Author Topic: Please help me understand this soft latching MOSFET switch  (Read 2530 times)

Offline mianchenTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Please help me understand this soft latching MOSFET switch
« on: January 05, 2014, 01:57:30 pm »
#!Noob Alert!#

I love this little circuit and have used it in a few of my projects. Minimal parts count and easy to make. I'm even thinking of designing a tiny board for it and had the PCB made so I can use it in my other project easily.

Anyway, when I connected this to a headphone amp (TDA1308) I made for my wife, it won't turn off.

I managed to make it work by connecting an LED between the OUT and GND of the switch circuit and increased the cap to 200nF.  I don't want to use an LED in this case, and I don't quite understand why it has to be there to make it work. Please enlighten me.

Offline cowana

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Please help me understand this soft latching MOSFET switch
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 02:13:37 pm »
The LED is acting as a load for the circuit. You should be able to connect the circuit you want to use this for in its place - and you could always add an external load resistor to pull a bit more current if required.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 03:40:18 pm »
It worked after I remove the 100uF cap from the TDA1308 circuit...... no LED or load resistor needed  :-//

Offline Jon86

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 03:52:07 pm »
It worked after I remove the 100uF cap from the TDA1308 circuit...... no LED or load resistor needed  :-//

You shouldn't remove that cap, an amplifier needs decoupling. Did it not turn off at all, or did it turn off after a while?
Death, taxes and diode losses.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 04:50:05 pm »

You shouldn't remove that cap, an amplifier needs decoupling. Did it not turn off at all, or did it turn off after a while?

It didnt turn off at all with the 100uF cap. When the 100uF is replaced with a 1uF cap it works. The amplifier is powered by battery - is 1uF enough of decoupling?

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 05:36:49 pm »
The problem is that the decoupling capacitor has enough charge turn Q1 back on after you switch it off with S1.
You could try putting a diode after your switching circuit, so the charge from the decoupling cap can't flow back. Might as well use a schottky, to reduce the voltage drop.
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 09:34:10 pm »
The problem is that the decoupling capacitor has enough charge turn Q1 back on after you switch it off with S1.
You could try putting a diode after your switching circuit, so the charge from the decoupling cap can't flow back. Might as well use a schottky, to reduce the voltage drop.

:-+ Thank you Dave.  |O why didn't I think of that? I knew it's something to do with the cap but a diode never came across my mind  :palm:

sorted

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf