Author Topic: Rewind a stator (ignition coils)  (Read 2478 times)

Offline LarsianerTopic starter

Rewind a stator (ignition coils)
« on: March 27, 2019, 12:09:33 am »
Hi, i am neew to this forum, and i want to rewind my stator, cause they go bad all the time, its a arctic cat snowmobile 800 engine, from 2007-2017 (same stator/magneto on all of them)
so my question is can i just measure the diameter on the copper tread, and order a simular tread?
and how to i remove the epoxy.

i can upload pictures if that would help
Hope i can get some inputs

Offline Jwillis

• Super Contributor
Re: Rewind a stator (ignition coils)
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 03:07:08 am »
Ya pictures would help. How much epoxy are you talking about? If its just dipped with a thin coating then just unwinding the wire will probably work.Just make sure that you count the turns of the wire and the direction of the turn ,The new wire must be the same gauge ,length and the number of winding's and direction must be the same as what was removed.

Offline Jwillis

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 03:16:37 am »
Is that the ZTR 800 ?

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 03:23:20 am »
It would be better to know why the stator coils are failing, and which winding.
Is it heat, vibration, dielectric breakdown etc? How do you plan to make it more reliable?
Otherwise, I would pay the $50 and just buy a new one.

Offline Jwillis

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 05:06:12 am »
Overloading is common if after market accessories like seat warmers, grip warmers and extra lights are added. Bad battery can cause problems as well as a faulty regulator.
Corrosion is also common considering the time the snowmobile is stored and how dry the storage is.

Offline LarsianerTopic starter

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 06:15:07 am »
Thanks for all the reply, the stator is from a engine that is sold on all 800 and 1000ccm arcitc cats from 2007-2017
this is how it looks

thing is, that i need to measure the thickness of the wire, its super thin, this stator has its own 12v output coils, and for some reason the ignition coils allways go bad, i think its cause of moist, or cause the tread is super thin

its impossible to find out how many turns, all i know is how much ohm it should have, so any ide, of how i find out how long the copper tread should be
the ohm is 7.2ohm-10.8ohm

(a new stator cost over 1000usd)
and i want to learn how to rewind them

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 08:54:26 pm »
The tough part is getting it it apart. The CDI ignition coils seem to slide out as a separate assembly with their own stub of laminations, after the epoxy is removed or maybe the pins hammered out. If you can get it apart without wrecking it, unlike these pics, salvaging the bobbin or finding a new bobbin is another challenge. There are stators out of china or eBay for cheap, well under $1000.

You could inject a known AC voltage to a stator coil with a known # of turns, and measure the output voltage on the other coils. But the failed coil likely has a shorted turn or break-down at high voltage, but maybe you could get a number. Otherwise, ohms are the only thing to go by.

You can buy magnet wire with better quality and heat-rating on the insulation.
There is 105°C, 155°C and 200°C ratings. An electric motor rewinding shop would have the wire, epoxy, tape, varnish etc. I use them for the supplies or advice.
Use calipers to measure the wire size.

This guy BlainDP http://www.outdoor-electric.com/diagnostic-resources.html rewinds snowmobile stators and has youtube vids. You could ask him. There's other people rewinding these, it seems to be a business i.e.
Rick's Motorsport Electrics
https://www.mfgsupply.com/snowmobile/snowel/snowcoils/snowaccoils/arctic-cat-stators.html
Polaris replacement bobbins

Offline Jwillis

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 09:02:41 pm »
If you can get access to the wire a can measure the  diameter with a Vernier Caliper or micrometer.

Here's a  AWG table to cross reference the diameter to Gauge.https://www.solaris-shop.com/content/American%20Wire%20Gauge%20Conductor%20Size%20Table.pdf

Changing the wire gauge might work if theirs enough room to do so.The number of winding's is  most important to get the correct voltage to the plugs.If the voltage  to high it will shorten the life of the plugs.If it's to low the engine will run like crap.

If you can find out what the output voltage is for the ignition coil then we can calculate the number of winding's based on the core area inside the coil winding.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf