Author Topic: Potentiometer signal smoothing  (Read 3341 times)

Offline opampTopic starter

Potentiometer signal smoothing
« on: December 19, 2014, 01:26:21 pm »
Hello!
I need to smooth voltage signal from potentiometer with op amp. Can i do it with op amp active low pass filter? But my circuit have some limitations. Single supply op amp and maybe rail to rail. Supply voltage is 5V. Signal from potentiometer swings from 0.5V to 4.5V What op amp could i use? Please provide some guidence or some sample circuit.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: Potentiometer signal smoothing
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 01:38:58 pm »
I think you need to explain more clearly what you are doing and the cut off frequency and where the noise comes from. If your talking the noise made by the wiper when moved you could put a capacitor across the output. How much filtering is required ?

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 02:44:47 pm »
i think potentiometer tracks are little damaged under a lot of usage. voltage change from 0.4v to 1v are not smooth. i want to smooth it out with some active filter where i could control smoothnes. i think to use lm324 op amp or mc33204like on picture.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 03:05:39 pm »
What is the purpose of the potentiometer, and why isn't it being replaced?

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 03:10:18 pm »
That filter is AC coupled so is no good if you have a DC signal.

Some noise when adjusting a potentiometer is normal. If the potentiometer is worn out then the correct solution is to replace it, rather than masking the problem with a filter.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 03:12:47 pm »
Your questions only raise more questions.  You have jumped directly into "solution space" without fully explaining the situation. Or why you arrived at the conclusion that you could "filter" the signal.

Your amplifier circuit will not work. It is designed as a low-pass filter for AC signals.  Presumably (because you have provided no context) you need a DC signal out of your potentiometer. The circuit you showed has an input capacitor AND an output capacitor. Those will COMPLETELY KILL DEAD any DC signal that you need from your potentiometer.

Suggestion:  Start over again back at the beginning and describe what the gadget is, what the potentiometer does, what is the effect of noise, etc. etc.
It is possible that the solution could be as simple as a capacitor between the pot wiper and ground to "smooth out" the noise when the pot is turned.

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 03:24:45 pm »
Thanks for reply!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf