Author Topic: Pcb Software  (Read 6064 times)

Offline TorqueRangerTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Pcb Software
« on: December 18, 2015, 06:57:15 pm »
I know there alot of threads on which PCB software to use ..   I have tried a couple different ones  found to be a pain  and wind up hand drawing each circuit out on paper . My problems comes as I want to make my own PCB. Is there any software that has like a step by step tutorial on using the software and can it be a free software ??

Thanks

Offline Asim

• Regular Contributor
Re: Pcb Software
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 07:03:45 pm »
You can find youtube tutorials in whatever you pick and it is a learning curve. Hard at the beginning but it gets easier.

I personally use DIPTRACE and it is free with limitations ( 2 layer boards)

Nowadays kicad is being used by the open source community if you are into that.

Offline aaronhance

• Contributor
  • Damit
    • aaronhance.me
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 07:06:55 pm »
I use a premium version of eagle, but they also have free versions, wen you first use any pcb software, there will be a learning curve, but I learned eagle as I was using it and it has a very nice work flow.

Offline AlxDroidDev

• Frequent Contributor
    • Arduino Web Brasil
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 07:39:16 pm »
I personally use DIPTRACE and it is free with limitations ( 2 layer boards)

That makes 2. I really like DipTrace, it is easy to learn, has a very intuitive interface (a merit that Eagle can't claim!), thus being very easy to use. It's parts library is fairly complete, and there are lots of 3rd party libraries out there. Even when the part you need can't be found, it's parts editor is very easy to use.

It's also easy to import/export files from/to other packages, like Eagle.
"The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from." (Andrew S. Tanenbaum)

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 08:47:08 pm »
Another vote for DipTrace here.   I find the Eagle UI completely alien.  I would give up capability for easy of use any time.

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 09:15:37 pm »
EAGLE
DipTrace
DesignSpark
Circuit Maker
KiCAD
NI MultiSim (Mouser Blue "freeware")

EAGLE and KiCAD are the most popular amongst most people, with DipTrace coming in, but having read other forums as well as this, people are getting frustrated with lack of development with DipTrace.

Depends also on your requirements, for example, if you want to run on Linux, most will run fine, but KiCAD and EAGLE offer native versions, where DipTrace runs under WINE, this is not an issue, and i'm sure it runs fine, but just to give you a slightly bigger picture to look at.

I would recommend looking on YouTube or something at videos on these packages, pick a few, perhaps 2 or 3, download and try them out and see which one "feels" the best for you and your workflow.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 10:02:35 pm »

EAGLE-Great books and video's on using Eagle Software

DipTrace- Might look into
DesignSpark- I love Design Spark but can't find any usable  tutorials on using it.. I found a couple on youtube but where jumbled and need some kind of order in order to be useful
Circuit Maker-Never tried it
KiCAD-I tried but I guess never gave it a real go
NI MultiSim (Mouser Blue "freeware")- I was going to try it but don't want to get good using it and then Mouser drop the software then I am screwed..

I might keep working on Eagle but I really Design spark but I get so fustrated on finding the video to learn how to use the software and most times I couldn't even hear anything ..

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 10:19:05 pm »
CIRCUIT MAKER
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 06:23:53 pm »
My main requirement is that I can use the program to make pcb using the toner transfer method and easy to use too that's it ..
Oh how is Orcad ??
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 06:29:47 pm by TorqueRanger »

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 10:12:29 pm »
Orcad is like Altium, fully functional, a pain in the arse to learn unless you spend a fortune on training guides or a lot of time learning it (or pay for the Fedeval course in the case of Altium), oh, and it can be expensive.

It's a professional PCB tool all joking aside, you would be better off starting with something like Circuit Maker, then working your way up to Altium if ultimately that is what you want to do, if you want to mess around a bit and "get stuff done" then any of the free tools will suffice.

To be perfectly honest, if EAGLE had a decent 3D viewer (or a 3D viewer at all) I would probably still be using it!

Offline RJFreeman

• Regular Contributor
    • Australian Technical Production Services
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2015, 05:09:14 am »
if you are starting from Scratch Kicad does have a bit of a learning curve (although i like it)

I found the eagle work flow to be a bit counter intuitive, in that you have to finalise component packages before you have started on the PCB layout - although I did give it a go for several months.

I haven't tried Diptrace so can't comment on it

The problem is that to really assess a PCB CAD properly means that you have to learn to drive it first, and with the newer Integrated Schematic/PCB CADs this takes a fair amount of effort (I started out using Protel Traxedit, (under DOS) which was really just a PCB CAD).

while Traxedit was easy to drive, and Schematic entry in general can feel a bit cumbersome at first when you are not used to it. But when you are using the modern integrated schematic/PCB CADs, Schematic Entry does go a long way to reducing PCB errors.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2015, 02:08:57 am »
I tried Circuit maker but I can't use an online program .. Looking for a good tutorial for DesginSpark and I found a nice pdf for using Eagle and I am working though the Diptrace software ...

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2015, 02:46:29 am »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2015, 06:03:16 am »
http://www.rs-online.com/designspark/electronics/eng/tutorial/designspark-pcb-tutorials-content-list

Youtube is normally quite good also
I know about the list but it's a pain in the arses read and watch and even harder to understand.. So I was to find a better tutorial or something that would be easier to use for designspark..

Offline Dago

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronics blog about whatever I happen to build!
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2015, 06:38:07 am »
DipTrace is very nice.

Definitely not eagle, only good thing about it is you can find a lot of guides for it.
Come and check my projects at http://www.dgkelectronics.com ! I also tweet as https://twitter.com/DGKelectronics

Offline JacquesBBB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2015, 09:10:31 am »
Definitely not eagle

Why are you so definitive. I started to do my first PCB  three months ago. I had turn around several software before without really making the plunge (proteus, kicad, circuit maker). Finally I settle on Eagle because it was native on the Mac,  there was a lot of documentation and tutorial around, and many schematics and pcb drawing made available by  some companies seems  to be in Eagle.

Also I like the fact that  all files are text files, easily editable. The impression is you can do everything with it, with its scripting capabilities (like TeX for scientific publishing for example).

But as it was said by many, Eagle is not intuitive. Which means more that it does not follows the usual consensus
among general GUI. So you have to learn, but if you sit down, and follow some of the largely available
video tutorials, it goes relatively fast.

I am now perfectly happy with Eagle for the small projects I have in mind,
and will stay with Eagle for a while, as I
believe that it is much better to properly know
a tool than to search always for the best one.

Offline picandmix

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2015, 09:39:16 am »
Constantly looking at and trying all those different program will just leave you more confused.

For you needs and  current ability then its clear the top end program like Altium should be avoided.

Everyone has their favourite, but thats typically more becuase its the one they have sat down, used and learnt.

You say you need a tutorial, but a program like DipTrace include its own tutorial which is ideal for the beginner, it just needs you to spend some time and follow them, then some more time trying out your own design.
Also many others for DipTrace on Ytube.

Though many of these program can virtually create the pcb for you from your schematic entry, you can still just your own simple pcb design and print out a page for toner tranfer.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf