Author Topic: Resistor Value  (Read 3957 times)

Offline Fisher77Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Resistor Value
« on: January 08, 2017, 07:10:00 am »
Can someone verify that I am calculating this resistor correctly. I am getting it is a 75.4 ohms Is that correct?

« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 07:41:38 am by Fisher77 »

Offline JoeN

• Frequent Contributor
  • We Buy Trannies By The Truckload
Re: Resistor Value
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 09:32:11 am »
I can confirm you need to learn how to use the crop feature in MSPaint.
Have You Been Triggered Today?

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline slicendice

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 09:37:43 am »
Based on the picture I get 75.4? 0.5%

Yes, please use crop to get rid of all extra white in the picture.  ;)

The following users thanked this post: Fisher77

Offline bktemp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 09:56:42 am »
It could also be 750k 5%. Some manufacturers use the last band for coding some other information like fuseable resistor.

Offline SpaceCow

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 01:32:41 pm »

Thanks for my first laugh of the day.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 05:36:15 pm »

I hope this satisfies you. Didn't mean to offend you by not posting what you consider a proper picture. It never ceases to amaze me that someone gets on a forum to ask for help, and instead of help they get some impertinent comment. If you dont have anything to offer other than your insolent comments, then don't say anything at all. Just move along to the next post. This is not the only forum I am a member of, I have many times seen things that did not sit well in my minds eye, but I have not once posted some impudent comment, instead I either give my help, or move along. As can be seen in the picture below, I am perfectly capable of using paint to crop a picture. 

Why does it not surpise me that I have 2 insolent comments from fellow Americans on here, and actual useful information from a Finlander and a German. Thanks slicendice, and bktemp.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 05:45:30 pm by Fisher77 »

Offline shteii01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 06:05:41 pm »
Because we, the Americans, expect our fellow American to be technologically sophisticated.  Not to post crappy out of focus shitty cell phone pic. 

I hope this satisfies you. Didn't mean to offend you by not posting what you consider a proper picture. It never ceases to amaze me that someone gets on a forum to ask for help, and instead of help they get some impertinent comment. If you dont have anything to offer other than your insolent comments, then don't say anything at all. Just move along to the next post. This is not the only forum I am a member of, I have many times seen things that did not sit well in my minds eye, but I have not once posted some impudent comment, instead I either give my help, or move along. As can be seen in the picture below, I am perfectly capable of using paint to crop a picture. 

Why does it not surpise me that I have 2 insolent comments from fellow Americans on here, and actual useful information from a Finlander and a German. Thanks slicendice, and bktemp.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 07:23:14 pm by shteii01 »

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline sainbablo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 06:10:01 pm »
As per picture  it works out  to be 75.4 +/- 0.5% on 5 band chart
but band colours aren't exact match

Offline slicendice

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 06:46:19 pm »
You are very welcome!

Best way to be absolute sure about the value would be to de-solder the resistor and confirm by measuring it.

Offline Johncanfield

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 07:03:11 pm »
Do you know for a fact it's a resistor?

Offline slicendice

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 07:34:25 pm »

Do you mean this could be an inductor?

But isn't first band of 5 on a milspec inductor always silver?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 07:37:29 pm by slicendice »

Offline Andy Watson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 07:37:23 pm »
It could also be 750k 5%. Some manufacturers use the last band for coding some other information like fuseable resistor.
Without more supporting evidence, like the context of the circuit that it is in, my money would be on it being a 750k.

Online mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 07:39:36 pm »
Look around on the pcb. Does it say R something near it, or L something ...  L would mean it's an inductor.

Why don't you grab a multimeter and measure it..

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2017, 07:40:22 pm »

Much too small a sample size to reach such an opinion. I subscribe that it's just a human trait that many just can't help themselves from being an asshole especially via the near antonyms internet.   :-DD

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2017, 07:50:29 pm »
Fisher77, your rant may be justified or not, but the fact remains that the photo you've taken (cropped or not) is useless.
Unfocused and with very limited color rendering.

Submit a better quality pic, and you'll get quality answers.

Cheers.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, MK14

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2017, 08:26:06 pm »
Fisher77, your rant may be justified or not, but the fact remains that the photo you've taken (cropped or not) is useless.
Unfocused and with very limited color rendering.
Submit a better quality pic, and you'll get quality answers.
Cheers.

Thats understandable, but I was forced to use a blown up internet pic because the resistor is cooked. I searced around for an hour trying to find a better picture, but this was the best I found. I could make out the colors on it, so I figured it was good enough. Colors are from left to right on the pic, Violet, Green, Yellow, Gold, Green.

Without more supporting evidence, like the context of the circuit that it is in, my money would be on it being a 750k.

It goes on a TV power supply board. Pic:https://i.imgsafe.org/29aa908dac.png

Look around on the pcb. Does it say R something near it, or L something ...  L would mean it's an inductor.
Why don't you grab a multimeter and measure it..

Says R102 on the board. I wish the fella I am trying to help could measure it, but it is fried.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 09:50:06 pm by Fisher77 »

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2017, 08:38:06 pm »

I agree that sometimes I wonder why people comment at all when they have nothing to say, but in this case I only half agree with you. So yes you are capable of cropping a picture, so why didn't you do that in the first place? Now the way you posted your original question looks like you didn't want to spend an additional minute on it, yet you expect the readers to put time and effort in trying to help you, that is just not the best way to ask questions.
(Just my opinion, and no I'm not from the US)
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, MK14

Offline Andy Watson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2017, 09:01:47 pm »

Try this:
http://www.go-gddq.com/upload/2015-12/15120118183647.pdf
It's not the exactly same but is sufficiently similar to be reasonably confident that R102 is  a 750K 1 watt. The value is not critical but it should be capable of withstanding continuous mains voltage.  You could try reverse-engineering a bit of the surrounding circuit to have more confidence.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2017, 09:23:53 pm »
It never ceases to amaze me that someone gets on a forum to ask for help, and instead of help they get some impertinent comment. If you dont have anything to offer other than your insolent comments, then don't say anything at all. Just move along to the next post. This is not the only forum I am a member of, I have many times seen things that did not sit well in my minds eye, but I have not once posted some impudent comment, instead I either give my help, or move along. As can be seen in the picture below, I am perfectly capable of using paint to crop a picture. 

I think what you need to understand is the message that laziness sends. Not cropping when you know how shows laziness. So when people see a post with visible laziness, they assume this laziness was applied to your research, too. That may not be true, but it's the message it sends.

Quality posts get quality answers, low-quality posts get low-quality answers. Don't get your panties in a twist.

The following users thanked this post: MK14

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2017, 09:43:25 pm »

Try this:
http://www.go-gddq.com/upload/2015-12/15120118183647.pdf
It's not the exactly same but is sufficiently similar to be reasonably confident that R102 is  a 750K 1 watt. The value is not critical but it should be capable of withstanding continuous mains voltage.  You could try reverse-engineering a bit of the surrounding circuit to have more confidence.

Thanks Andy

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf