Author Topic: Replacement for 7805 regulator  (Read 19632 times)

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
Re: Replacement for 7805 regulator
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2014, 05:29:02 pm »

But be careful many of the supplies have 3 connections in the barrel jack - outer inner and pin - eg the Dell & HP centre pins are a signal wire. Neither would be suitable for a Spectrum.

I had something like this in mind:
http://fr.rs-online.com/web/p/alimentations-de-bureau/8163812/ (if 5A is not enough, there are more powerful ones available too)

There are also ones with multiple output voltages, if you need higher voltage for peripherals:
http://fr.rs-online.com/web/p/alimentations-de-bureau/4545305/

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2014, 05:57:10 pm »

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2014, 09:38:45 am »
That is not bad (Lambda is a very good brand), but those PSUs are meant to be built into a case/installed inside of a machine. Having uncovered mains terminals laying around (we are talking about replacing a plug pack for a small personal computer here!) is certainly not a good idea. And once you add the work and the cost of a case, you are at (or even beyond) the price of the "laptop"-like PSU ...

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2014, 09:47:44 am »
Thats true it needs a case of somekind and the mains cord and dv cord which all will add up to the cost.
Work I never count, that is why it is a hobby if I would start to count my hours than all hobby projects will be too expensive to start  ;D

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2014, 02:02:25 pm »
Thats true it needs a case of somekind and the mains cord and dv cord which all will add up to the cost.

The pack I have found sells for 35€, the Lambda "naked" one for 20€. That gives you 15€ for a case and cable. Unless you have something laying around, a decent case of that size will be tricky to find for that amount of money, including cable strain relief and any mounting hardware, not to mention the resulting size and how it will look compared to a professionally made pack. And you still have the hassle of actually having to assemble that thing.

Work I never count, that is why it is a hobby if I would start to count my hours than all hobby projects will be too expensive to start  ;D

Yeah, that's true. I meant it more as the "hassle factor" of having to spend time and effort hacking something that I can get ready made if I pay a little extra. I will rather spend time on something more interesting than making a plugpack case :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf