Author Topic: PC case - Replace front panel USB (2.0 > 3.0)?  (Read 13987 times)

Offline LeWidgetTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
PC case - Replace front panel USB (2.0 > 3.0)?
« on: March 21, 2014, 12:52:33 pm »
Hey guys,

I have an old computer case that I'm cleaning up to sell, but the front panel USB ports are broken. I'm currently looking on ebay to buy a replacement USB2.0 that I can solder in, but had a thought and was wondering, how hard would it be to upgrade it to a USB 3.0 port?

I'm guessing I may have to update the cable that connects from the front panel > motherboard.

Has anyone done something like this before ?

Regards,

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
Re: PC case - Replace front panel USB (2.0 > 3.0)?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 01:16:24 pm »
USB3 has 4 signal lines more, i.e. you need a new PCB too. Also just a single USB3 port will fit in place of the dual USB2.

Offline rr100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 01:24:47 pm »
It is somehow crazy what's happening with the USB3 things, I've been trying to get just a simple bracket (either back or better front) to expose the already existing (and somehow standard) USB3's from the motherboard and the prices are out of this world.
For the back bracket you sometimes are better off with a dual-port USB3 card! The front ones are even worse.

Also there are some combined usb hub+card reader 2.5 inch "units" to fit in your fdd slot. But again, they're expensive and usually they aren't USB3 everywhere!

Long story short I had to just buy a 1m or so USB3 extension (and even that was something like 3-4 eur even from China) and bring it to front.

Offline Legion

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 01:27:20 pm »
The motherboard would have to have a USB 3 chipset to support it. Replacing the socket isn't enough.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 01:28:35 pm »
USB3 has 4 signal lines more, i.e. you need a new PCB too. Also just a single USB3 port will fit in place of the dual USB2.

Thanks Madires :)

I had a look online, but can't seem to find a PCB that matches that of mine :\. The design doesn't seem fancy, a rectangle PCB with a couple different components (im a newby :\). Have you seen any sites that would sell boards similar to this ?

I'd still would prefer to get a dual port though, so there won't be a gap too.

Thanks again :)

Offline kolonelkadat

• Regular Contributor
  • Obviously, windows are central to Windows.
    • Force Project X
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 01:41:55 pm »
in my experience, every original equipment manufacturer makes a custom board for their case. so basically you can go to a store that sells your case and steal the usb board from the display

or

you can go here and buy one of these http://www.mouser.com/Connectors/USB-Connectors/_/N-88hmf?P=1yzudq8Z1z0xbml&FS=True

then just put it on.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 01:57:06 pm »
Thanks RR100, Legion, Kolonel,

RR100: Considered a front bay screw type USB, but decided to leave it clear.

Legion: True, I figured pretty much any new board these days has USB3 almost, so had hoped a little upgrade to the case might benefit.

Kolonel: Unfortunately my case is much too old :\., it's the older Antec Super Lanboy case that came out about 10 or so years ago :\. I had a look online for any aftermarket boards someone may have created, but no luck.

I think in the end I'll have to stick with just soldering on a new USB2 dual port & leave the USB3 option to the new owner.

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate all the responses :)

Regards,

Offline Legion

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 03:54:21 pm »
Sorry, misread the question. Thought the old case and mobo were staying together.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 03:14:13 am »
Sorry, misread the question. Thought the old case and mobo were staying together.

All good :) , being seperated, haven't used this case in  loooong time :)

Looking at the little PCB board though, how card/expensive would it be to get just the board (same physical size) made for a usb3 port? By the looks of it, it doesn't look like a complex deisgn. (note: I don't know anything about electronics at the moment, so I could be wrong.)

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 08:16:20 am »
Dunno first hand, but I bet it would cost more than a case with a USB3 socket.
Sad really that it is so often cheaper to throw away and replace than to "update".

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 02:27:17 pm »
I just ordered a USB 3.0 front panel with 2 connectors from Newegg yesterday. It's made to fit in a 3.5 inch drive bay (looks kind of like a floppy drive). It was only $10.99 with "free shipping". As long as you're using a newer motherboard that actually has USB 3.0 and the standard 20 pin header connector on it this may be a solution.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999246

I'm assuming you're in America, the price may be higher or it may not be available outside the U.S.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 03:13:35 pm »
Thanks guys :)

rdl: Australia, but have seen them similar price in shops. I think that might be the best way to go as it looks like the case has a couple floppy bay free :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf