:16 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2024, 04:30:50 pm »
Not sure why you included the first one, but it isn't worth discussing.
i'm not interested in missing bracket either (although in some cases it can raise confusion as to where the sentence stop or continue), the relevance is that, we need to check our post more carefully. so your advice/reminder in that post is relevant to him, to you and me and other readers. cheers.

Offline xvr

• Regular Contributor
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #30 on: Yesterday at 05:26:34 pm »
A small offtopic, may be.

There are a lot of not native English speakers (including me, of course), but sometimes we can see here some sentences which hardly understandable. Only a few wish to decipher these writing.
It seems that it writes not in English at all.

Like this -
No one had had the slightest desire to learn the language of the boghogs for the simple reason that these creatures communicated by biting each other very hard on the thigh.

But much worse when someone starts to write in all cap. Come across the title "HELP!!!!" and think - it’s a matter of life and death. Next open topic and read "AM NEWBIE. HOW TO CONNECT BULB TO BATTERY??????"

Another quote -
He got as far as, “Where shall I put -” when there was a sudden violent flurry and he collapsed heavily against the door, trying to beat off a small and mangy creature that had leapt snarling out of the wet night and buried its teeth in his thigh, even through the thick layers of leather padding he wore there. There was a brief, ugly confusion of jabbering and thrashing. The man shouted frantically and pointed. Arthur grabbed a hefty stick that stood next to the door expressly for this purpose and beat at the boghog with it.
“What do you think it was trying to say?” asked Arthur in a small voice.
“Ah, nothing much,” said the man “Just its way of trying to be friendly. This is just our way of being friendly back,” he added, gripping the stick.

My message: Write right - Be Human, not boghot!

PS. Quotes from book "Mostly Harmless" by Douglas Adams (Book 5 of trilogy "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy")

Offline sparkydog

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: Today at 08:51:13 pm »
english spelling is FUBAR (no insult intended)

Oh, I think you had every intention of insulting the English language. 😉 Don't worry, most native speakers agree with you.

ps: imho its possible to spell english in phonetics way just using normal alphabets

I... respectively disagree, at least if you aren't going to use a whole lot of multi-glyph clusters to represent vowel sounds. English uses approximately 13 unique monophthongs. If by "normal alphabets" you mean ASCII, that gives you six "obvious" glyphs unless you make upper- and lower-case glyphs distinct. Personally, I don't recommend it.

I actually developed my own system for writing English phonetically. For monophthongs, I use 'a', 'ä', 'å', 'e', 'ë', 'i', 'y', 'ÿ', 'o', 'û', 'u' and 'ü'. Diphthongs are 'ai', 'au', 'oi' and 'üi'; dipthongs with 'ÿ' usually omit it, i.e. fear is "fir" not "fiÿr". (But see exception, below.) TBH, 'ÿ' and 'û' could probably be combined without loss of readability.

I'd spell "mi" and "laik" the same as you, but the second-person pronoun is "ju", and a feline is a "kät". IMHO your vowel choices... aren't very intuitive. I base mine on ecclesiastical Latin pronunciations (with possibly a bit of Spanish influence), and (at least if you can muddle your way through pronouncing Latin/Spanish) it's surprisingly easy to read even if you've never seen it before:

Mai kät lüvz mi, liaks mai dåg, änd hets ju. Äkshûli, shi hets ëvriwün büt mi änd mai dåg.

Diryst kricÿr yn krieshûn
    Stüd'jyŋ Yŋġlysh pronünsjeshûn,
       Ai wyl tic ju yn mai vÿrs
       Saundz laik korps, kor, hors änd wÿrs

Ai wyl kip ju, Suzi, byzi,
    Mek joÿr hëd wyth hit ġro dyzi;
       Tir yn ai, jor drës jûl ter;
       Kwir, fer siÿr, hir mai prer.

Pliz dont sir thü siÿr.

(Note "stüd'jyŋ" (two syllables) in the second line rather than "stüdiyŋ" (three syllables), and similarly "pronünsjeshûn" (four syllables) rather than "pronünsieshûn" (five syllables). The latter is still a horrid force-fit to the meter. Still, it's interesting how phonetic spelling can be used to change the spelling of words depended on how they're meant to be spoken. It's also useful for "writing" accents.)

Writing is another matter, of course, but with only a very little practice, I find I'm able to read this system almost as fast as "normal" English.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: Today at 09:32:14 pm »
A major issue with trying to write English phonetically is that pronunciation is not constant or consistent. Not only does it change regionally, and over time (accents change with each generation), but also by placement within a phrase (weak forms and strong forms).

Even something as simple as the short "a" in cat varies dramatically in sound depending on where you hear it spoken.

Phonetics can be really complicated.

The following users thanked this post: tggzzz

Online Nominal AnimalTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #33 on: Today at 09:53:06 pm »
I feel I really need to emphasize that it is important to try to express yourself as clearly as possible; how well you succeed in that is not very important at all.

The reason is twofold.

One is that the attempt itself will organize your thoughts on the matter; see my earlier mention about rubber duck debugging to find out exactly why.  That is, just by making the effort of expressing yourself to others clearly, you end up organizing your thoughts.  So, it is worth the effort to the asker to do this, even if they get zero responses.

The other is that the effort does show up.  I personally have to re-read my own posts afterwards to make sure I expressed what I intended, and often end up having to modify the post for grammar and individual words.  (Be careful to not change the meaning of the post, especially after someone has responded, because the history of the discussion is itself important and useful.  Adding a note, or using overstrike, to show that some part is wrong/incorrect/needs clarification, is perfectly okay.)

So, even if you have trouble expressing yourself, just take your time and spend the effort you wish others would spend when responding to you (or if you prefer helping others, the effort you wish others would spend when asking questions).  If anyone has difficulties understanding the question or answer, they should ask for clarification; perhaps via "do you mean you have ...." explaining how they understood it, to make it easier to clarify.  (A post stating "I don't understand you." is not very useful, because the not-understood person has no idea how to adjust their output to make it more understandable.)

Some of the posts above related to phonetics (the "standard" is international phonetic alphabet, or IPA, although various languages have their own; for example Chinese Pinyin) show how complicated it is to express a spoken English word in writing.

Consider, therefore, how complicated it can be to express a technical idea or problem, exactly!

Even if you have it crystal clearly in your mind, conveying it to others is not so simple.  It takes effort.

For arithmetic, algebra, calculus, and formal logic we have mathematical notation; MathJax seems widely used on the web as of 2024, and works here too.  (See e.g. this thread.)  For programming, we have a number of programming languages and even "pseudocode", not implementing any specific programming language but being similar to many.  For electronics circuits, we have schematic diagrams with more or less standard set of electronic symbols.

It is quite common that the actual "showstopper" to understanding or solving some problem is not where the asker believes it to be, but one or more steps "deeper" into the question.  In mathematics, we typically avoid that by examining entire equations, possibly generalized by replacing and combining numerical constants with named constants.  In programming, where the entire source is often too large to show, one is expected to distill the problem into a minimal, complete, verifiable example (MCVE), that is short enough to convey, but still exhibits the same problem.  Similarly, when the problem concerns an electrical circuit, it is important to include everything relevant to the problem, while omitting the unrelated details.

Obviously, it takes time and effort to learn to do any of those well.  My own point here is that as long as you put in and show the effort –– including a followup post when you decide on your solution path, and recording your conclusions for others reading the thread later on ––, and are willing to learn, it suffices.  But, at the same time, the effort is necessary, as otherwise the signal-to-noise ratio of discussion can drop to the level of shouting in a crowded mall, which is no fun at all when technical discussions are involved.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #34 on: Today at 10:02:06 pm »
I feel I really need to emphasize that it is important to try to express yourself as clearly as possible; how well you succeed in that is not very important at all.

The reason is twofold.

Yes, in all respects. Another useful post.

Dave made this thread sticky notably soon after you started it.  That has turned out to be a prescient choice.
« Last Edit: Today at 10:04:10 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf