Author Topic: Recreating mod chip designed for the Playstation 1.  (Read 11327 times)

Offline KatcherTopic starter

• Contributor
  • I have no bloody clue what I am doing.
Re: Recreating mod chip designed for the Playstation 1.
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2018, 07:06:58 pm »
Update time:

So the PIC12F508's came today and I have one soldered to a modchip PCB with pins attached to pads 1, 4, 6, 7, and 8 to connect those cables arduino kits have(dunno what they're called) between it and the PICKIT3 clone I have. Trying to use MPLAB X IPE v5.10, everything seems to be working. The application detects my IC and whatnot and it succeeded in programming it but how do I check to see if everything is fine before I install it in my PS1?

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2018, 02:16:56 am »
If you haven't enabled code protection (why would you?) you can do a readback to compare.

That of course assumes you know the code works; for testing the latter you're probably better just connecting it to the PS1 and trying it out.

The following users thanked this post: Katcher

Offline KatcherTopic starter

• Contributor
  • I have no bloody clue what I am doing.
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2018, 06:31:46 pm »
If you haven't enabled code protection (why would you?) you can do a readback to compare.

That of course assumes you know the code works; for testing the latter you're probably better just connecting it to the PS1 and trying it out.

Couldn't seem to find anything to do with Code Protection in MPLAB but it seems to be off. Flashed the made up modchip with the appropriate Hex for the Slim PS1 and used the wires already in place from the old 12C508A that's been in it for at least 17-18 years now. It thankfully worked despite my crappy SMD soldering work. Next item on the metaphorical shopping list, cheap-ish microscope that isn't pish. There is one weird thing that I'm not sure if it's to do with the modchip. The modded slim PS1's output on the TV via RGB SCART(Luma Sync cable) is all wavy vertically and can be barely noticeable or close to a bad acid trip.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf