Author Topic: Reliable Step Up/Down Transformer For Usage With US/EU Power?  (Read 10389 times)

Offline Boris_yoTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Reliable Step Up/Down Transformer For Usage With US/EU Power?
« on: January 15, 2014, 12:13:35 pm »
I wanted to use my cordless drill/screwdriver and another products that are made to be used with US electricity in my country. We have 220- 230V and 50Hz power standard here. I could locate proper charger for power tool but this would be solution specific only to this power tool. What if I have kitchen appliances made to be used in US or something else where above solution will not be appropriate? This is where step up/down voltage transformers come and so far there are mixed Amazon reviews on many and not that encouraging:

1. GoldSource STU-1000 seems to be of low quality wormanship according to negative reviews

2. Power Bright VC1000W seems to be same

3. Rockstone Power 1000W seems more reliable than above

4. AU-1000 ACUPWR (TM) this one is made in USA with premium copper and looks like heavy beast weighing 7 lbs. I saw it through reply to negative review of one of first two products. Person told he has been using ACUPWR for years and so far so good.

5. Diamond Series Voltage Transformers are ones that do not appear on Amazon so I have no way of knowing about these with absense of reviews. They offer 5 year warranty though but just thinking about using warranty being outside of US and hassle of shipping back etc. makes me think twice.

I read review that said that someone used voltage transformer with mixer and burned its motor. People replied that mixer probably did not support power frequency that transformer was outputting so 50Hz and 60Hz should be taken into account too but I have not found anything in descriptions of above products mentioning power frequency of products. I assume voltage transformers convert only voltages but not power frequency i.e. 50Hz to 60Hz and vice versa.

Do any of you use voltage step up/down transformers? If these are any of above, can you share your experience with such product? Maybe you know about brands above and have something to add? Your output is welcome.

What makes it more complex to me is that I am outside of US and use freight forwarder so I pay shipping inside US and international shipping. I also take risk of having DOA product and messing with returns would be a hassle. Same with using warranty because returning defective or malfunctioned product would mean having replacement which is often new product and not fixed. I would have to pay same import taxes for customs clearance again for new product if company decides to offer replacement. That's why I must make sure I get working and reliable voltage transformer.

Online richard.cs

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics engineer from Southampton, UK.
    • Random stuff I've built (mostly non-electronic and fairly dated).
Re: Reliable Step Up/Down Transformer For Usage With US/EU Power?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 01:48:44 pm »
Tell us more about your tools and appliances. If possible post all the electrical information marked on the tool.

Cordless drill chargers (and anything with an electronic switching supply) are likely to be pretty frequency independant, universal motors as on corded drills should also be fine. Induction motors and things with iron-core tansformers will run hotter and may be damaged depending on how much design margin there is. Induction motors will also turn more slowly.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 08:44:37 am »
Tell us more about your tools and appliances. If possible post all the electrical information marked on the tool.

Nothing to tell about them. They all are imported from US and work with US power standard. I want to know about above brands of step up/down voltage transformers and in general about their reliability.

Offline techtalk

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 08:58:50 pm »
Hey! I used the Simran converter and it worked great during my European trip.  :-+ I have tried others like the seven star that haven't worked as well.  |O Hope this helps!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 04:23:24 am »
Hey! I used the Simran converter and it worked great during my European trip.  :-+ I have tried others like the seven star that haven't worked as well.  |O Hope this helps!

You dragged this converter whole trip? Are you serious?

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 05:27:58 pm »
Have you looked at a site transformer, made to run 110 tools from 240 volts, widely available and quite cheap also often to be found in skips on building site due to broken sockets.

http://www.sitebox.ltd.uk/tradesafe-33kva-intermittent-rated-transformer-input-240-voltoutput-110-volt-oTRANS33?paid=googlepaidproducts&gclid=COi17_z52L0CFWT4wgodiCgAhQ

Online mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 05:43:40 pm »
You could also try to find on eBay or some stores an American UPS with true sine wave output (without batteries, they should be relatively cheap). The cheap ups systems use simulated sine wave which may bother some devices, so you should look for true sine wave.

Next, disable the beeping sound and put inside a 230v -> 12v/24v transformer in place of the batteries with some capacitors to smooth out the dc voltage and maybe a couple of fans to keep the inverter happy (normally it's only designed to run for a few minutes until equipment shuts down or battery depletes).  The UPS's inverter will produce 110v 60Hz for everything. 

He has one post, a spammy username (techtalk - talk about what) and a spammy link that doesn't actually work with two keywords in the url ... spam.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 07:12:43 pm »

He has one post, a spammy username (techtalk - talk about what) and a spammy link that doesn't actually work with two keywords in the url ... spam.

But homepage works.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf