Author Topic: powering high voltage circuit using inductive coupling (small surface)?  (Read 2074 times)

Offline LordHexahedronTopic starter

• Contributor
So out of curiosity - I want to power a high voltage (200V maximum operating, supposedly 140V+, my target is 150-160V, I know that works), low amperage component (2.5-3mA, can safely operate up to 8mA but I've no intention of pushing it past 5; 2.5 is sufficient), this is mostly for fun, anyway - the whole point of my curiosity is if I can do it wirelessly - anyone can wire high voltage, but is it feasible to do with inductive coupling (or any other near-field energy transfer method) when it comes to something roughly covering the surface area of a chessboard square (5.7cm, I'll concede and go as high as 8cm)

Cursory math tells me yes, but I am notoriously good at not understanding realistic bounds.

For example: I have no idea what sort of resistance this circuit would have, I winged it and calculated 1kOhm to 500kOhm ranges (1kOhm, 40kOhm, 500kOhm) and got weird wattage results out.
at 1kOhm it'd be 40W which seems reasonable to me, we can charge phones and whatnot with inductive charging - surely it's possible, with 40kOhm I got 1W, this definitely sounds reasonable but again - the laws of reality don't usually match my math.

Or in other words: before I start wasting a bunch of money (and potentially doing something dangerous), is it feasible to supply 200V 5mA using inductive coupling or some other near-field wireless energy transfer method* (without exceeding the maximum surface area of 8 cm^2)?
Why? Why not?

*(such as Capacitive coupling or Magnetodynamic coupling but I only have a basic understanding of the former and I know nothing about the latter except name)

P.S, if anyone wants to know what the project is - it's just a little toy/puzzle thing involving some nixie tubes, have a couple (dozen, that is - more than I need, always buy more than I need just in case) IN-1's sitting about, as for where 200V 5mA came from - straight from the datasheet, I'm not exactly good at reading russian but I am good enough to extract basic information like that.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 04:58:14 am by LordHexahedron »
la $a0, "NO U" ;cheating, 3 lines prevents me from declaring a proper message.
li $v0, 4
j $01 ;harhar, supposed to have a syscall first but 3 line limit... also jumping to $01 only works in the contrived example - joke code is joke, enjoy.

• Contributor
Re: powering high voltage circuit using inductive coupling (small surface)?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 05:32:11 am »
alright, that gives me some search terms (but more importantly it tells me I'm not wasting my time) - I should be able to figure this out, and if not I'll probably make a new post with my failed circuit so someone smarter than I can tell me where and why I messed up :P (you know, either that or I'll end up electrocuting myself but that's an acceptable risk).

thanks
li $v0, 4
j $01 ;harhar, supposed to have a syscall first but 3 line limit... also jumping to $01 only works in the contrived example - joke code is joke, enjoy.

Offline matseng

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Github
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 09:20:57 am »
I'm sure that I once saw some more technical info on the inductively coupled nixie tube chess set - but I can't find anything good now. :-(

https://hackaday.com/2012/06/27/how-about-a-nice-game-of-nixie-chess/
http://inhabitat.com/glowing-nixie-chess-board-made-from-salvaged-nixie-tubes-by-lasermad/

The following users thanked this post: LordHexahedron

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 09:59:37 am »
I would say if I am to do this, I will use a low voltage source to generate RF using a GaN device class E generator, then couple this energy to another coil, then use a lumped LC network to do impedance matching and get higher voltage, then rectify that with 2 high voltage Schottky diodes connected in charge pump configuration.

well, I'll have to look up what a GaN device is, and what an LC network is - other than that I have a pretty clear idea of what that means.

I'm sure that I once saw some more technical info on the inductively coupled nixie tube chess set - but I can't find anything good now. :-(

https://hackaday.com/2012/06/27/how-about-a-nice-game-of-nixie-chess/
http://inhabitat.com/glowing-nixie-chess-board-made-from-salvaged-nixie-tubes-by-lasermad/

oh. shiny.
Second image is... hacky looking, then again - an ugly hack that works is much better than a beautiful circuit that's fundamentally broken.

Those coils look to be almost 4x larger than I need, but I wager I can probably just make the coil taller or denser to compensate.
li $v0, 4

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf