Author Topic: RF DC connector  (Read 3394 times)

Offline idpromnutTopic starter

• Supporter
RF DC connector
« on: September 20, 2014, 04:49:24 pm »
I have seen on many fully enclosed RF modules that require power two DC power connectors: the "feedthru capacitor" for DC power in, and a grounding post.  I have been unable to figure out what the name of the grounding post is (I assume they should be available for purchase somewhere). Does anyone know what name/search terms I should be using for these two connectors?  Thanks!

As a bonus question, is there any "cheap-ish" place to find project boxes that have these DC power connectors already installed, with perhaps SMA connectors already mounted?  8)

Offline GEuser

• Frequent Contributor
  • Is Leaving
Re: RF DC connector
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 04:53:55 pm »
Soon

Offline Alexei.Polkhanov

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 06:58:44 pm »
Those capacitors have different values. They are soldered inside to the board so you have to install them after you inserted and fastened the the board - same for SMA connectors. I have not seen standard RF enclosures - only way you can find one that fits your design is to shop around for already made assemblies and then design your board around old enclosure that you have. You will have to make sure that PCB material you use is of same thickness as well.

Offline fpliuzzi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 07:46:14 pm »
I have seen on many fully enclosed RF modules that require power two DC power connectors: the "feedthru capacitor" for DC power in, and a grounding post.  I have been unable to figure out what the name of the grounding post is ...

If you need a chassis-ground terminal to use along with your feedthrough capacitor, maybe something like this would work. It's a turret terminal that is affixed to the chassis with a #4-40 nut (or a tapped hole if the chassis is thick enough).

http://www.newark.com/keystone/1563/terminal-turret-4-40-thread/dp/96B6599
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 08:26:43 pm by fpliuzzi »

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 09:22:47 am »
As for a RF box,  real guys use an Altoids tin! LOL. 
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline idpromnutTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 08:47:32 pm »
If you need a chassis-ground terminal to use along with your feedthrough capacitor, maybe something like this would work. It's a turret terminal that is affixed to the chassis with a #4-40 nut (or a tapped hole if the chassis is thick enough).

http://www.newark.com/keystone/1563/terminal-turret-4-40-thread/dp/96B6599

Bingo! This is exactly what I was looking for!  Thanks!

Offline fpliuzzi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 09:21:10 pm »
Your welcome idpromnut, glad you found the link useful.

Also, it's funny that VK5RC mentioned the use of Altoids tins for RF enclosures. I've been buying tins that are the same size as the Altoids tins but come in silver, white, and black from this hobby/craft site in Pennsylvania. The tins are handy to have around.

www.clayalley.com/tins.htm 

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 08:28:07 am »
Where is the fun in buying an empty tin?  A mint or two while you solder or fault trace and getting your next project box all at the same time!  HiHi
Most boxes are not predrilled as position of the rf traces at decent frequencies are pretty critical,  often mounting/soldering  the sma connector +/- its coupling capacitor is the last act.
Sources for tin plate boxes might include Kuhne db6nt (EU) MiniKits (Aus)  or Down East Microwave ('murica). 
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf