Author Topic: question about radio control distance  (Read 2041 times)

Offline krapplebyTopic starter

• Contributor
question about radio control distance
« on: April 08, 2018, 08:04:22 pm »
Hi all,

quick question..

i am just about to purchase a new drone, but it only has a distance of 150m just wondering if one can increase the distance by adding something like an op amp to the radio frequency output.. Probably a daft question. but one i thought i would ask.?

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
Re: question about radio control distance
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 08:51:08 pm »
Opamp: No.

What frequency band are you operating?

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 08:53:55 pm »
its 2.4ghz

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 09:40:33 pm »
At 2.4 GHz, that's about the range you can expect. You cannot increase output unless you want to get into trouble with the authorities.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 09:42:36 pm »
Why would you want a longer range? You're legally obligated to fly within line of site in most areas.

If you use a proper hobby grade radio system rather than the inexpensive park flyer stuff you can get a range of nearly a mile line of sight. There's nothing you can reasonably do yourself to amplify a 2.4 GHz signal, that's in the microwave range and requires special parts and very careful construction.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 10:21:50 pm »
A more directional antenna would work, then you need to make sure it's aimed at the drone, in order for it to work.

I think this is a bad idea: as mentioned above, you should be able to see the drone at all times. Another possibility is the law in your jurisdiction might prohibit drones with a longer range, than 150m, so it the limit might be imposed in software so merely boosting the transmit power won't work.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 10:34:31 pm »
Thanks for the info guys.. didnt realise it would be against the law.. :)

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 10:45:58 pm »
just wondering if one can increase the distance by adding something like an op amp to the radio frequency output

In theory, yes, in practice, probably not.
Even if you manage to do it in practice, you might break some laws depending from where you are/fly.

So far, this seems to be the record: 10 000 meters altitude (more than 30 000 feet) :o
https://dronesaround.blogspot.ro/2018/03/civil-drone-reached-10-km-altitude.html

Offline Enlargee79

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 12:28:21 am »
Which drone are you talking about? It matters because there are a lot of different options for various drones, particularly the name brand types such as DJI. Often there are some non electronic things you can do to boost range.

Just for reference, I was able to get my DJI mavic at least as far as 600m away with full signal quality, and there's some videos of folks taking the same model as far as 3km, at which point they have to fly back due to battery power limitations. At 600m it's quite tricky to see, and you're supposed to* have visual sight of it at all times.

One guy flew his dji phantom about 7km and landed on the patio of his villa (clearly he's loaded!) :)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 01:14:46 am »
One guy flew his dji phantom about 7km and landed on the patio of his villa (clearly he's loaded!) :)

As I understand the current regulations, that would be illegal in Australia - even for a properly licenced UAV pilot.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 10:03:25 am »
Legalities aside for the moment.  I'll mention 3 letters.  UHF.  433/435Mhz in the 0.250W to 1W range.  You can order them from China.

Look up "Trappy" or "Black sheep" on Vimeo / Youtube.

Note:  Your video will need to be boosted too.  Assuming it's also a 2.4Ghz or 5.8Ghz downlink, you can use a 500mW transmitter and a 15dB flat antenna with GPS direction tracking to get out beyond 10 miles or so.

How you deal with the authorities or the local HAM radio groups is up to you.

In the past when I was into drones you would probably get away with this, but they are under so much scrutiny today with idiots flying them near airports or over concerts and stuff that they have ruined it for everyone.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 11:49:43 am »
Legalities aside for the moment.  I'll mention 3 letters.  UHF.  433/435Mhz in the 0.250W to 1W range.  You can order them from China.

Right - if it's racing drone, then just build it using right components. In case of "common video drones" - better pick drone that is proven to work long distances: http://3dinsider.com/long-range-drones/. Even Phantom 3 standard can reach 500m in CE region and 1000m in FCC.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 12:33:38 pm »

Right - if it's racing drone, then just build it using right components. In case of "common video drones" - better pick drone that is proven to work long distances: http://3dinsider.com/long-range-drones/. Even Phantom 3 standard can reach 500m in CE region and 1000m in FCC.

Yes, my drone experience is from when you couldn't buy them off the shelf.  The most you could buy from tri's, quads, hex and octo copters were frames and a controller board or OSD and autopilot.

Mine was actually a plane, with 433Mhz 0.5W UHF control link (20km range) with 600mW 2.4GHz video downlink with around 10 miles range with a good gained antenna.  Though I had no tracking for the antenna.  Only used it a few times and didn't explore it's range either.  Video gear bought from securitycam2000 in china.  Totally out of local regulations of course.

"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 05:18:40 am »
As mentioned by paulca there is a lot of equipment available to support long range operation.  Including high gain antennas which are useful in these applications because when you are ten or twenty kilometers away you are varying in direction very much or very quickly.

These setups can run afoul of a variety of laws in various localities.  And the enforcement varies a lot also.  It is very important to understand both the laws and the enforcement in your area before proceeding.

Here in the US, with proper licensing and registration it can be possible to legally operate at very long ranges, but specific radio, pilot and drone licences are required in addition to checking for local ordinances which may further restrict these operations in some cities, counties or states.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf