Author Topic: Resources for O-Scope Current Measuring  (Read 558 times)

Offline ender4171Topic starter

• Contributor
Resources for O-Scope Current Measuring
« on: July 20, 2018, 04:43:40 pm »
Hello,

I am a beginner to oscilloscopes and just purchased a DS1054z (on the recommendations of this forum and Dave).  I have been reading and practicing a lot and have most of the basics down.  I am trying to find information on measuring current without the use of an expensive current probe.

Specifically, I am looking for info on using basic sense/shunt resistors like Dave did in the "How Secure Are Electric Safe Locks" video, or using a ferrite core current transformer (and resistor) like AvE did in the "Testing LED Bulbs For Bad Vibrations. Yep" video.

All of the articles/tutorials/references I have found so far seem to always point to using a purpose-made OTC (i.e. way more expensive than my blood can afford) current probe or assume a level of knowledge I don't yet have.  I have found some stuff discussing shunt resistors but then they have some overly elaborate setup instead of a simple single resistor like Dave used, and I would like to start simple and work up.

I am not looking for any hand holding or for someone to ELI5, I was just hoping someone could point me to some good resources so I can learn for myself.  I know it is possible to use a normal probe and a resistor/transformer to measure current/determine the current waveform.

Any help is much appreciated!!

-Keith

Offline JS

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Resources for O-Scope Current Measuring
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 03:52:14 am »
There's a project running here to build a current probe, there are basically two types for isolated current probes, transformer and hall effect.

The transformer is great for pecission, high bandwidth ac measurements, you can wind one yourself to match your requirements for thebresistor you want to use and the voltage range you need or use a standard transformer like the ones provided for power meters, where you can get the meter and the transformer for $7.

The hall effect sensor allows to measure DC but specs don't go up as nice as in transformers, then you can use them cuttiing a toroid core in halfs to build a clamp or as pass elements with the available ICs, the one with the core is quite easy to go probing arround but the others come calibrated from factory but you have to pinch the wire.

If you have a floating or ground referenced thing to measure you could do with a resistor and an amplifier as the μCurrent, wich is really nice in those cases, DC with really good precision and low burden voltage.

JS

If I don't know how it works, I prefer not to turn it on.

The following users thanked this post: ender4171

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf