Author Topic: Part name?  (Read 7145 times)

Offline logictomTopic starter

• Supporter
Part name?
« on: July 21, 2010, 09:59:17 pm »
I am trying to locate some pins to solder onto a board so that I can put it on a breadboard.
Not sure what they're called and I'm having trouble finding them on Farnell.
They have a little tab that bends to attach to the board on the bottom and top, I've attached a photo for clarification.

5 Brucey Bonus points to who can provide a link  ;D

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
Re: Part name?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 10:31:38 pm »
I've not idea, it could be anything but my guess is it's an RF module, probably a receiver.

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 10:36:57 pm »
Sorry, reading back my post I didn't make it very clear.
What I am after is the pins that you can solder to the smd pads so that they can be used in a breadboard, that is a unit with the pins soldered but I have a couple that came bare and I wanted to add the pins.

You're on the money, it is a Pixie Zigbee transceiver.

Offline charliex

• Frequent Contributor
  • Car Hacker
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 12:35:34 am »

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 11:03:21 am »
There must be a neater solution than that.

Offline McPete

• Regular Contributor
  • Layout Designer, AKA eCAD monkey
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 11:35:41 am »
There must be a neater solution than that.

You bet!
A SOIC - DIP adaptor is what you're looking for. I'm sure there are other package adaptors around too.
I know Microchip do programming adaptors for their SMD PICs- there's a whole attachment for doing the PIC10F series, I'm not sure about other series or makers.

Here are a few links a quick search turned up;

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/1683768-adapter-8-soic-8-dip-pa-sod3sm18-08.html

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/1449751-adapter-28-soic-28-dip-pa-sod3sm18-28.html

For the less expensive option, Sparkfun does some too;
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=494

If you're just after the actual "pin" part, I found a solution the other day, making up some DMM test leads to fit my breadboards.

Paperclips. The plastic covered ones, that are about 25mm/1 inch long specifically. Strip off the plastic coating, cut to length and you've got yourself a perfect fit into a breadboard!

Hope that helps!
Peter
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 11:42:14 am by McPete »

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 12:02:58 pm »
yup! typing soic adapter in ebay will pop out zillions (well, just to exageratte), but check this out...
http://cgi.ebay.com.my/AD8620BR-AD8620-SOIC-DIP-Adaptor-IC-NEW-1pc-/370363045113?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item563b5b94f9
USD22 for a piece?! what a heap of SH*T! whats my EE skills are for?! better make and sell like this one at the price here in EEVBlog and no one will buy!
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline joelby

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 12:36:03 pm »
USD22 for a piece?!

What're you talking about? That's actually not a bad price since it comes with an AD8620, which sells in single quantities for AUD $23.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 01:44:29 pm »
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 01:46:24 pm by shafri »

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 03:29:03 pm »
How can you be sure they're real ICs and not fakes?

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 10:24:01 pm »
There's no way to make sure other than testing them to make sure they work and meet the specification given on the data sheet.

alm

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 01:03:32 pm »
Or buy from a reputable dealer like Digikey, although even that's no 100% guarantee (but neither is testing, even if you have all the proper equipment), but they are pretty careful, since selling fakes could ruin their business. I stick to reputable dealers for expensive things like power transistors, expensive IC's or metal film resistors ;).

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 08:25:47 pm »
how could they do the ic cloning? is it happening to the mcu world as well? this is scary, no specific way to know! unless testing it, even if its passed and stable, we will not sure about the durability/longevity.

alm

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 08:52:06 pm »
I don't think they really clone IC's, they either sell empty packages or relabel/repackage existing devices, for example sell an LM358 as AD8620. I have heard of fraud with FPGAs, so I wouldn't rule out MCUs. As a general rule, I would be more worried about an expensive AD8620 than a jellybean uA741. But I have received carbon film resistors sold and marked as metal film, and this would save them much less than a cent each. The best defense in my opinion is buy from reputable sellers, since it's hard to tell if you got a rejected batch.

• Supporter

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf