Author Topic: Problem with driving a circuit using boost converter from Li-ion Battery  (Read 1756 times)

Offline nitish111Topic starter

• Contributor
Hi All,

I have a device that runs on 9V battery. It consumes about 100 mA @ 8.5 V. I am trying to replace 9V battery with rechargeable Li - ion battery (1 cell nominal 3.7 V). I have connected Li-ion battery to input of LT3580 (schematic attached). The circuit works fine when the load is not connected. The output of LT3580 is around 9.56 V. When I connect the load output voltage of LT3580 drops to battery voltage. According to data sheet this configuration should give me around 500 mA but I am not getting expected output.  :scared: :scared:

http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/datasheet/3580fg.pdf

Offline bktemp

• Super Contributor
It sounds like current limit is tripping to early, maybe a bad pcb layout?

Offline sanwal209

• Regular Contributor
are you using the right inductor? There are few mentioned in datasheet

Offline nitish111Topic starter

• Contributor
Thanks for the reply. Here is my PCB layout. All traces are 10 mil. Do you think there is a problem?

I took a inductor I had handy with me. I will order inductors specified in datasheet. Any other suggestions?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 03:50:08 pm by nitish111 »

Offline bktemp

• Super Contributor
The layout is most likely the problem.
Look at page 15 in the datasheet. It describes all important traces: The switching node must have short and thick traces, much shorter than your ones. Compare the high frequency switching path between your layout and the layout in the datasheet.

The following users thanked this post: nitish111

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
Thanks for the reply. Here is my PCB layout. All traces are 10 mil. Do you think there is a problem?

I took a inductor I had handy with me. I will order inductors specified in datasheet. Any other suggestions?
Calculate the current that is flowing in the inductor. If you don't know the parameters of what you have it could easily be saturating. Be aware that manufacturers all specify the current capability of their inductors in different ways, some might say the value has reduced by 5%, others use 10%. 10mil sounds a bit thin for this but I would not expect this failure mode.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

The following users thanked this post: nitish111

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf