Author Topic: power factor  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Adrian_Arg.Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
power factor
« on: February 27, 2018, 01:31:37 pm »
Hi, I have a doubt I can make this connection on an oscilloscope, to see the intensity and voltage and calculate the potential, since I do not have an ampirometric clamp, the doubt is for the common raisins that my oscilloscope has

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
Re: power factor
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 11:34:45 pm »
     So long as your transformer is a real linear transformer isolated from the mains, and there is no connection to earth GND anywhere in your illustrated connection, that exact circuit is safe.

If your power supply is a switching transformer which may have one of the source wires connected to earth GND, just like the GND pin on your scope's power plug, which makes connection to the GND on the scope probes, then you may potentially be sending +/-12v, thus high current into the GND clips of your scope.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 11:43:40 pm by BrianHG »

Offline Adrian_Arg.Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 12:13:29 am »
thanks for the answer, if both the transformer and the oscilloscope have no connection to ground. (GND)

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 12:41:14 am »
thanks for the answer, if both the transformer and the oscilloscope have no connection to ground. (GND)
Your scope always has a connection to GND and you should always consider that to be true if you don't have a battery powered scope.  It's only because the transformer in your illustrated circuit is isolated from the mains power that you can safely probe the circuit the way you illustrated.

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 01:40:01 am »
That will work fine and is often done to use an oscilloscope as a quick curve tracer.  Place the ground clips close together.

Offline besauk

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 03:41:19 am »
Also, you would typically invert one of the channels to see a consistent 2 terminal I-V characteristic.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf