Author Topic: PCB design: Copper Connection was bought out, looking for replacement :(  (Read 8012 times)

Offline lehamTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
So I found this really easy to use PCB and schematic design software a few months back, called Robot Room Copper Connection.

As a beginner I found it really easy to learn how PCB design worked, there where two main 'versions';
Free, which was the full program, you just couldn't export gerbers (transfer printing was available for DIY pcbs)
Paid (about $70AUD), this enabled you to export gerber and go through a pcb manufacturer

You can do up to 4 layer boards, I think as big as you want, with silk screen.. There is a large library included for various types of components and a tool to design your own..

This software worked really well for me and I had saved up over the last few months to purchase the one off licence (keys aren't authenticated with a external server), I'm thinking "you ripper!"

Go to Robot rooms site, click on the purchase link and BOOM! I am teleport-ed through my crappy ADSL connection to.... Express PCB!!

___Now a little backstory, I had tried express pcbs software in the past and didn't like it, that's why I went with copper connection___ 

Hmmm, I thought, looks like express pcb bought them out.... But look! the software is still available!  I'll download it and see if the full export options are now free, this would mean a royal trip to KFC to spend the money I had saved!

Downloading................ remember ADSL......... downloading.............DONE!  -microwave ping!-

Ok I'm just going to make a simple pcb and expor...... OH WAIT I CAN'T!!!

Ahh yes, ALL export options have been replaced with "pay ExpressPCB monies" :/

So now I'm looking for a similar program that is just as easy to use, I only want to make simple 2 layer PCBs  :'(  Doesn't have to be fancy new software, even if I have to run it in a VM that is ok!

The other option and I know this is a long shot.. Does anyone have a key, that they are no longer using, that I can buy off them?  (I have the non-butchered version of the software and it seems to do key checking internally)

I should be looking at other programs, however I am yet to find something this simple to use.

PS: I have been trying to learn how KiKad works but not good so far hahhaha

Thanks heaps in advance for any software recommendations or any other assistance :)

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
DipTrace
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

The following users thanked this post: firehopper

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
I began with pcb express for print transferd, and agree about the learning curve for kicad.

But it does get better. Mainly comes down to learning the new way to make footprints.

As for how to get a code, might see if you can find someone familiar with dissasembling programs and forward your $70 to have them locate the key authenticating code. And nut out something that will be valid.

Once a manufacturer stops providing licence keys i hold much less reservations towards this method.

• Regular Contributor
Hmmm I wonder if such a person is lurking on this forum?

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Just grab KiCad, for hobbyist use there aren't many reasons to use anything else. It's not super intuitive but it's not hard to use either and there are lots of tutorials. All of the hobbyist oriented PCB products I tried were crap.

• Regular Contributor
yeah I've downloaded Ki Cad and have been trying to learn it.
The program seems a bit hard to understand, in the sense functions don't work the way you'd think (coming from the copper connection software)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Watch some tutorials that design a simple board from end to end, it will save you a lot of frustration vs trying to fumble through it on your own. Once you get the workflow down it's not bad. If you try to take shortcuts and skip steps it will lead to a world of frustration.

• Regular Contributor
I was watching daves video on it, more of a first impressions so maybe that's why hah
Exporting gerbers seems overly complicated however? I'm sure there is a good reason.

Know of any good tutorials?

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
exporting gerbers is simple, really.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Yeah it takes about 20 seconds to export gerbers. File> Plot, select layers you want, normally front and back copper, front and back mask, front and back silkscreen, select options, enter the location where you want to put the gerber files and click Plot. Next click Generate drill file, now you're all finished.

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor

Offline Hfuy

If it's any good to anyone, I've got tools which will create gerber and excellon files from expressPCB projects.

As is very clear, this is not expressPCB's intent and the results are likely to be glitchy, as well as very fragile against changes in their code. It may not work properly for any board in particular, and it may stop working at any time, though I may be able to chase their changes to some extent. As such this should be approached with caution, there may be all kinds of problems with it, and I'm not going to release my own code as I don't want to make anyone's life unnecessarily easy.

There are probably features of expressPCB that I don't support and the code I have is based on a rather old version of their software, and I haven't used Copper Connection, so it may not work on recently-created projects at all.

That said, if anyone desperately needs gerbers for a project, leave a message here with a link to the expressPCB files and I'll see what I can do. No promises. No guarantees on turnaround or quality. I will not be responsible for your PCBs coming out wrong but I'll do my best.

HF

Offline galvanix

• Contributor
If it's any good to anyone, I've got tools which will create gerber and excellon files from expressPCB projects.

Would you mind trying to convert these files?
I didn't design them but need the Gerbers to have them manufactured myself.

Thanks!
galvanix

Offline GBowes

• Contributor
Galvanix
For these specific boards there is a safer alternative. The MSA Yahoo group has gerbers in the files section that are available free. Also one of the members is selling remaining PCB sets from a previous group buy. I think he is asking US$25 for a complete set of boards including many useful accessory boards. Shipping to Germany probably isn't cheap but I suspect total cost will still be less than getting your own boards made.
I can vouch for the seller. I bought these boards and they are great quality.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/spectrumanalyzer/files/KF5KOG%20%20SLIMs%20combined%20to%2010cmx10cm%20PCBs/Accessory%20Gerbers/
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/spectrumanalyzer/files/KF5KOG%20%20SLIMs%20combined%20to%2010cmx10cm%20PCBs/MSA%20Gerbers/

If you are not a member of the group you could join -- If you are going to build this MSA, I highly recommend joining. The group is hosted by the original designer and there is a great collective group of knowledge there. Alternatively if you pm me your email, I can email the files.

Graham
p.s I've attached a picture of the PCB's

Would you mind trying to convert these files?
I didn't design them but need the Gerbers to have them manufactured myself.

Thanks!
galvanix

Offline galvanix

• Contributor
Thanks Graham,

I was aware that these PCBs existed but I thought I might get away with getting them manufactured myself, alas Chinese board houses seem to have increased their shipping prices since I last ordered something.

I'm going to give those fellows a shout to acquire the boards.

Offline Hfuy

Hi there

Sorry I'm late, I hadn't even looked at this for six months!

I've downloaded your files and had a look at converting them. This would be the first time we've done any PCBs we didn't design ourselves, and sure enough, it has revealed a couple of problems in the expressPCB to Gerber conversion code. It's close, but a couple of pads are being misplaced or omitted.

If it's still useful, I can have a look at it. If anyone needs anything else done, message me so I get an email about it.

HF

Offline Hfuy

Further to my comments above.

Part of the reason for the conversion problem is that the bottom (green in expressPCB) layer has a large ground plane that is made up of a lot of individual rectangular fills. The two round pads in the upper centre of the bottom layer, called SMA Opt Thru, are made up of two concentric rings of copper, used here to create an isolated pad surrounded by the ground plane.

Is there some reason for this? It's a bit of a pain to handle.

Offline firehopper

• Frequent Contributor
DipTrace

this! it works good. and has up to uhm. 300 pins for free and I think you get 500 as a free upgrade, not for profit though.

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
leham, you haven't been back in quite a while, but ping me a copy of the software and I'll see what i can find, seems express went out of there way to erase it from the internet.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf