Author Topic: Possible to make an non-antistatic floor mat antistatic?  (Read 1101 times)

Offline Croy9000Topic starter

• Contributor
Possible to make an non-antistatic floor mat antistatic?
« on: February 24, 2018, 12:33:31 am »
I just received a very large vinyl floor mat online (to cover my carpeted floor) and totally underestimated how much static these things build up :bullshit:. Just walking 3 steps from one side of my home lab to the other gives you a heck of a jolt when grounding yourself.

Short of dumping the mat, any tips on mitigating the effects? I wonder if those solutions like Staticide really work? Any better ideas?

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
Re: Possible to make an non-antistatic floor mat antistatic?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 12:52:21 am »
The Staticide works, so I'd give it a go (acrylic runs ~$50 per gallon, ultra ~$65 per gallon).

I'd also go with an ESD heel strap to dissipate any charge that builds up.

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 01:51:41 am »
   Mix some Dawn dish washing soap with water and wet down the mat with that and let it dry on the mat.  It actually helps.  Our HP-41 calcs were very sensitive to static so we treated the plastic carrying cases with Dawn and it did prevent some static crashes.  Also the fabric softener sheets used in clothes dryers help prevent static so run your mat through a dryer with one of those if you can or else try to rub some of the wax off of the dryer sheet onto your mat.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 05:28:29 am »
It gets very dry here in Canada, spraying carpet or a mat with Downy fabric softener stops static. You can add some water and dilute it.
I'm not sure how it works at stopping "static cling" for laundry, but I have um cheap customers that use it.

Offline Croy9000Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 01:03:36 pm »
Thanks for the tips. Ordered some Staticide 2003 to try.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf