Author Topic: Polyimide (kapton) tape - is it that expensive?  (Read 6379 times)

Offline TheUnnamedNewbieTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • mmwave RFIC/antenna designer
Polyimide (kapton) tape - is it that expensive?
« on: April 24, 2017, 05:40:37 am »
Hey guys,

I've been wanting to get myself some kapton tape for a while now, and wanted to order some when I order from RS or Farnell next time. However, the ones I find on RS are quite expensive, or at least more than I was expecting. What I'm looking at costs me about 20 euros for a 12.7mm x 33m, 0.076mm thick roll (link at the bottom). Is this a normal price, or should I look at other sources?

http://benl.rs-online.com/web/p/electrical-insulation-tapes/8421115/
The best part about magic is when it stops being magic and becomes science instead

"There was no road, but the people walked on it, and the road came to be, and the people followed it, for the road took the path of least resistance"

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: Polyimide (kapton) tape - is it that expensive?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 05:56:40 am »
Here is the same tape for less than $6 - https://www.amazon.com/BCP-Kapton-Polyimide-Silicone-Adhesive/dp/B00W3FAFP0/

Prices in Europe will be different of course, but there is no reason to overpay to "reputable" suppliers. All that stuff works the same.

Alex

Offline Dago

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronics blog about whatever I happen to build!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 06:41:12 am »
You can get "Koptan" (yes, really!) tape from ebay for < 1$ a roll which seems to work almost as well as the real stuff. Seems to be genuine polyimide (won't be damaged with a soldering iron etc.) and works great. I bought a couple of rolls of each size for like 10-20 $ total...
Come and check my projects at http://www.dgkelectronics.com ! I also tweet as https://twitter.com/DGKelectronics

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 06:47:46 am »
I bought a few rolls of Kapton tape on Taobao a few days ago, very cheap.  :)

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 07:13:01 am »
$1 but it doesnt stick well or strongly as normal paper tape on some material like paper or plastic, even metal where it suppose to be, i mean it does stick but, easily peelable, not sure the original stuff. http://www.ebay.com.my/itm/10mm-100ft-BGA-High-Temperature-Heat-Resistant-Polyimide-Gold-Kapton-Tape-Roll-/192143849284?hash=item2cbcaa7744:g:FwwAAOSwSlBY3Lq~
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 08:04:57 am »
I bought a roll of 3M brand yellow polyester tape and one of 200C Kapton (silicone adhesive), years ago.  Hardly made a dent in them.  Practically a life supply.

There are bigger things to worry about than cheap, shitty tape or paying $40 once in a long while.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

The following users thanked this post: Vtile

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 08:39:36 am »
$1 but it doesnt stick well or strongly as normal paper tape on some material like paper or plastic, even metal where it suppose to be, i mean it does stick but, easily peelable, not sure the original stuff. http://www.ebay.com.my/itm/10mm-100ft-BGA-High-Temperature-Heat-Resistant-Polyimide-Gold-Kapton-Tape-Roll-/192143849284?hash=item2cbcaa7744:g:FwwAAOSwSlBY3Lq~

It is probably the original stuff. That one doesn't stick so well neither. If you need to use it as a fastener then you shouldn't use Kapton tape. It is mostly to be used as an insulator, either electric or thermal (or both).

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 03:00:24 pm »
Kapton tape *is* more expensive but in less demanding applications there are other materials which can be used like Mylar (polyester).  Some of the difference may be the adhesive since it takes a high temperature adhesive to take full advantage of the high temperature capability of Kapton.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 03:03:02 pm »
There is a huge difference in adhesive quality if buying ebay tape. Also Chinese tape usually is very thin. The tape itself seem to withstand temperature about the same.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 03:06:11 pm by wraper »

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 03:07:46 pm »
Note that polyimide is amazing stuff.

It can survive up to nearly red hot temperatures for short periods of time.

It has very high dielectric strength.

It has excellent chemical stability: great resistance to corrosive fumes (other than strong acids or bases), free radicals, high voltage corona, and nuclear radiation.

The stuff can survive re-entry from space*.

(*Not in and of itself, of course, but metallized polyimide film is used to cover the rear surfaces of re-entry modules.  It erodes at a modest rate, doing its job of protecting the module.)

There is almost no reason you should ever need to use such a fantastic and amazing material!  Perhaps just for the convenience of soldering against it (which it's more than comfortable with!).  Fortunately, there's hardly anything that you could substitute for it (everything else is brittle, or melts!), and it's not much more expensive.  Wonderful!

Tim
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 03:10:19 pm by T3sl4co1l »
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 03:08:23 pm »
I bought a few rolls of Kapton tape on Taobao a few days ago, very cheap.  :)
Is chinese Kapton similar to chinese watts?
Everyone knows chinese watts are smaller.

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 03:27:05 pm »
 Quite often used in model railroading, particularly with DCC decoder installation. In many case, the original system was designed to transfer power from the wheels to the motor as cheaply as possible - this usually involved rubbing metal contact surfaces. For DCC decoders, the motor (brushes) MUST be isolated from the wheels, it's a 4 wire system (2 in, 2 out) and never must the output be allowed to contact the input or the magic smoke is quickly released. Kapton tape is preferred since it is thinner (keeps the motor better aligned with the rest of the mechanicals, and space is often at a premium - a mm here or there can be the difference between the body shell fitting back on or not), stronger (resists wearing through), and also far less messy than black electrical tape, which leaves a gooey mess everywhere. I bought a roll some number of years ago and it's probably more than I'll need in a lifetime, but it's there and available whenever I need it.

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 03:34:56 pm »
I just use those tapes to isolate heat while using hot air gun to remove components, so they are not different to me.

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 03:37:44 pm »
I just use those tapes to isolate heat while using hot air gun to remove components, so they are not different to me.
Yes, and others like me are going to use it to surface mount a little patch PCB inside a test equipment, designed to be working for eternity. Where the glue is supposed to hold, be stable, not conduct.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 05:06:45 pm »
I always like referring to Kapton tape as aerospace tape.  We used it to hold assemblies together while they were baked in the oven.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2017, 05:38:59 pm »
I got the rolls I have from tapecase.com I think, I don't recall how much it was but it wasn't terribly expensive. It's very useful stuff, I use it to mask solder when I'm soldering something that doesn't have a mask, to tape a thermocouple to something I want to monitor temporarily. Works well for providing thin electrical isolation, it's good stuff.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf