Author Topic: Reccomend a switching regulator controller.  (Read 6184 times)

Offline David97Topic starter

• Contributor
Reccomend a switching regulator controller.
« on: July 20, 2014, 06:25:24 am »
Hi everyone. I'm working on a robot that that used a external switching regulator to chop the voltage from 8.4V (2s lipoly) and brought it down to 5V-2A for the microcontroller (and other stuff) and 6V-5A for the motors and motor driver. 

Now I'm trying to reduce weight, so I'm incorporating the step down switching regulators and MCU into a single board. Form the regulators I've pulled apart it seems that they use a switching regulator controller to monitor the input. This then switches the mosfets at the right duty cycle to cut the voltage down. Then just have some generic smoothing stuff after that.

So, I need to find a switching regulator controller or 2 that I can use for my robot. Can anyone recommend a good switching regulator controller for my application?

Thanks.

• Contributor
Re: Reccomend a switching regulator controller.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 08:38:12 am »
Anyone? I've been looking at the tc105, TL5001 or the LTBRZ

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 08:53:29 am »
Anyone? I've been looking at the tc105, TL5001 or the LTBRZ

Really, there are thousands of switching mode regulators on the market. Go to any large (or small) semiconductor manufacturer's web site, or your favorite distributor web sites, and search for what you need.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 08:54:26 am »
From the wording of your post, I'm guessing you're not yet very familiar with how a switched mode power supply works.

I'd respectfully suggest it will be really, really worthwhile for you to do some reading up on how a 'buck converter' works in a lot more detail, before you try and design your own converter. You'll save yourself a lot of frustration in the long run, I promise.

The best learning tool I know of for the purpose is LTSpice, from Linear Technology. They make a wide range of converter ICs, and there are simulation models in LTSpice for most if not all of them. Use it to learn about inductor current, power dissipation, parasitic effects, loop stability, ripple current and bulk capacitance.

Designing a good switched mode power supply isn't easy; you might well find it's better to just buy a pre-assembled module off the shelf.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 02:40:29 pm »
TPS54233?
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 08:55:46 am »
Thanks

Do you think that a MC34063 would be a good choice?

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 08:59:49 am »
No, a mc34063 by itself is only capable of about 0.5-0.75A, you need much more than that. It's also a lousy chip protection-wise, not really suitable for a project like yours.

Offline hamdi.tn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 09:55:53 am »
Go to Texas instrument website, they have a nice web based designing tool , just input you input voltage , output voltage and current, this tool will automatically select the proper controller for your application and give all values of passive component that go with the controller.

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 10:02:08 am »
No, a mc34063 by itself is only capable of about 0.5-0.75A, you need much more than that. It's also a lousy chip protection-wise, not really suitable for a project like yours.

Looking at using this as a buck boost converter with an external mosfet, so current is not a issue (unless I've made a noob mistake). This will only control the mosfet.
Thanks.

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 11:45:57 am »
If you're going to use an external mosfet, go use a proper controller. For example see lm5085, lm5088, lm5116, lm5117 .. they all have solutions in Webench on ti.com's website  (may have to create a free account to see the schematic).

Do a 6v 7-8A switching regulator and then you could use a linear regulator to get 5v @ 2A - use something like lm1085 (1.5v drop at 3a, 1v at about 2a). You lose 2w at 2A using linear regulator to get 5v@2a from 6v, but a switching regulator won't be much more efficient, you're still going to lose about half a watt to one watt and it's probably not worth the extra pcb space and cost of all parts (mosfets, inductors etc)

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 05:37:18 pm »
Thanks

Do you think that a MC34063 would be a good choice?

No, 34063 is never a good choice, under any circumstances.  It's a steaming pile of...

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline nsayer

• Regular Contributor
    • Geppetto Elecronics
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 08:01:59 pm »

Looking at using this as a buck boost converter with an external mosfet, so current is not a issue (unless I've made a noob mistake). This will only control the mosfet.
Thanks.

The MC34063 has a built-in darlington pair for switching. You can coerce it into controlling an external transistor, but the path of least resistance is to just use a different part designed for an external switch.

Someone above mentioned TI's web design tool. I recommend it as well. You do wind up having to tweak the result, as the parts they recommend aren't always the cheapest or most available (they have an obvious preference for TI semiconductors).
Buy my stuff!! It's not at all terrible!! http://tindie.geppettoelectronics.com/

Offline hamdi.tn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 01:16:25 am »
You do wind up having to tweak the result, as the parts they recommend aren't always the cheapest or most available (they have an obvious preference for TI semiconductors).

Most part can be sampled from ti website  ;)

Offline XFDDesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 02:39:01 am »
Frankly, unless you're up to the task of dealing with the nitty-gritty of switcher designs, and the perils involved with them, I suggest going the canned power module route.

TI makes some nice ones: http://www.ti.com/product/lmz22003

No magnetics to design for. No compensation networks to muck with. Drop in, set a few resistors, and move on.

Linear also makes a module, and they make excellent power parts if you do decide to get into the nitty-gritty.

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 07:17:11 am »
why not to buy one of those small and lightweight buck converter modules from china ? those are dirt cheap (cheaper than the IC alone in single piece quantity) and meets your spec of 5V/2A.

regarding the MC34063 - those are good for many applications, but definitely not for 5V/2A with external transistor.... i'm using the 34063 for low current applications (because it's dirt cheap) - making negative rail , or boosting the supply to have enough gate voltage for high-side n-channel drive.

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 08:03:55 am »
Thank you everyone!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf