Author Topic: regular USB and USB micro pinout on PCB?  (Read 5200 times)

Offline prebsTopic starter

regular USB and USB micro pinout on PCB?
« on: August 21, 2013, 12:33:42 pm »

Can anyone confirm that the pinout is correct on this pcb that I am making. Can't really find much documentation on what the standard pinout for these two usbs are. Anyone know ?

Thanks

Offline bbarbour

• Contributor
Re: regular USB and USB micro pinout on PCB?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 12:42:34 pm »
When I'm finalizing my design, I pick a final part and use the datasheet to create and/or verify the design.  I've found that connectors in general are a friggin nightmare sometimes.  It's not like ICs where pin layouts are at least mostly predictable no matter what vendor/chip.  Until I'm at the point where I'm crossing my "T"'s and dotting my "i"'s, I'm not usually concerned about the exact specifics on the layout (just as long as my current template is at least the right dimensions).

Offline rexxar

• Frequent Contributor
    • Forever Tinkering
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 12:52:33 pm »
It depends on the specific connector you get. You can get USB connectors in any orientation at all, so your pinouts could be backwards for half the USB connectors out there. Like bbarbour said, pick a final part, and look at its datasheet.

Offline prebsTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 01:48:02 pm »
But as long as the data sheet confirms what pins are 1,2,3 and 4 ... then I should be fairly safe right? Because a lot of the data sheets i've been looking at, for a number of connectors, only show pins not "vcc, gnd, d+ and d-".

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 05:19:23 pm »

Offline bbarbour

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 05:47:05 pm »
Most of the time, the PCB pins/pads should roughly correspond to the receptacle's configuration (sometimes they are staggered on the board for dense layouts and the staggering method is up to the manufacturer).  For simple connectors like USB, I'd go out on a limb and say yes, PCB pins 1, 2, 3, 4 should correspond to the USB standard.

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 12:06:41 am »
One good resource for making sure you get land patterns correct is look at a layout and pinout for some open source PCB.  I usually go check out some Sparkfun breakout board or something.

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 07:02:22 am »
Most of the USB-B (device) full-sized connectors I've seen use a 2x2 layout for the pins.

Offline metalphreak

• Frequent Contributor
  • http://d.av.id.au
    • D.av.id.AU
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 12:44:15 pm »

It looks like you have the layout for the connector on the left, which is probably not what you want?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf