Author Topic: Practical Electronics for Inventors, 3rd  (Read 112388 times)

Offline casinada

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Practical Electronics for Inventors, 3rd
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2014, 10:11:03 pm »
The official errata site is on the McGraw Hill site
http://www.mhprofessional.com/product.php?isbn=0071771336
just look under the picture of the book and there is a download link.

Still TomC is doing a great job and may be we can help....

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2014, 10:37:34 pm »
Now I found it - from previous experiences I am a bit skeptical about books from Cengage/Delmar Learning, but I'll check it out as well...

I think edition 6 is the latest and it comes with a CD.
I guess it depends on what skill your class is and how much you need to hold their attention.

There will no doubt be mistakes (there always is and finding them means your learning).
What I can't stand is when the author self promotes then makes mistakes.

Edit:

Grob: Basic Electronics - Mitchel E. Schultz
Another good one, I think edition 11e is the latest there is a student CD and is similar to Introduction Into Electronics.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 11:44:41 pm by Shock »
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2014, 11:27:01 pm »
The official errata site is on the McGraw Hill site
http://www.mhprofessional.com/product.php?isbn=0071771336
just look under the picture of the book and there is a download link.

Still TomC is doing a great job and may be we can help....
Thanks for posting that link!

The link to the Bucknel errata (For the second edition of Practical Electronics for Inventors) can be found in the following page:

http://www.eg.bucknell.edu/physics/ph235/

I started working on Chapter 3, seems fairly clean so far.

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2014, 11:40:36 pm »
Introduction Into Electronics - Earl D. Gates

First result, trying to find this book: "The Metric System, Considered with Reference to Its Introduction Into the United States",
Charles Davies, ISBN: 9781290242271  :-DD

Now I found it - from previous experiences I am a bit skeptical about books from Cengage/Delmar Learning, but I'll check it out as well...
I'm not familiar with this book, so I checked it out on Amazon where they usually have previews. It seems to have beautiful graphics, however, the reviews are mostly not flattering. The comments claim the math is somewhat shallow. Below is the link at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Electronics-Earl-Gates/dp/1111128537

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2014, 12:12:20 am »
I'm not familiar with this book, so I checked it out on Amazon where they usually have previews. It seems to have beautiful graphics, however, the reviews are mostly not flattering. The comments claim the math is somewhat shallow. Below is the link at Amazon.

I'm sure they sold more than 8 copies :)  It's in it's 6th edition.
The difference in contrast is some books go into math over the beginners head and lose them in subsequent chapters.

Still easy to read layout but a little more math and lots more exercises.

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2014, 04:30:08 am »

The difference in contrast is some books go into math over the beginners head and lose them in subsequent chapters.

Still easy to read layout but a little more math and lots more exercises.
I agree with you, reviews don't always tell the whole story. Sometimes people don't research before purchasing and are disappointed when what they receive doesn't meet their needs. I'm not familiar with the book by Schultz either, however, the reviews at Amazon are mostly positive. Again, reviews are just a starting point!

Offline uwezi

• Supporter
    • GreenPhotons
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2014, 12:09:00 pm »

Being in its 6th edition is not necessarily a sign of a good book. The text book we currently use with our students has gone through three editions at a pace of about one edition a year. It is difficult for us teachers to keep pace with the changes (like problems, chapter numbering and contents) and it shows in my eyes that the publisher/author/editors are not satisfied with the book themselves.

If on the other hand the book has been around for quite some time and just been adapted to new technologies all the time, a high number of (revised) editions is a good sign.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2014, 12:42:12 pm »
Being in its 6th edition is not necessarily a sign of a good book. The text book we currently use with our students has gone through three editions at a pace of about one edition a year. It is difficult for us teachers to keep pace with the changes (like problems, chapter numbering and contents) and it shows in my eyes that the publisher/author/editors are not satisfied with the book themselves.
If on the other hand the book has been around for quite some time and just been adapted to new technologies all the time, a high number of (revised) editions is a good sign.

Yeah it's been around since 2007.
Actually it's possibly called the "Introduction to Basic Electricity and Electronics Technology" now.
Looks like they added extra technical and industry sections.

You can check out the 6th edition here and the new 2014 book here.

Offline Astroplio

• Regular Contributor
    • Welcome to myrobots
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2014, 12:44:46 pm »
I also own a copy of the 2nd edition of the book and I enjoy it.

At first, I was put off a little by the long list of errata, but now I think I understand why they didn't pay someone to do a proofread; it would screw up publishing deadlines and increase costs. It is good that a hobbyist/student doesn't have to pay insane prices to get ALL this content!

Also, as it is evident here, thanks to the electronics community forums, we can always collaborate and sort out issues like errata anyways.

Now, having said all that, I would like to hear a little more about the additions on the 3rd edition.

Do you think it is worth buying if you already own the 2nd edition; especially the chapter on sensors and microcontrollers, aren't just stuff you will find anyways if you get a microcontroller specific book, ie like "Exploring Arduino by J.Blum" etc
Keep in mind there are already some pages about microcontrollers in 2nd edition and an Appendix E with circuits.

I am leaning towards getting some uC book next (haven't decided which yet), but I would like to hear your thoughts on that. Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 12:58:18 pm by Astroplio »

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2014, 05:19:41 pm »
I also own a copy of the 2nd edition of the book and I enjoy it.

At first, I was put off a little by the long list of errata, but now I think I understand why they didn't pay someone to do a proofread; it would screw up publishing deadlines and increase costs. It is good that a hobbyist/student doesn't have to pay insane prices to get ALL this content!

Also, as it is evident here, thanks to the electronics community forums, we can always collaborate and sort out issues like errata anyways.

Now, having said all that, I would like to hear a little more about the additions on the 3rd edition.

Do you think it is worth buying if you already own the 2nd edition; especially the chapter on sensors and microcontrollers, aren't just stuff you will find anyways if you get a microcontroller specific book, ie like "Exploring Arduino by J.Blum" etc
Keep in mind there are already some pages about microcontrollers in 2nd edition and an Appendix E with circuits.

I am leaning towards getting some uC book next (haven't decided which yet), but I would like to hear your thoughts on that. Thanks.
In my opinion, there is not a dramatic change in content between the two editions. However, there are improvements and additional chapters as you mentioned. I believe that many of the mistakes reported in the Bucknell errata have been satisfactorily corrected and others partially corrected. The possibility of a more accurate edition was one of the main reasons I decided to purchase the third edition. The other reason was that my second edition copy had become somewhat crammed with hand written notes and corrections and the prospect of a clean slate to start over with was enticing. Of less importance but still welcome was the addition of the new chapters. Ultimately is up to you. I think this is an awesome book for the price, and if it's within your budget without excluding other advanced books that you may need I would get it.

Offline uwezi

• Supporter
    • GreenPhotons
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2014, 05:43:56 pm »
...Or maybe there's another equation I'm missing that allows that substitution?

Yes, you are missing something here. All equations stated are completely correct: the first one which is the same as the first part of the second line is how angular frequency and "normal" frequency are related.

The second part of the second equation is based on the fact that the angular cutoff frequency w (actually: omega) is 1 divided by tau. It is not missing but probably stated somewhere before these equations in the book.

(this was a first: the original post disappeared while I was answering  :-DD )
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 05:45:27 pm by uwezi »

Offline Legion

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2014, 07:58:21 pm »
...Or maybe there's another equation I'm missing that allows that substitution?

Yes, you are missing something here. All equations stated are completely correct: the first one which is the same as the first part of the second line is how angular frequency and "normal" frequency are related.

The second part of the second equation is based on the fact that the angular cutoff frequency w (actually: omega) is 1 divided by tau. It is not missing but probably stated somewhere before these equations in the book.

(this was a first: the original post disappeared while I was answering  :-DD )

Yeah, right after posting I found the missing equation on a previous page so I deleted my post. Sorry about that.

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2014, 04:22:45 am »
Hi everybody,

Just an update on the unofficial errata!

I'm now working on page 700+ of the book and will upload the updated document soon.

This will include contributions from members that have reported additional errors via PM. Thanks a lot! :-+

I want to again encourage anyone that suspects a mistake to let me know either via the forum or via PM. If you let me know via the forum I will reply via the forum which will allow other members to participate in validating/correcting the mistake. If you let me know via PM I will respect your privacy and reply via PM.

Offline Chris_PL

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2014, 11:50:38 pm »
Maybe I'm trolling a bit, I own 1st edition, one of the greatest beginners book I think, even after it's a great reference. Did "they" finally convert equations, tables and so on to proper SI? Or is it still oz per inch, degrees F per fortnight in full moon etc., which for 4/6 (don't correct it to 2/3) of the world is a complete WTF?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 11:59:04 pm by Chris_PL »
Safety note: Don't put all your enriched uranium hexafluoride in one bucket. Use at least two or three buckets and keep them in separate corners of the room. This will prevent the premature build-up of a critical mass.  ;)

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2014, 12:30:03 am »
It's more like 6/7ths if you go by population, but if you want to call that 4/6, that's fine with me.

I'm turning pages in my copy now, and I don't see any mention of degrees F per fortnight nor any mention of headlamp fluid.  If you can point to a particular location where it jumps out, I can probably find the correlating page in the new edition and check.

Offline uwezi

• Supporter
    • GreenPhotons
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2014, 09:08:52 pm »
Did "they" finally convert equations, tables and so on to proper SI? Or is it still oz per inch, degrees F per fortnight in full moon etc., which for 4/6 (don't correct it to 2/3) of the world is a complete WTF?

It is a nice blend of units. I got mine today and still have to do more than just browsing, but on page 17 pressure is in PSI and perhaps more funny for us 4/6 on page 39 you will find a table over wire gauges. As far as I remember the AWG numbering is more or less arbitrary anyway, so here resistance is given (as usual for 2/6) in OHMS PER 1000FT, but then there is also a column AREA (CM) (everything is capitalized in this table).  :wtf:

CM ?

Oh yes, there is even a footnote attached to make it clear to all 6/6: A circular mil (CM) is a unit area equal to that of a 1-mil-diameter circle. The CM area of a wire is the square of the mil diameter.  :palm:

Offline Weez

• Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2014, 09:42:57 pm »
As far as I remember the AWG numbering is more or less arbitrary anyway, so here resistance is given (as usual for 2/6) in OHMS PER 1000FT, but then there is also a column AREA (CM) (everything is capitalized in this table).  :wtf:

CM ?

Oh yes, there is even a footnote attached to make it clear to all 6/6: A circular mil (CM) is a unit area equal to that of a 1-mil-diameter circle. The CM area of a wire is the square of the mil diameter.  :palm:

I'm not following you, uwezi.  This is exactly what my textbook (Floyd, 4th ed.) says...is it incorrect?

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2014, 09:47:11 pm »

Whoever came up with that great idea should be taken out and shot. Twice. And resuscitate, and shot a third time.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2014, 03:53:30 am »
As far as I know, CM is popular, at least in the US, because you don't have to use geometry to figure out the area, just need to find the square of the diameter. Just a little bit less math than finding the area in square centimeters, inches, or mils of an inch.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 03:56:11 am by TomC »

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2014, 05:49:55 am »
I just completed the unofficial errata for the third edition, this includes all the errors reported by members of this forum, errors I found on my own, errors reported on the Bucknell errata for the second edition that were not fixed, and errors reported on the official errata for the third edition.

I intend to continue updating this list as additional errors are reported by members of this forum and as I spot additional errors while using the book. The link for the errata is below.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=967A90CA47FD025B!170&authkey=!ACpFP8XYwtzjqmg&ithint=file%2c.pdf

It doesn't yet include the corrected pages. That's going to take a while since so far I've only created corrected pages for chapter 2 and I need to create pages for all the remaining chapters.

Edit: Link no longer functional :-BROKE, see later posts for the updated link.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 11:35:29 pm by TomC »

Offline uwezi

• Supporter
    • GreenPhotons
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2014, 08:05:28 am »
CM ?
I'm not following you, uwezi.  This is exactly what my textbook (Floyd, 4th ed.) says...is it incorrect?
[/quote]

In 4/6 of the world CM in the capitalized header of a table would stand for cm - centimeter, 1/100 of a metre, the SI unit of length (not area).

Offline electrolux

• Regular Contributor
    • Photography
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2014, 12:49:38 pm »
the previous editions were great so this must be awesome. I'll have to take a look at it. ;)
The funniest thing about this signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything its too late to stop reading it.

Offline Chris_PL

• Contributor
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2014, 11:32:50 pm »
Whoever came up with that great idea should be taken out and shot. Twice. And resuscitate, and shot a third time.

And then for a fourth time, just to be safe - unless he'll be still celebrating the Pi-day with all the fuss available :palm:

PS. To Dave or other admins/mods : Why does the standard Greek alphabet pi letter (UTF-8 of course) render as "?", it's just me, or the forum engine?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 11:40:46 pm by Chris_PL »
Safety note: Don't put all your enriched uranium hexafluoride in one bucket. Use at least two or three buckets and keep them in separate corners of the room. This will prevent the premature build-up of a critical mass.  ;)

Offline uwezi

• Supporter
    • GreenPhotons
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2014, 11:02:23 am »

And then for a fourth time, just to be safe - unless he'll be still celebrating the Pi-day with all the fuss available :palm:

PS. To Dave or other admins/mods : Why does the standard Greek alphabet pi letter (UTF-8 of course) render as "?", it's just me, or the forum engine?

It's the forum engine which is not able to handle UTF-8 or unicode. I hade the same problem with other letters, like cyrillic markings of Geiger tubes earlier...

Offline Legion

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2014, 01:23:28 pm »
On page 414 there are some examples of diode applications. For the adjustable waveform clipper and adjustable attenuator there is a point V+. I assume the FG is connected to the terminals on the left.  But what gets hooked up to V+? DC power supply?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf