Author Topic: Realistic TR3000 Reel to Reel no audio out  (Read 1122 times)

Offline joe radioTopic starter

Realistic TR3000 Reel to Reel no audio out
« on: April 21, 2019, 07:20:00 am »
I have a Realistic TR3000 reel to reel player that I am trying to get working. It had the common issue of a "melted " capstan belt. I have never seen a rubber belt get all goopy with age. I was able to find a belt and cleaned the mess and installed the new belt. Now everything works mechanically but I have no audio out. I have no idea how to test heads or where to start looking for the problem. I enjoy working on things like this but I don't really know what I'm looking for I this case. Also, I had just gotten the unit so it never worked for me and probably already had this issue along with the deteriorated capstan belt.

I was hoping someone would be familiar with this model or perhaps reel to reels in general and could prod me in the right direction. I did find an original owners manual that does include a schematic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
Re: Realistic TR3000 Reel to Reel no audio out
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 07:46:12 am »
Check power supply voltages.
Check for dead capacitors.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 09:15:31 am »
This is a link to a thread with some suggestions to try initially. http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=37299

There are a few forums dedicated to audio equipment that might be more fruitful.

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 03:02:36 am »
Thank you both very much. I will check out link and test what I can and let you know what I find.

Online Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 11:01:45 am »
Why would you want to use such a thing?
From what I remember those reels with tape cost more than CD's, which are also already obsolete.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 11:20:15 am »
Because he wants to - non of your business.  ::)
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: newbrain

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 11:33:57 am »
Why would you want to use such a thing?
From what I remember those reels with tape cost more than CD's, which are also already obsolete.
Why do friends go to spend hours trying to outsmart a fish? You could buy a fish at the market cheaper.
Why do people do anything? I favour George Mallory's reason. Mallory is famously quoted as having replied to the question, "Why did you want to climb Mount Everest?" with the retort "Because it's there".

But I'd be OK with nostalgia, experience, pursuit of knowledge, to challenge oneself, bragging rights, joy of sharing and so on.

The following users thanked this post: newbrain

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 06:41:48 am »
This is totally a hobby and a challenge. I have a state of the art stereo set up but enjoy learning and working on the old stuff. I looked at the schematic and tested all the voltages on power supply board. All was good. I ended up dismantling the boards from the machine so I could gain access to replace parts etc. That was quite the job. I used 3M Scotch Code wire markers and unsoldered the wires necessary to remove the boards from the chassis. I unsoldered a couple filter caps and checked value and esr and for being 40-ish years old power supply is at least functioning at this point. I located the Teac X3 service manual online and printed that out.

At this point I guess I'll start checking parts on the amp board. I had tried pre-recorded tapes and only the right VU meter was working with no audio out. In the process of working on it I noticed right VU would be half scale with power on and no tape installed. Left side is totally dead. I'll try to see which transistors and such are in the path. I'm obviously not efficient at this and now have created a major project. I want to get it living again and then will update caps on supply board. I'm kinda freaked out by the numerous trim pots and parts on amps board. The service manual give a lot of mechanical adjustment info but not much direction in regards to electronics, really,  for a putz like me.

An old fella passed away and I was able to purchase a lot of old school (tube) related items. The family is having a sale this Saturday for what is left. I know there were like 3 Akai reel to reels and other old items. I'm going to go there and if it is reasonably priced, I may buy so I have a few to practice on. LOL

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf