Author Topic: Replacing a LiPo battery with NiMh AAAs?  (Read 783 times)

Offline RyanTTopic starter

• Contributor
Replacing a LiPo battery with NiMh AAAs?
« on: April 22, 2018, 10:29:09 pm »
Hey all,

I'm in a bit of a bind. It's Sunday evening and I need to fix a 10 year old commercial sensor that I don't have the parts for. The sensor had a "non-user-serviceable" LiPo battery that was soldered and then siliconed on to the board, which was then hot glued to the housing, which was then plastic welded shut. What a pain.

The battery was puffed up enough to crack the plastic housing and flex the multi-layer board, one of the leads was badly corroded, and the battery was completely flat. (My strong suspicion is that it was over-discharged and then attempted to charge again.) It was a slightly nerve-wracking trying to cut and pry the battery out without puncturing it.

Anyway, it's a 3.7v 250mAh LiPo, with no charging circuitry (that's built into the board, for all the good it did). I don't have a suitable LiPo battery on hand and won't be able to get parts for a couple of days. Would it be OK to use 3xAAA (1.2v NiMH) in series instead? I do not plan to charge them in-situ, just use them as a 3.6v power source until I can get a proper replacement. Or is the charging logic for LiPos OK for NiMH as well? (From what I remember, NiMH are a bit more tolerant, but I'm not sure.)

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Replacing a LiPo battery with NiMh AAAs?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 10:38:25 pm »
I think the operating voltage of the LiPo will be in the range from 4.2 V down to 3.7 V, while the operating voltage of 3xAA NiMH will be in the range of 3.9 V down to 3.3 V. So the NiMH may be a little under voltage, depending on the tolerance of the device. But it wouldn't hurt to try. Or you could try 3xAA alkaline as a temporary fix as long as the device doesn't try to charge them.

NiMH cannot be charged with a LiPo charger. NiMH require constant current charging with special end of charge detection logic. Using a CC/CV charging algorithm will be likely to overcharge them unless you set the CV voltage quite low (much lower than the LiPo voltage).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf