Author Topic: Pot adjustment tools  (Read 2268 times)

Offline Ranger14Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Pot adjustment tools
« on: January 31, 2016, 10:45:50 pm »
Is it necessary to have pot adjustment tools??The reason I ask cause I have work on a new scope that might need some basic calibration andmost time I used a screwdriver for this .. Also is it better to buy a kit of different tools or will the basic one do the job??? I would like to pick one up for the bourns 10turn pots..

Offline Supercharged

• Regular Contributor
Re: Pot adjustment tools
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 10:56:14 pm »
The biggest problem with using a normal screwdriver is, that it might short out some part of the circuit if you slip off. But there probably is a non metal screwdriver included with the probes of the scope, unless its some higher end scope, but in that case you probably shouldn't calibrate it yourself.
Science is about what is, engeneering is about what can be.
-Neil Armstrong

Offline uncle_bob

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 10:56:31 pm »
Hi

As with all questions the real answer is going to be "that depends".

For something like a 10 turn pot, it's rare to need anything other than a normal screwdriver.

For things like a half turn "open frame" pot where the adjustment slot is directly connected to the pot wiper ... yes a plastic or ceramic tool will save some grief.

You mention scopes, so there is another category. Stuff that has high voltages on it can be tricky. A pot that has 2.3KV on all it's terminals is going to be hazardous regardless of it's construction. Unless it has a grounded shaft (like a chassis mount part), use a ceramic tool on it. The same caution (watch out for high voltage) is a generally good one to remember if you have grown up with low voltage stuff. Back years ago (in the days of tubes), getting killed working on circuits was not at all uncommon.....

Bob

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 01:39:54 pm »
Pot adjustment tools are particularly useful for multi-turn trimmer pots. One end usually has the blade recessed into the plastic skirt so that it actually sits over the screw head. Very useful if your applying several turns because it doesn't keep slipping off!
Best Regards, Chris

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 03:27:29 pm »
It should be pointed out that if any of your adjustments are on variable capacitors or tunable inductors (often found in radio and high frequency circuits), then you'll need non-conductive adjustment tools (diddle sticks), because a metal screwdriver blade will alter the capacitance/inductance.
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 04:17:31 pm »
It should be pointed out that if any of your adjustments are on variable capacitors or tunable inductors (often found in radio and high frequency circuits), then you'll need non-conductive adjustment tools (diddle sticks), because a metal screwdriver blade will alter the capacitance/inductance.
I recently received a set of ceramic screwdrivers that I ordered from China. They definitely took the slow boat (~6 weeks) but I was in no particular rush. They are reasonably well made for a ~$1 tool. Non-conductive and non-inductive, and the slightly rough surface of the ceramic also helps grip to prevent "cam out". I think I'll shrink some clear heatshrink tube onto each tip to help prevent damage if when I drop them.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf