Author Topic: Reflow oven  (Read 1091 times)

Offline jgalakTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • KQ2Z
    • Blog, mostly about learning electronics.
Reflow oven
« on: November 30, 2017, 04:19:01 am »
I've been thinking about a DIY reflow oven, and found the guide here:  http://whizoo.com/reflowoven which seems incredibly elaborate.  So I'm wondering - is all the insulation and sealing really necessary?  Can one just retrofit a toaster oven with a temperature controller and call it a day? 

I was thinking that the Inkbird ITC-310T-B ?controller would be very easy to set up to do this (or any of several other similair ones). 

The goal would be to create small prototyping boards, probably nothing over a few square inches.
Blog, mostly about learning electronics: http://kq2z.com/

Offline hamster_nz

• Super Contributor
Re: Reflow oven
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 04:29:05 am »
I just use a SSR in an extension cord, and a thermocouple through the side of a door.

Completly unmodified small toaster oven, was US$25.

Works fine with my 99mm x 99mm boards. Controller doesn't use 'real PID',  just tracks profile. All I have to do is open the door when cooked.
Gaze not into the abyss, lest you become recognized as an abyss domain expert, and they expect you keep gazing into the damn thing.

The following users thanked this post: jgalak

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 04:30:17 am »
I've been thinking about a DIY reflow oven, and found the guide here:  http://whizoo.com/reflowoven which seems incredibly elaborate.  So I'm wondering - is all the insulation and sealing really necessary?  Can one just retrofit a toaster oven with a temperature controller and call it a day? 

I was thinking that the Inkbird ITC-310T-B ?controller would be very easy to set up to do this (or any of several other similair ones). 

The goal would be to create small prototyping boards, probably nothing over a few square inches.
I use a GE toaster oven from Wal Mart.  it was selected because it was the biggest inside!  it has 4 heating rods, two above and two below the rack, running side to side.  I patched in an eBay ramp and soak temperature controller.  I also got a spool of tiny thermocouple wire.  The first board got fried with the thermocouple sensing the air.  I then got the idea of poking the thermocouple into a PTH on the board, and it works like a charm.

I have done boards up to 8 x 11" in it, but usually do several boards about 3" square at one time.

I have done well over 1000 boards with this system.

I did not add any insulation to the oven, just used it as is, except for the temp controller.

Jon

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 04:54:33 am »
OsPID open source PID and Reflow oven controller uses Arduino and works OK for me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf