Author Topic: Overclocking for rendering  (Read 2734 times)

Offline Stefan CologneTopic starter

• architecture
Overclocking for rendering
« on: June 11, 2013, 01:24:49 pm »
Hi all,
first of all, I have to say, that I´m not a computercrack. But I want to overclock in a stable mood my 3770K. The system:
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3
Ram: 4x4gb Corsair Dominator-GT 1866C9

Quiet everything in the PC is watercooled! The only exception is the OCZ-Revo2, but with a bigger alu-cooler.

Thank you for ideas and patience, if I will have silly questions.

Greetings from Cologne/ Germany,
Stefan

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
Re: Overclocking for rendering
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 08:54:29 pm »
for your setup, turn up the core multiplier a few ticks see if its stable over 20 passes of intel burn test, if not increase the vcore offset voltage a step and repeat,

stop when you start passing 85 degrees under test, also your chip will bite you in that its the ihs of the chip and not your block which will cause the large temp rises, which may have otherwise made you question you cooling loop,

Offline Stefan CologneTopic starter

• architecture
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 07:53:23 pm »
Thank you for answer. I will try everything, when I´m back in the office next days.
Greetings,
Stefan

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 10:08:45 pm »
It's been a while since I did the overclock for my i5-2500k system...  One thing to keep in mind is that when you change between 100% full blast and idle the core voltage also ramps up/down. This can be a fun puzzle when your system is stable running full load, and then suddenly hangs when not doing much at all. So first off you want to change the core voltage to something fixed, and then see how fast you can get it to run in a stable way. Oh yeah, and keep memory clock at stock funtil you find out what the core can do... You want to test one thing at a time. :P

Just did a quick check of my notes (well, spreadsheet) ... Make sure you use a manual Vcore mode, not offset. Offset mode can give you surprising values for your core voltage. And only for the highest overclocks did I need to bump VDIMM a little. So for 4.8 and 4.9 GHz VDIMM was bumped from stock (1.500 Volt) to 1.550 Volt). And FWIW ... VCCSA also needed a 40 / 60 mV increase for 4.8 / 4.9 GHz respectively.

The above is without any GPU related load, since I only use the overclocking for fpga PAR runs which take too frigging long.

Oh yeah, one thing I remember ... depending on the particular chip you get you may or may not need to bump the PLL voltage a tiny bit. Apparently I got lucky and just used stock voltage (1.80 Volt).

And for the rest I'd say google for "Ivy bridge overclocking guide".

Offline niflheimer

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 09:23:38 pm »
First thing to do is to disable all power saving features in your BIOS . Most of the time they won't screw up your overclock , but once in a blue moon you get a cpu that really doesn't like it.

3770k can do 4.8ghz on water cooling easily for 24/7 , though with how bad the heat spreader is you should check the temps.

Don't ignore the bus speed - multiplier alone doesn't always cut it , and IMHO you get better performance from a mixed overclock. Boost the RAM to 1.55 - 1.6v , those corsairs can do 1.65v safe ( got the same model running at 1950mhz and 9-8-8-22 at 1.65v on a FX6300) . You might try boosting the northbridge freq a bit - 100-150 mhz , and boost the voltage on it ( cpu-nb in bios) by one notch , it can help a lot with stability.

The UD7 is quite good at oc-ing and it can handle the power drain without a problem . Expect @200 watts in full throttle once you oc-it though.

Offline rkupka

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 09:34:55 pm »
Better place to look for answers on PC-Overclocking is here - http://www.overclockers.com/how-tos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf