Author Topic: Replaced Desk Lamp With New G4 12V 20W Bulb but it Blinks?  (Read 3027 times)

Offline Boris_yoTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Replaced Desk Lamp With New G4 12V 20W Bulb but it Blinks?
« on: April 07, 2013, 02:08:00 pm »
I have had my previous bulb malfunctioned so I decided to buy new and I have got smaller G4 version of old. You can see image below to compare both. The problem with new one is that it starts blinking after a few seconds and you can hear quiet zapping if you stare closely. This was actually the case with old bulb before it malfunctioned and below is video I recorded about new bulb:

Do you think I have problem in desk lamp's upper section? Should I check something with multimeter or wipe specific area?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 08:03:11 am by Boris_yo »

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Replaced Desk Lamp With New G4 12V 20W Bulb but it Blinks?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 08:04:10 am »
My bad guys. I after posting this question it seems I have accidentally locked it from replies. It is now open and everyone is welcome to shed some light on this question.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 09:59:43 am »
Dying electronic ballast in the base of the lamp is most likely, along with a burnt lamp holder base. You can see on the new lamp the legs are going brown from overheating in the middle.

Offline orbiter

• Frequent Contributor
  • -0 Resistance is Futile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 02:49:07 pm »
Have you tried another new bulb? If so and it still flickers. I think I'd be suspecting the ballast/transformer too.

Offline blasto9000

• Contributor
  • Electromechanical
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 08:01:23 pm »
Thermal expansion breaking the contact... light goes out, cools off, makes contact again.

Does the old lamp also have G4 pin spacing?  In the photo it looks like larger pins and spacing.  Maybe the pins on the new G4 are barely making contact when cold.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 07:46:46 am »
Thermal expansion breaking the contact... light goes out, cools off, makes contact again.

Does the old lamp also have G4 pin spacing?  In the photo it looks like larger pins and spacing.  Maybe the pins on the new G4 are barely making contact when cold.

Yeah, the new has pins that are shorter in length and in spacing between 2 pins.

Offline rentner

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 07:54:11 am »
What are you all talking about electronics? :O Isn't that just a simple transformer, a Fuse and a Switch? If so, I'd say, eather the Transformer has a fault, maybe the built in termal fuse, Primary windings or Switch. if not, I am absolutely not sure. Than s omething in the upper section could be wrong. Can you screw it open and post a picture of the lamps upper section after screwing it open?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf