Author Topic: removing smoke smell from old electronics  (Read 20751 times)

Offline dentakuTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
removing smoke smell from old electronics
« on: July 31, 2013, 03:15:49 am »
What's the best method for de-smoking electronics that have been in a smoky house?

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
Re: removing smoke smell from old electronics
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 03:19:21 am »
Wash with acetone or isopropyl alcohol and then leave out in the bright sunlight for a day or two.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 04:10:44 am »
Wash with acetone or isopropyl alcohol and then leave out in the bright sunlight for a day or two.

Yep and for the case and knobs and such - Simple Green.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 05:24:42 am »
Acetone will melt many kinds of plastic so be careful.

Lysol Tub and Tile cleaner can brighten smoke stained cases.

In general what I would do is first use an air hose to blow any dust out of the electronics and that will help quite a bit.  Use alcohol wipes around in the inside and use the tub and tile cleaner on the outside.

I had to clean a laptop used by a chain smoker once at a previous job and my fingers were stained brown from the laptop using the alcohol wipes and I started getting a nicotine buzz.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline ElectroIrradiator

• Frequent Contributor
  • More analog than digital.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 08:22:39 am »
Depending on what type of electronics we are talking about, then there may be no practical method of removing the smell and the residue from the internal works.

Extended baking in the sun on a window sill, while sitting in a well ventilated room, will eventually make some of the smell go away. In a hot climate this may be slightly risky, though, as the heat may locally exceed what the components and synthetic materials can take for very long.

Offline JuKu

• Frequent Contributor
    • LitePlacer - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 09:14:00 am »
Car interior cleaners do oxidation to get rid of tobacco smell. Cover open, overnight in the ox. chamber will work. If not, nothing will.
http://www.liteplacer.com - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 09:57:16 am »
Luckily this seems to be mostly smoke from a house with a wood stove in the kitchen. It was a place quite far in the woods.

I've got 2 oscilloscopes and a bunch of other things from there. The outside cleans off quite well with Windex. The inside will be more work.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 10:22:33 am »
Car interior cleaners do oxidation to get rid of tobacco smell. Cover open, overnight in the ox. chamber will work. If not, nothing will.
Ozone generator. Be careful, ozone attacks plastics (especially soft types) and natural rubber.

Offline Spunky

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 12:08:17 pm »
Prochem smoke neutralizer

Sent from my HUAWEI U9510 using Tapatalk 2

Offline gustavsen

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 06:00:28 pm »
in ham radio is common the use of Baking Soda (Sodium bicarbonate).

1) open your old electronics

2) put into a cardboard box

3) drop a large quantity of Baking soda inside your electronics.

4) make a hole to the box to put a fan (10cm computer)

5) run for a couple of days...

6) clean and assembly all.

7) enjoy it

notes: I do this in the garage since some smell go out of the box.
I use a old PC power supply + a 10cm (4") case fan to force the air.

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 06:30:03 pm »
Ozone generator. Be careful, ozone attacks plastics (especially soft types) and natural rubber.

Yes, and disaster recovery companies have large ozone generators/chambers that they use to clean up smoked-up home furnishings... they may be willing to process small electronics for little or nothing.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 06:44:23 pm »
With Ozone you can pretty much kiss any plastics inside good bye, ozone will very quickly destroy most plastics and other organic materials. It makes PCB materials turn into powder. Even PTFE does not last with exposure to ozone.

Best so far is the bicarb and fan method, other than stripping and washing then making sure it is all dry in an oven then reassemble.

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 08:19:02 pm »
Charcoal?
I second this idea. :-+
Put a small pile of charcoal and your device in a sealed box and leave it for a week. The charcoal should absorb the smell.
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 01:49:40 am »
So you're saying to just remove the insides from the enclosure and sprinkle the baking soda all over everyting?

I'm working on one of the 2 oscilloscopes I bought (a B&K Precision 1472c) from a smoky little house/camp in the woods right now. I cleaned the enclosure very well and it looks nice now but it still would smell If I put it in my computer room and turned it on. The insides are pretty good though. I've had the insides and the enclosure sitting on the deck in the sun for two days (only during the day of course).
If I can't get the smell off the enclosure I think I might just sand off all the paint because I don't care if it's the original colour.

I'm surprised how well old plastic knobs, plastic enclosures, plastic parts boxes and front faceplates clean up with a bit of some kinda Green cleaner and then a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.
It makes a HUGE difference and the really old fashioned knobs don't smell like anything now even after being in smoke since the 50s. Today I Magic Erasered the knobs I salvaged from an Eico 324 RF Frequency Generator. I wonder if they're some bakelite-like substance?

Tomorrow I might try cleaning the stuff I salvaged from an extra smoky EICO 460 oscilloscope. It's extra smoky because we turned it on then went into the next room, after a while it smelled even smokier than normal (the kitchen has a wood stove) and it was the EICO about to burst into flames puffing out smoke :)

If sanding off the paint is the only thing that works for the enclosure I will probably do it to the Advance OS1000A I got too, if it's possible to fix. The rotary switches are crusty and it doesn't seem to want to trigger correctly.
Luckily lots of the little parts where still in their Archer/Radio Shack packages and the contents don't smell.

in ham radio is common the use of Baking Soda (Sodium bicarbonate).

1) open your old electronics

2) put into a cardboard box

3) drop a large quantity of Baking soda inside your electronics.

4) make a hole to the box to put a fan (10cm computer)

5) run for a couple of days...

6) clean and assembly all.

7) enjoy it

notes: I do this in the garage since some smell go out of the box.
I use a old PC power supply + a 10cm (4") case fan to force the air.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 02:46:04 am by dentaku »

Offline Spunky

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2013, 01:27:12 am »

Yes, and disaster recovery companies have large ozone generators/chambers that they use to clean up smoked-up home furnishings... they may be willing to process small electronics for little or nothing.

Most cleaning companies would just use a smoke neutraliser and discharge it through a fogger, close the door and let it run overnight. I've never known anyone use ozone.

I reckon there's no need to look for clever solutions with baking soda when there are plenty of off the shelf chemicals for the job.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2013, 02:55:54 am »
Since it's the enclosure that smells the most I might just sand off the paint and see if that works.
I finally turned it on today in the kitchen with the enclosure removed and it didn't seem to smell like much of anything and all I did was to clean the front face and the knobs with some kinda green cleaner and a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.
The enclosure is still sitting outside and it smells like cleaned smoke :)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2013, 05:26:09 am »
Just wash it with soap then, and let it soak in a solution of fabric softener for a while. If you can get it use some Febreeze on it, it does neutralise the odour.

Offline Radio Tech

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2013, 11:39:10 am »
Depending on what it is. A lot of electronics I disassemble and throw in dish washer. Some I spray with simple green followed by water rinse. If it is not bad and can do a easy cleaning on the bench I will put a clothes dryer sheet in it and place unit in a plastic bag for a few days.  I restore a lot of vintage ham and cb equipment so each one varies a bit.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2013, 01:15:51 pm »
Hmmm... I' going to try putting the 2 Micronta analog meters I got in a closed container with a fabric softner sheet now that I've cleaned them up with the Magic Eraser. They're not badly smoky but they will make good test subjects.

Offline M0BSW

• Frequent Contributor
  • Left this site 2013, they will not delete it ????
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2013, 03:09:31 pm »

What is simple Green , I've not seen anything called that in the UK.
no one would or will tell me how to delete this account

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2013, 03:11:32 pm »
Green fairy washing liquid.......

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2013, 03:51:23 pm »

I guess you don't have Google there either.

Anyway, how do you get rid of the smell of Simple Green?  I think I'd rather have the equipment smell like smoke.

Offline M0BSW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2013, 03:53:04 pm »
OK Sean we have that, I've just learn that the  Little Chef road side cafes are now own by Kuwait, I really don't think we own anything in England now. Green fairy is called Fairy liquid over here.

Offline M0BSW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2013, 03:55:56 pm »

Anyway, how do you get rid of the smell of Simple Green?  I think I'd rather have the equipment smell like smoke.
Oh Yes we do, that's how the American government keep tabs on us see what we are doing over here, now all the bases with the spy planes have gone :-DD, and we have super fast broadband to  Google that's old school.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 04:03:30 pm by M0BSW »

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2013, 04:43:38 pm »
OK Sean we have that, I've just learn that the  Little Chef road side cafes are now own by Kuwait, I really don't think we own anything in England now. Green fairy is called Fairy liquid over here.

Given the amount of oil they use in frying stuff, I guess that's appropriate.

Offline M0BSW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2013, 04:47:29 pm »

Given the amount of oil they use in frying stuff, I guess that's appropriate.
:-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD Nice one :-+

Offline Spunky

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2013, 12:15:50 am »

Oh Yes we do, that's how the American government keep tabs on us see what we are doing over here, now all the bases with the spy planes have gone :-DD, and we have super fast broadband to  Google that's old school.

Nope, still got them. There's a base by me flying UAVs all over the place. Noisy buggers they are too.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2013, 05:28:23 am »

And for those who haven't used it, Simple Green has sort of a strong licorice smell to it.

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2013, 09:57:10 am »
In a hot climate this may be slightly risky, though, as the heat may locally exceed what the components and synthetic materials can take for very long.

Really? If anything designed for day to day use can't stand say... 12-18 hours in direct sunlight at say 40 degrees celsius, it's probably FUBAR anyway.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2013, 10:38:07 am »
Plastics are known to be attacked by the UV in sunlight.

Offline M0BSW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2013, 12:05:36 pm »

Nope, still got them. There's a base by me flying UAVs all over the place. Noisy buggers they are too.
I think we only got Lakenheath now in east anglia, glad when Alconbury closed, the SR71's they were noisy buggers to,it was the A10's Warthog's , that scared everyone where I live, the buggers kept on falling out of the sky,and they flew around with live ammo, that was frightening to.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2013, 03:34:01 pm »
Just to add to this old-ish post. I tried to remove the smoke smell from the enclosure of the B&K Precision 1472C but it's never going to go away SO this morning I tried to sand the paint off but it's too thick and soft.
I ended up using Circa 1850 paint remover and was able to pull the paint right off like a big sheet of rubber. Hopefully that will get rid of the smell.

I might paint it again in a nice blue similar to my Toyota :) A $40 15MHz scope isn't really worth the can of paint but it's still a fun experiment.

The plastic stuff cleaned up nicely enough with Mr. Clean Magic Erasers, Eco Green cleaner and Car Febreeze.

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2013, 04:01:46 pm »
And for those who haven't used it, Simple Green has sort of a strong licorice smell to it.
That is why I use Crystal Simple Green, same stuff without the overpowering smell and green color.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 04:36:24 pm by robrenz »

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2013, 05:33:38 pm »
Try using plastidip to give it a new coat

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2013, 08:20:25 pm »
I found a simple way to make it look nice without bothering with paint.
I took a palm sander with some 100C Aluminium Oxide paper and vigorously sanded the whole newly stripped and slightly scratched up enclosure so it's all shiny with a little random texture to it.

I wonder if it matters that now I've removed that non conductive rubbery paint?
I doubt it because there were exposed unpainted rivets all along the bottom.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 02:24:47 pm by dentaku »

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2013, 02:07:10 am »
I seem to remember that RAF Lakenheath has the only Taco Bell in England and maybe Europe.

Edit: Nope, there's two in Essex and one in Manchester.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 02:09:30 am by Stonent »

Offline LEECH666

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2022, 01:31:53 am »
I find that washing with isoprop works the best for me to remove the dreaded smokeing smell.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf