Author Topic: Remove Them LEDs  (Read 2777 times)

Offline bumba000Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Remove Them LEDs
« on: October 15, 2015, 07:52:22 pm »
I have a few of these so called lipoly backpacks here for my pro trinkets. I wanted to remove the LED/Diodes from the backpacks, so I did. Now the backpack doesn't charge the battery. So I spent a lot of time studying the schematic and the chip's datasheet yesterday. Then watched Dave's lipo charger video which is what actually helped the most.

I wanted to remove the leds and also have a way of using the trinket / arduino to detect when a usb cable is attached. I have the usb detect part figured out. What I'm having some trouble with is why can't I remove the led diodes? What will I have to do to get them out of the circuit but leave the circuit functional?

https://learn.adafruit.com/system/assets/assets/000/019/692/original/adafruit_products_schem.png?1410888704
http://www.adafruit.com/datasheets/MCP73831.pdf

Please and Thank You, John

EDIT** I guess I can simply replace them with a shottky??
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 08:11:46 pm by bumba000 »

• Regular Contributor
Re: Remove Them LEDs
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 09:09:10 pm »
It seems as though I would like to replace the LEDs with silicone diodes as opposed to shottky diodes. Now I just need to know which size of silicone diodes to use. I have a couple here that are pretty small in size and values but what I'm working on is all surface mount and my silicone diodes are all through hole. So I will need to purchase some new surface mount silicone diodes, but there again I will need to know which value size would be appropriate for the schematic I've linked to above.

Thank You, John

Offline divelectservices

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 09:19:05 pm »
If you just don't want to see them why not just cover them with a small amount of black silicone?

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 09:26:20 pm »
The STAT pin on the MCP73831 is an output and doesn't need to be connected. Removing the Charge and Done LEDs should not prevent operation of the charger, so I would re-check the charger CPB to see if you damaged something else whilst removing them.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 09:42:34 pm »
no. not silicone. thank you though.  As for the stat not being required for operation: I can see from the schematic that what you're saying is true and also from what I think I understand from the MCP73831 datasheet. However. Removing the LED seems to make the charging stop. There is a chance though that I've damaged something while removing them. I still have a few left. Maybe I'll try another. I am gently with a very small razor removing the solder until the led comes free. No heat no prying. Just gentle cut strokes. Charge seems to stop. I'll try again...

Thank You.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 10:32:56 pm »
Post a photograph of your board showing your work.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 10:52:45 pm »
I figured out the problem. I will post a photo in a bit. my cellphone is my camera and it's dead at the moment. (funny I need to charge it too).

Ok. The first one that didn't work without LEDs didn't work because I messed it up by shorting it out with a DMM probe the day I got them. The second one didn't work because I had apparently destroyed a trace that is important to the circuit. Under a magnifying glass I was able to see that the trace was blown like a fuse. I know when this happened. It was when I was moving my project from bench to desk and the pwm lead from the arduino struck the ground pin. I recall hearing a tiny pop sound but nothing seemed to have gone wrong. Later on I removed the LEDs and noticed that the battery was no longer charging.

Very sorry for the confusion guys and I do appreciate all the input. I did fix the "blown" trace with a short piece of 34AWG mag wire and will post a pic shortly. Since I've been typing (and i'm pretty quick) my batteries gone from 3.56 up to 3.62. Thank you.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 12:20:16 am »
Here ya go. The green line is where I repaired the trace using mag wire. Not sure why it looks like I added some kind of socket there. I did not. In person with a magnifying glass it looks great. I promise.

The green arrows point to where the LEDs used to be and the Red arrow points to the STAT leg of the MCP73831 chip. I have the STAT leg attached to my pro trinket. A couple lines of code and I can see when the usb cable is attached. A bit more code and I'll see if it's charging or maintaining.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf