Author Topic: Oxymoronic 0 Ohm resistors  (Read 6326 times)

Offline EvilGeniusSkisTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Oxymoronic 0 Ohm resistors
« on: June 26, 2015, 12:09:31 pm »
I understand the usage of SMT 0Rs, but I do not see the point of 0R TH resistors; wouldn't a bit of wire be cheaper.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
Re: Oxymoronic 0 Ohm resistors
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 12:12:03 pm »
If you can get a pick and place machine to place the wire yes, but a wire that needs to be manually inserted will costs more.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline cowana

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 12:13:47 pm »
As component cost, yes.

However, assembly companies are already fully setup for automated unpacking, bending and preparing resistors for population, so a 0R resistor is no different. Using a small piece of wire would not be possible using the resistor lead-forming equipment - it would have to manually be cut to length, stripped, bent...

So the answer is that a 0R resistor is cheaper when you factor in the assembly time.

Online AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 12:14:05 pm »
Hands up who has ever been asked whether a 0R resistor should be 1% tolerance or 5%.

:-+

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 12:23:08 pm »
Hands up who has ever been asked whether a 0R resistor should be 1% tolerance or 5%.

So what's 5% of 0? :D And wouldn't I need to keep them at absolute zero for them to be accurate at all?

McBryce.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 12:36:54 pm »

If you got a milliohm meter with 4-wire/kelvin probes you would find out that the 0R resistor got a few milliohms. There must be something very wrong  >:D

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 12:49:04 pm »
I understand the usage of SMT 0Rs, but I do not see the point of 0R TH resistors; wouldn't a bit of wire be cheaper.

I use 0R through hole all the time when doing single sided homemade boards, especially if the board is intended for copper-side-up

it's easier than cutting and bending solid wire
It's tidier than stranded wire jumpers
It's faster than stripping enamel coated wire
the "resistor" body holds the legs off the board so they won't short to the copper traces underneath
top-side-soldering them looks much nicer for copper-side-up boards (ie surface mount buttons etc) than having solder tails sticking up at you from bottom side jumper wires

I use 1206 as well when i only need to cross one trace.

In industry it's more about already having machinery to handle resistors, so two birds with one stone.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 01:22:40 pm »

real men use temperature compensated, oil filled,  0.001% 0 ohm resistors and wire them in kelvin configuration on teflon standoffs. !
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 05:04:10 pm »
Standby for my Kickstarter - "Graphene constructed, cryogenically quantum treated, audiophile grade zero Ohm resistors".

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 05:19:23 pm »
The only time I have seen machine inserted wire links is in copiers and printers, where they will do wire links, either to use a single sided SRBP board ( cheap and can be made either additively using a screen printing process, or which can be etched fast) and up to 300 wire links, or on a double sided board so as to avoid having to use a multilayer board, but still having a ground plane on the board for EMI reduction. There they also often did the board as double sided but without through hole plating, using the component leads and links as connections to the top side traces. Top side was hand soldered as well with the bottom being wave soldered.

Saw a Sharp copier board with literally a single mask MCU, a decoupling capacitor, a crystal and 2 capacitors and a quartet of components for reset, and 300 wire links in neat rows across the board, in 2 orientations and 4 different lengths. All this and around 11 multipin connectors to the rest of the machine. You might have up to 10 wire links on a single trace, from one connector and going to another. All this to use a single sided board. It must have been cheaper than going double sided through hole plated by at least a few cents.

Offline mazurov

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 06:24:53 pm »
Resistors are cheaper than wire these days. You buy a thousand Chinese LEDs on eBay,  you get a thousand of shitty Chinese resistors of some value as a bonus. I have a bottomless bag of those on the bench to cut the legs off of when I need a piece of tinned wire to short something together.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - RFC1925

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 06:33:28 pm »
If it's Zero ohms ... then it ain't a resistor 'cause it ain't resistin' anything.  :o
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 07:55:34 pm »
There is a datasheet for a series of resistors that we have at work. Part of the spec states something along the lines of "+/- 1% +/- 10mohm" for values less than 1 ohm. I haven't yet seen any of the "Zero ohm links" that are in the range with a negative resistance.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 10:23:08 pm »
Standby for my Kickstarter - "Graphene constructed, cryogenically quantum treated, audiophile grade zero Ohm resistors".
made from old coathangers. cause they sound the best. especially if they were used to hang woolen clothes. stay away from coathangers that were used for synthetic fibers. those are only good to play kraftwerk music,
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 10:34:16 pm »
It's really interesting when you get a +/- 1%  0 ohms resister in the left side of the bell curve  :-DD
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 10:57:09 pm by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2015, 09:16:24 am »

Shut up and take my money!!! Where do I make my pledge!? Will you be goldplating any and all visible metal on them? Does it come in a hand carved presentation box?   :blah:
This would be perfect for discharging those Audio Grade Capacitors I bought for €8K last week.

McBryce.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2015, 10:54:23 am »
So basically they give you a untrimmed resistor when you select a 0R option, using the film that they put on the lowest value ( 1R for the MCF, 0R22 for the Vishay) and not trimming it, so it will only have a maximum limit value of 1R or 0R22. Actual value will be batch dependant, and position in the batch as well. At least you can be sure they will be non inductive though.......

Offline Jope

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2015, 12:36:37 pm »
So basically they give you a untrimmed resistor when you select a 0R option, using the film that they put on the lowest value ( 1R for the MCF, 0R22 for the Vishay) and not trimming it, so it will only have a maximum limit value of 1R or 0R22. Actual value will be batch dependant, and position in the batch as well. At least you can be sure they will be non inductive though.......

No. Farnell just goofed up on the description. Take a look at the manufacturer code of the Vishay 0-Ohm resistor (MBA02040Z0000ZRP00) and at the datasheet. The Z means 'jumper', with a resistance of >= 10mOhms, according to datasheet.

Offline sunnyhighway

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2015, 08:10:08 pm »
The Z means 'jumper', with a resistance of >= 10mOhms, according to datasheet.

So that resistor would have a precision of ?%
Not sure what color that ring would be...  :-//

Offline EvilGeniusSkisTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2015, 09:52:28 pm »
Thanks to everyone who explained the use of 0R TH resistors, now here's my comedy piece: "Join the resistance and help us reduce our mortal enemy, the current!"

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf