Author Topic: Probably really stupid filter question about two way speakers?  (Read 1769 times)

Offline rwgast_lowlevellogicdesinTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • LowLevel-LogicDesign
So I just got in to my dream home basically and I have been spending the last few day setting up all the wiring in the house the way I want it, from the mains, to the low voltage and now the home theater.

Long story short I have an old sony 2 channel reciver that puts out 15 watts rms per channel. Its nothing fancy but its enough for me. Im wanting to do alot more work to it like add a filter and woofer and wifi capability. Well I tore the speakers apart tonight for the for the first time since 1993 or whenever it was made (It was a hi dollar system in its time, even has a 5 disc changer lol). I took the speakers apart to replace the speaker wire to a thicker gauge thats color blends in more with my house. These are two way speakers with a woofer and a tweeter... I noticed there is only a 2.2uf cap on the hot wire between the woofer and tweeter.

What is this cap for? I would think its just there to filter any DC offset but my mind keeps telling me there should be some sort of inductor or resistor running to ground to make a hi pass filter. Does a 2.2uf cap magically work as a hi pass filter in some way?

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
Re: Probably really stupid filter question about two way speakers?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 08:06:57 am »
Yes, the 2.2uF cap forms a high-pass filter. No "magic" involved.
The impedance of the series capacitor (the 2.2uF) and the impedance of the tweeter (undisclosed) form a simple and basic high-pass filter, or "crossover" if you wish. There is presumably nothing on the woofer because it mechanically doesn't have response above the crossover frequency.  This is the simplest of "crossover" circuits and is commonly found in low-end consumer speaker systems.

Offline Seekonk

• Super Contributor
Re: Probably really stupid filter question about two way speakers?
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 11:24:36 am »
Infinity had a two way speaker.  Besides the cap for the tweeter they weighted the woofer with putty, a mechanical crossover.  That speaker was TISS TISS BOOM BOOM.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf