Author Topic: Power supply question.  (Read 2171 times)

Offline IonizedGearsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Power supply question.
« on: February 17, 2013, 10:55:54 pm »
The circuit pictured requires a 15 V and a -15 V rail. There are no grounds and the only power connections are the 15 and -15 voltage rails. Wouldn't this circuit still work if there was 30 volts and a ground in place of the other two voltage rails. I marked the two rails on the picture.
I am an EE with interests in Embedded, RF, Control Systems, and Nanotech.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Power supply question.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 11:12:50 pm »
It would work in a way, but there is an implicit ground not marked on the diagram. The output waves are going to be referenced to 0V so they swing symmetrically positive and negative as AC signals. If you powered the circuit from a 0 to +30 V supply the output signals will be DC biased to +15 V. This most likely is not what you need.

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 03:10:41 am »
It would work in a way, but there is an implicit ground not marked on the diagram. The output waves are going to be referenced to 0V so they swing symmetrically positive and negative as AC signals. If you powered the circuit from a 0 to +30 V supply the output signals will be DC biased to +15 V. This most likely is not what you need.

Ditto the above.  The paragraph on the upper right of page 6 of this data sheet describes this exact situation. http://www.intersil.com/content/dam/Intersil/documents/fn28/fn2864.pdf
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

Offline IonizedGearsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 03:19:44 am »
Oh, thanks
I am an EE with interests in Embedded, RF, Control Systems, and Nanotech.

Offline smashedProton

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 07:07:59 am »
you could put a series 1 uf cap on the output to ac couple it.  It could attenuate your really low frequencies though.
http://www.garrettbaldwin.com/

Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple.

Offline funk1980

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 07:58:22 pm »
You could indeed use a cap on the outputs to remove the CD bias as smashedproton suggests, but it should be calculated depening on the impedance of the next stage and lowest desirable frequency: C=1/2piFR

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf