Author Topic: Power relay datasheet GU-SS-124DFS clarification/confusion  (Read 3901 times)

Offline retiredcapsTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Power relay datasheet GU-SS-124DFS clarification/confusion
« on: November 29, 2015, 06:50:21 am »
== short version ==
I need help interpreting the markings on this GU-SS-124DFS relay wrt to its datasheet.

== long version ==

My friend, in Canada (120V AC), has a bad relay in a vending (pop) machine.  A picture of it is included.

According the Goodsky datasheet that I found (attached), the following GU-SS-124DFS markings mean for

Type: GU = Quick Contact Tab
Type of Sealing: SS = RT ? Flux Proofed Relays
Number of Pole: 1 = One Pole
Coil Voltage: 24 = 24V coil
Coil Type: D = Standard DC Coil
Contact form: = nil One Form C
Terminal Type: F = Both PCB Terminal & Quick Contact Tabs
Case Type: S = With Flanged Case
Insulation System: nil Standard Class

Since the Contact form is nil (one form C), that implies it is a SPDT as per datasheet.

Here is where I'm confused.

In the Contact Rating table, page 1,  under the column GU (D), it specifies
NC: 10A 240VAC
NO: 20A 240VAC

However, the photo shows

NC: 20A/240VAC
NO: 30A/240VAC

The website to

http://www.goodsky.com.tw/

is always down when I try to access it to find more information.

Question 1) Which is correct?  The datasheet or the markings on the actual relay?

Question 2) If the photo is correct wrt to the contact ratings, then a search on mouser with the following parameters 30A relay, 24VDC coil voltage, SPDT, quick connect terminal yields 3 suitable candidates with W9AS5D52-24 being the most likely match.

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/357/105A_W9A-180345.pdf

However, the datasheet (attached) specifies

NC: 15A/240VAC
NO: 30A/240VAC

Is the NC at 15A something to worry about?  My friend has no means of measuring the amperage when the vending machine is running.  He doesn't live in my city so I have no way of measuring it either.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 06:59:59 am by retiredcaps »

Offline jitter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Power relay datasheet GU-SS-124DFS clarification/confusion
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 09:23:55 am »
Don't you just hate it when the markings and the datasheet contradict eachother?
I'd probably use a "better safe than sorry" approach and replace the defect relay with a type of at least the same ratings as those in the photo.

Having said that, I'd probably also take the failed relay apart to try and find out what caused it to fail. Did the relay fail because it just had its number of cycles and is end of life now, or was it not rated properly for the task? Did another fault take it out? How long was it in service?

Offline Paul Moir

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 10:53:30 pm »
Looking at google cached link:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:VaAtcXRpkZ0J:www.goodsky.com.tw/files/New%2520Datasheet/GU_QCT_relay.pdf+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca&client=ubuntu
it looks like they rerated the D to 20/30A.  Note the file is in the "New Datasheet" directory.

(Hard to read since not PDF, but I can't find a newer version elsewhere)
I'd be thinking about why it died too, probably the one you linked it better.

I wouldn't worry much about the NC contact's rating since it doesn't appear to be used in your picture!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 06:15:54 am »
Don't you just hate it when the markings and the datasheet contradict eachother?
Thanks for responding.

Since I'm still getting the hang of all the terminology and learning what parameters are important, I wasn't sure if I was interpreting the datasheet correctly and thus all my homework and questions.

I probably won't be able to inspect the relay and unless I go on a road trip in the near future.   I do have 3 other boards from him and all failed in the same way.; an obviously blown MOV.  Getting replacements for those were easy.

I'd probably use a "better safe than sorry" approach and replace the defect relay with a type of at least the same ratings as those in the photo.
I agree.

Having said that, I'd probably also take the failed relay apart to try and find out what caused it to fail. Did the relay fail because it just had its number of cycles and is end of life now, or was it not rated properly for the task? Did another fault take it out? How long was it in service?
As for all the other questions, I haven't heard back since the initial request to get a replacement.  Some of his machines are very old so it could have just worn out.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 06:20:18 am »
Looking at google cached link:
it looks like they rerated the D to 20/30A.  Note the file is in the "New Datasheet" directory.
Funny, I tried the cached trick before my post, but I still couldn't access anything on their site.  But the link you provided is exactly what I was looking for and explains the discrepancy.  Your search expertise has save me a lot of grief and sanity.  I appreciate it :-+

Attached here for others in the future.

I'd be thinking about why it died too, probably the one you linked it better.

I wouldn't worry much about the NC contact's rating since it doesn't appear to be used in your picture!
Thanks for answering Question 2 above.  I will confirm that NC is not being used as per picture.  I'm tempted to replace the SPDT with a SPST (one form A) since finding a 30A relay is way easier, but I have no idea if the NC connection is in the vending machine for other future purposes or not.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf