Author Topic: Powering battery operated devices with bench supply.  (Read 1609 times)

Offline registereduserTopic starter

• Contributor
Powering battery operated devices with bench supply.
« on: January 13, 2019, 07:38:09 pm »
Just wanted to double check before doing something regrettable.

I have a TI-30Xa calculator with dead batteries. 2 @ 1.5v buttons of type GPA76.

It occurred to me to just wire it straight to the 3.3v on my improvise ATX bench supply. I have two concerns.

1. Will the calculator take care of current limiting itself, or do I need to include a resistor. If I do, what value?

2. Is the 3.3 OK, or do I need to drop to  3v?

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
Re: Powering battery operated devices with bench supply.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 07:50:32 pm »
I recommend using a current-limiting resistor, like 47-100 ohms.
I have had some devices latch up and die because the PSU was more powerful than a battery and the voltage rise was too fast when I connected the leads.

You can use a series Schottky diode to drop 3.3V down to 3V. We don't know what the calculator is rated for. EPX76 silver oxide batteries can be 1.6V max.
Maybe use some AAA batteries or something less scary than ATX PSU.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 09:10:57 pm »
Sounds good. I tried to find info on the power needs online with no success.

I'm not too worried about using the ATX, with your suggestions. Thanks for the input.

Offline JoeO

• Frequent Contributor
  • I admit to being deplorable
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 09:47:31 pm »
No one can tell you since no one knows the characteristics of your improvised ATX power supply.  Does it overshoot?  By how much?  For how long?
No one has tested the calculator and specs don't exists to tell you for how long the calculator can withstand the unknown output of your power supply.

If you go to a local store, the cost of the batteries will come close to or exceed the cost of the calculator.  Presently they sell for $8.69 on Amazon.

Good luck!
The day Al Gore was born there were 7,000 polar bears on Earth.
Today, only 26,000 remain.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 10:02:21 pm »
No one can tell you since no one knows the characteristics of your improvised ATX power supply.  Does it overshoot?  By how much?  For how long?

What is meant by overshoot? How can I determine those things?

Offline joseph nicholas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 10:08:42 pm »
When you first apply power to the ATX supply it is possible to get a voltage spike form the unit into the load, or the thing you want to power without the batteries.  This what is meant by voltage spike.  It may overload the device and do some damage.  This can also occur when you turn the ATX off.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 11:25:09 pm »
When you first apply power to the ATX supply it is possible to get a voltage spike form the unit into the load, or the thing you want to power without the batteries.  This what is meant by voltage spike.  It may overload the device and do some damage.  This can also occur when you turn the ATX off.

You say when I turn on the ATX? What if it's already on, then I connect route output through a switch [external to the psu] and turn it on that way? Does that solve the surge problem?

Alternatively, or in conjunction, could I not add an inductor and/or capacitor so smooth it out? I have a few scrounged caps and various transformers from junked tvs and radios. I can identify the caps, but not the coils. Well, I can measure resistance on coils, not inductance. Another post coming soon on that whole situation.

I can only view these psu surges with an oscilloscope, correct? Which isn't coming any time soon.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 11:43:57 pm »
Question:  How much overshoot and for how long would the parts in something like a TI calculator (normally 3V) be likely to withstand?  For example, could the DUT (such as a TI calculator) withstand a Power Supply that had a turn-on or turn-off over shoot ranging between +/-6 Volts (12 Volt total swing) for a duration of 0.5 to 1.0 ms?  Or would that be too much and too long to safely power up and power down such a DUT?  Thx

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 12:41:33 am »
The correct batteries are cheap enough, especially if you want a bunch of them:
https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=gpa76%20battery

But if you want to use something on hand, I'd suggest a couple of AA's instead of that power supply. We're talking about a device whose current draw is is so low you might not be able to measure it with the meter you have.

On the other hand, that calculator is so cheap to buy, go for it. You can't lose much.

Online malagas_on_fire

• Frequent Contributor
  • Kernel Panic
    • Malagas Lair
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 12:44:22 am »
what about using a bigger coin cell and a  improvised holder, for example CR2032?
If one can make knowledge flow than it will go from negative to positve , for real

The following users thanked this post: spec

Offline 6PTsocket

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 06:28:28 pm »
Look on ebay they are dirt cheap with free shipping. There are several other numbers for this size battery but be careful, there are alkalines the same physical size and some sellers cross reference both ways. Either will work but the silver oxide will last longer and has a flatter discharge curve. If you want the better silver zinc, read the fine print. Look for sellers that give an expiration date. People do sell old stock. I have bought button cells on ebay for years with no problems. Make sure the seller has a high approval and a lot of sales.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 12:06:42 pm »
A Schottky diode won't drop 0.3V, at the tiny current taken by the calculator. You could use an ordinary silicon diode which should do the job. A 1k series resistor and 100nF capacitor in parallel with the calculator would also be a good idea.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf