Author Topic: PCB designer software questions.  (Read 2127 times)

Offline Chris WilsonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Race car engineer, dog lover, hoarder.
PCB designer software questions.
« on: November 20, 2016, 09:11:39 pm »
If I start trying to use a basic PCB designer software do I *HAVE* to create a new component for the libray should one not already be there? What I mean is say I need to add a pair TC4426 FET driver IC's and the library doesn't have them. Can I lay a generic 8 pin IC on the screen and just use pin numbers?

Do any packages do through hole stuff better than others? I work mainly in through hole.

I always have a feeling that commercial software is more polished than freeware, is there still a free version of Eagle available, their web site is not very clear and no free version seems apparent at this moment. I was looking at Kicad but something seems lacking even when watching YouTube tutorials, it looks kind of clunky?

Finally, the software linked to RS Components, is it standalone or web based?

Thanks.
Best regards,

Chris Wilson.

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
Re: PCB designer software questions.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 11:43:38 pm »
Can't help you with Designspark but I'm a (fairly) long time Eagle user and probably have created >400 custom parts.   Its a PITA if its a custom footprint, but for the most part, creating something with a standard package, say DIP, the only time-consuming part is naming the pins and laying out the schematic symbol in a sensible manner.  Things like putting the power pins on top, ground at bottom, inputs on left, outputs on right, but it isn't the best way all the time. 

A shortcut is using a pre-existing part and copying it to a new libary, then modifying it, or linking it to a new footprint.  The only way I have found to do this is with command-line interface, eg:
Code: [Select]
copy MCP73833.sym@mylibrary.lbr will copy the schematic symbol with that name, from 'mylibrary' to the current library.  If you wish to copy the entire device (schematic symbol, and footprint, linked) then the suffix is '.dev'.

Eagle has *many* libraries available as its attached to Farnell - who often have the symbol/library files available for download.

For the most part it probably has most of the passives you will ever need built in, and quite a few common IC's.  Things like opamps you can just use any opamp that has the same pinout and change its value on the schematic (its 'name' is ICx, IC3 for example, but its value is its part number).  After a while creating a new symbol takes just a few minutes, possibly quicker for < 28 pins.

As far as I'm aware, there is still a free version, with the same limitation is has had for a while now, 100x800mm max dimensions, and only two layer.  For though-hole boards, two layers is generally enough, as for the size, depends on the application!  I haven't had many projects where a larger board was required, and if it was, I simply partitioned the design.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 11:45:30 pm by Buriedcode »

Offline Dago

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronics blog about whatever I happen to build!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 05:07:50 am »
If I start trying to use a basic PCB designer software do I *HAVE* to create a new component for the libray should one not already be there? What I mean is say I need to add a pair TC4426 FET driver IC's and the library doesn't have them. Can I lay a generic 8 pin IC on the screen and just use pin numbers?

Do any packages do through hole stuff better than others? I work mainly in through hole.

I always have a feeling that commercial software is more polished than freeware, is there still a free version of Eagle available, their web site is not very clear and no free version seems apparent at this moment. I was looking at Kicad but something seems lacking even when watching YouTube tutorials, it looks kind of clunky?

Finally, the software linked to RS Components, is it standalone or web based?

Thanks.

The point of a schematic is to be a human readable version of your circuit. Having mysterious blocks with just numbers on them that don't make any sense without a datasheet (and even then laborious to compare the pin mappings) defeats that purpose.

Creating a 8 pin component symbol and footprint shouldn't take more than around a minute or two, and no software will ever have all the components you need in the library so do not try to avoid creating your own components.
Come and check my projects at http://www.dgkelectronics.com ! I also tweet as https://twitter.com/DGKelectronics

The following users thanked this post: alexanderbrevig

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 06:25:42 am »
Find another gate driver. They're very similar most of the time. Duplicate and rename.  :-+

Offline boz

• Regular Contributor
    • Roving Dynamics Ltd
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 06:11:32 pm »
Agree with Jeroen3, lifes too short, just get something with same package and pin layout and use it  :-+
Fearless diver and computer genius

Offline AustinR

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 01:55:51 pm »
There is a freeware version of Eagle and there is also a free educational version as well.

It appears that the installer is the full version, just limited to whatever licensing information is input.

Offline Chris WilsonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Race car engineer, dog lover, hoarder.
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 02:26:29 pm »
All sorted with regard to the Freeware version, it's as the above poster AustinR says, in the setup. Now trying to get the hang of, thanks for all the replies!
Best regards,

Chris Wilson.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf