Author Topic: Recycling DC?  (Read 2085 times)

Offline OpenCircuitTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Recycling DC?
« on: March 23, 2017, 03:51:39 pm »
I have been tracing this board (ATX Switching Power Supply) trying to understand operation in segments. This one section (below) has me wondering what is going on- ok many of the sections, but this one in particular. I realize it might be difficult to explain not knowing what is beyond the two diodes and the two rectifiers. It looks like DC is flowing back into the rectifier bridge. If so, why? If, wrong then what is the purpose?

My wildest explanation is overflow of DC voltage flowing back into the AC circuit to be recycled raising the efficiency rating, reducing heat and or avoiding DC overload...? Reality, I simply do not know.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 03:53:16 pm by OpenCircuit »

Offline tatus1969

• Super Contributor
  • Resistance is futile - We Are The Watt.
    • keenlab
Re: Recycling DC?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 04:36:46 pm »
sorry, but I don't get the point of what you mean. Maybe you can show the circuit elements that you refer from a picture of the actual PSU.

At least that I can say: there is no such thing as energy flowing back into the AC part. Typical PSUs have the following parts:
- input filtering
- AC -> DC (rectifier plus capacitor)
- optionally active PFC, which is a boost converter sitting between rectifier and capacitor
- high frequency DC -> AC
- transformer
- AC -> DC (rectifier, inductor [in most cases, playing an additional role], capacitor)
- output filtering
plus control circuits.
We Are The Watt - Resistance Is Futile!

Online sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 10:53:02 pm »
I think what you are saying is that before the input bridge rectifier you are seeing a diode attached to each of the live and neutral going somewhere?

If I had to make an uneducated guess, and assuming that your description is correct, I'd say for detecting the line frequency or some such.

Notice that in your thought bubble you have the component and the symbol reversed with respect to each other, the line/band marks the cathode of the diode.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

The following users thanked this post: OpenCircuit

Online sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 10:54:59 pm »
I think what you are saying is that before the input bridge rectifier you are seeing a diode attached to each of the live and neutral going somewhere?

If I had to make an uneducated guess, and assuming that your description is correct, I'd say for detecting the line frequency or some such.

Notice that in your thought bubble you have the component and the symbol reversed with respect to each other, the line/band marks the cathode of the diode.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Online sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 10:59:48 pm »

~~~

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 12:39:01 am »
Ignoring my thought bubble. Sleemanj, would the signal be traveling left through the diodes (S1G; sorry not SG1) or right back into AC current? I have confirmed the bands are on the left.

P.S. Thanks for the responses.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 01:32:09 am »
My $0.02: they are diodes to bring line voltage signal to PFC controller. PFC controller needs to know mains voltage in order to control input current, it needs to sample mains voltage at some point.

Perfect, thanks!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf