Author Topic: How to match old-style 240v @ 13.7v AC tranny to match 12v DC LED light strip?  (Read 4232 times)

Offline nzoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hi folks ~ another question if you don't mind...

Rather than commit my mother's bedside light to a landfill, I want to see if I can hack it to power a nice bright LED strip (this one) which runs @ 12v DC.

My tranny puts out 13.7v AC and I have one of those square-block rectifiers for DC but so far nothing else.

The LED product info does not give the LED config (series/parallel) or the forward voltage and I'm stuck on how best to drop the volts to 12v DC. I realize a cheap switch-mode PS would be the most efficient but I hate to add to the landfill and prefer to work with what I've got.

Is an LM317 the way to go, or will a simple series dropping resistor do?

This LED strip seems more complicated than a simple LED and I don't know how to calculate the appropriate resistance/wattage for the array.

Thanks for your input!
Frogman: half man, half frog, but which half?

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
The LED strip looks like it simply contains 9 emitters wired in a 3p3s arrangement. There does not appear to be any electronic regulation.

Your transformer should be fine as long as it can supply 1 A continuously without overheating. You will need to rectify it and then figure out a low value current limiting resistor. As a starting point I would suggest the following calculation, but you may need to adapt it depending on the results you get by experiment:

Drop 2 V across the resistor at a current of 1 A.
Resistor value therefore is 2 ohms.
Power requirement of resistor is 2 W.

Hence, try out a 2 ohm 5 W or 10 W power resistor in series to limit the current. If the LED strip is too bright or the current is too high (measure the voltage drop across the resistor), try a higher resistance like 3 or 4 ohms. Remember the resistor will get warm, so place it where air can circulate around it and make sure it is not touching anything that can be damaged by heat.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 07:38:10 am by IanB »

Offline nzoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Wow! That was fast IanB.

Thank you :)

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
Be careful connecting the led strip to your transformer+rectifier+cap if it's powered at the time and the cap is large.

With no load the transformer will charge the cap up to ~20V.  (sqrt(2)*13.7)
If you then connect the leds they will draw massive current for a millisecond or so until the voltage stabilizes which could damage them.

You really want to power it up with the load already connected to avoid this.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 10:30:26 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
No cap. Just rectifier.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
No cap. Just rectifier.

At 50hz and no cap on the rectifier you will see flicker out of the corner of ya eye.
But yeah, there's no peak voltage issue if a cap is left out of the circuit.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 11:30:48 am by Psi »

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
At 50hz and no cap on the rectifier you will see flicker out of the corner of ya eye.
Full wave rectified 50 Hz AC will produce 100 Hz DC. I doubt flicker will be a problem. Certainly no worse than a fluorescent tube.

Offline nzoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
You guys are a great help - much appreciation!

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
Full wave rectified 50 Hz AC will produce 100 Hz DC. I doubt flicker will be a problem. Certainly no worse than a fluorescent tube.

True, 100hz should be fine.

Try it and see i guess. No point adding a cap if it doesn't need one.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 12:27:49 am by Psi »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf