Author Topic: Parts bin recommendation  (Read 3771 times)

Offline thomasfuchsTopic starter

Parts bin recommendation
« on: January 14, 2018, 01:33:11 pm »
Hi there! (First post, gulp!)

I’m just starting out and wonder if there’s a recommendation for a good parts bin. Maybe a system that can be easily extended later? Also, is there special bins that are anti-static? I’d love to have something nice (e.g. drawers that fit wel and don’t fall out)  instead of cheap crap. I’m in the US.

Thanks!

Offline danadak

• Super Contributor
  • Reactor Operator SSN-583, Retired EE
Re: Parts bin recommendation
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 03:22:17 pm »
One method is to line plastic part draws with tin foil. You can also
get anti-static cheap foam blocks off ebay for holding thru hole
type parts.

There are even sprays that can mitigate / reduce static.

https://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/partgroup/staticide-topical-antistatic-spray/27735

Regards, Dana.
Love Cypress PSOC, ATTiny, Bit Slice, OpAmps, Oscilloscopes, and Analog Gurus like Pease, Miller, Widlar, Dobkin, obsessed with being an engineer

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 04:34:08 pm »
When I started getting serious about organizing my bench last year I was disappointed that HomeDepot had reduced their offerings to junk. I did find the Stack-On line in stock at my local Lowes. They had the parts bins in three different size/configurations. After that I wound up in Dicks sporting goods in the fishing tackle dept and they had a great assortment of thin plastic cases that have worked well for all sorts of components. I like them because I can take an entire assortment of resistors, capacitors and breadboard wires and move them to where I want to work.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 05:21:34 pm »
I went for compartment tray boxes.  For the reason they are easily mobile and I hate drawer based cabinets with a passion.

I didn't take much heed of static, most of the boxes look like PVC or silicon based white cloudy plastic and that remains to be seen if I have an issue.  I use the black conductive anti static foam to push ICs into.  (You can buy 1m square sheets of it for a few dollars and cut it up).

These things:
https://www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=259_261

I'm sure you can find similar locally.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline Wimberleytech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 06:01:37 pm »
I love these:  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-11-in-Parts-Bin-Organizer-83052N13/204536847
Inexpensive and very well built.  Adjustable bin size.
For all of my Arduino projects, I have all manner of sensors, Arduino boards (nano, mini but NOT Uno), that are handy to get to.  I have one specifically for switches (toggle, rocker, push button of various sizes).

I have conventional drawer bins too but I am slowly gravitating to moving the stuff I get to often to these.

Offline JoeN

• Frequent Contributor
  • We Buy Trannies By The Truckload
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 01:41:29 am »
Not cheap, not anti-static, but it works for me and the bins can be divided into 2 with a divider they sell, it comes with a few:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LDH3JC/
Have You Been Triggered Today?

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 03:39:01 am »
For small quantities of semiconductor type parts, assuming they are from a decent supplier, just leave them in the packaging they're shipped in and store the bags in shoebox sized plastic containers. The boxes with clamp on lids are good for this.

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 03:40:48 am »
I like the Akro-Mills cabinets, but I would go for the 24-drawer one with the larger drawers:

Currently $13 at Menards if you buy it in-store:

https://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/tool-storage/small-parts-tool-organizers/akro-mils-reg-24-drawer-small-parts-storage-cabinet/p-1444423414139.htm

They also have center slot ends so you can divide them length-wise.

For storing resistors, caps, etc., just keep them in their bags or on their tape-reel. One drawer can hold an entire MLCC kit from ebay like this one:

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 04:37:02 am »
Here's some additional possibilities:
For SMD, I like to keep them in the tape (harder to lose, and they're right side up & oriented the same direction while in the tape). So I find the binder solution works than emptying the tape into a small box (saves time in getting the orientation correct before placing it on the PCB).

The black tape used for active components is ESD compliant, and this is really where you need it (carbon loaded plastic). If they're too large for tape, then leave them in the metalized foil bags they come in. Passive components are far more immune to ESD events than active components, so don't require specialized packaging.

For thru-hole, I tend to leave them in the baggies they come in, and stick them in a manila envelope or large compartment in a parts box that snaps shut.

Hope this helps.  :)

* Note that size #1 (the smallest), comes in different colors; Black is carbon filled, which is ESD compliant.
** The AideTek Box-All boxes also come in ESD versions. There's also more sizes available than just what's linked.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 04:40:23 am by nanofrog »

The following users thanked this post: BrianHG, Hextejas

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 05:04:28 am »
I like the Akro-Mills cabinets, but I would go for the 24-drawer one with the larger drawers:

These are my favorite.  The width of the drawers is enough to lay most axial components sideways for 3 different values per drawer with dividers.

Offline JoeN

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 07:31:57 am »
Currently $13 at Menards if you buy it in-store:

https://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/tool-storage/small-parts-tool-organizers/akro-mils-reg-24-drawer-small-parts-storage-cabinet/p-1444423414139.htm

Holy cow, that's a great price, I will be buying a couple of these and I don't even need them right now!  I live in a place where there are many Menards nearby.

I have two of the 64 bin organizers plus two more of the 32 small/12 large organizers, which is another of their options, so I know about this organizer, but I have never seen them this cheap.  Pretty sure I got mine at Fry's for around $25 each.  Menards must have leaned on Akro-Mils hard to get this pricing, it seems like a steal.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 01:33:06 am »
I have two of the 64 bin organizers plus two more of the 32 small/12 large organizers, which is another of their options, so I know about this organizer, but I have never seen them this cheap.  Pretty sure I got mine at Fry's for around $25 each.  Menards must have leaned on Akro-Mils hard to get this pricing, it seems like a steal.
Might be due to the drawer frame on the linked model is plastic rather than metal.  :-//

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 01:55:21 am »
Check out your local 99 cent stores
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline Hextejas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 07:10:22 pm »
Do you label them on either the inside or outside ? And would you use them for resistors, capacitors, etc ?

Thanks

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 08:34:47 pm »
Do you label them on either the inside or outside ? And would you use them for resistors, capacitors, etc ?

I am not sure who "you" is but I use Post-It tape on the outside.  I have tried every label know to man and I always come back to Post-It.  My second choice is Brother label tape.
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 03:06:24 am »
Do you label them on either the inside or outside ? And would you use them for resistors, capacitors, etc?

I label them on the outside.  I used to use handwritten Avery self adhesive labels but the labels fall off after the adhesive dries out.  Now I print out labels onto paper, cut them out, and stick them on using 3M 77 spray.

Usually I also cut the label off of the shipping bag and place it in the bottom of the drawer so I know exactly where the parts came from and their order number.

For parts in smaller numbers, craft stores have hinged lid divided boxes which are less expensive.  Sometimes I find these at Home Depot or Lowes on sale.  I have been using these for parts pulled from existing boards.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2018, 08:07:21 am »
The inside.  If using flip open top boxes like I do you can't read the label when the box is opened.

For resistors I don't label every compartment, I label the X axis and the Y axis.  Eg:

10R, 100R, 1K, 10K, 100K, 1M  - along the x axis

10R, 22R, 47R - up one side of the Y axis.

For the capacitors I couldn't lay them out in decades as I don't have full decades, so I left them in their labelled zip seal bags with the loose ones in the tray underneath.  Eventually if the bags empty I will move the label to the inside of the compartment.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline JoeN

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 06:19:31 am »
Might be due to the drawer frame on the linked model is plastic rather than metal.  :-//

I know what these are since I already have a few, but they are really nice organizers.  Whatever the plastic is, it is good quality and has not warped over the first 5 years or so of my ownership.  And now I have 3 more. :)

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 10:05:45 am »

I know what these are since I already have a few, but they are really nice organizers.  Whatever the plastic is, it is good quality and has not warped over the first 5 years or so of my ownership.  And now I have 3 more. :)
FWIW, I've seen listings for both metal and plastic main shells to hold all the drawers, and the metal ones are usually a bit more expensive IIRC.

I'd not had access to the plastic ones however, and I was wondering if the plastic ones may actually be sturdier than the metal ones these days. Particularly given how many of the metal shells end up damaged in shipping based on reviews and various forums.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2018, 04:13:27 pm »
If you are referring to the Akro-mils small parts cabinets, I have never had either the plastic or metal cabinets fail.

Their old plastic small parts cabinets stacked together which was nice but the only wide drawer one they show now is the 24 drawer model.  The old models could stack the small cabinets on top of the super large cabinets.  I think they stopped making the metal cabinets long ago.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2018, 05:44:06 pm »
If you are referring to the Akro-mils small parts cabinets, I have never had either the plastic or metal cabinets fail.

Their old plastic small parts cabinets stacked together which was nice but the only wide drawer one they show now is the 24 drawer model.  The old models could stack the small cabinets on top of the super large cabinets.  I think they stopped making the metal cabinets long ago.
I was thinking of the 17 series where there was always the risk of warping or worse, most likely from the Gorillas that handled them during shipping rather than failing in service (save perhaps being overloaded). Sorry if there was any confusion on this.  :-[

FWIW, the 17 series is still shown on their website, but apparently is discontinued based on what I found on retailers such as Grainger. Plenty of other stuff they make is still steel though.

I like the stuff from Durham Mfg. as well, but it's not cheap IME unless you stumble on a used unit.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf