Author Topic: Multimeter overload protections  (Read 19234 times)

Offline Tobias89

• Contributor
Re: Multimeter overload protections
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2015, 08:37:06 am »
Thanks for the answer!

So you are saying that in ohms range, if we connect 1000V to DMM, the only thing that protects it on pin 20(10) is R2 and internal diodes?

Offline ModemHead

• Frequent Contributor
  • No user-serviceable parts inside.
    • Mr. ModemHead
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2015, 01:22:58 pm »
ModemHead, on your attached image, I assume the green circuitry is part of current source, and R2 and E1 are protection for voltage input? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes, the protection circuit marked in green is basically part of the current source, which comes out through the divider resistors and goes out to the unknown resistance through R1.  (The divider resistors are re-purposed as reference resistors in ohms configuration.)  As noted by Kleinstein, this has to be a low-impedance path back to the ASIC to develop enough test current with a low supply voltage, so this node has the extra protection.  Note that there is a voltage sense input for this node as well (RRS=reference resistor sense).  The ratio of this voltage to the one across the input terminals (OHS), and the reference resistor value, yields the unknown resistance.

So you are saying that in ohms range, if we connect 1000V to DMM, the only thing that protects it on pin 20(10) is R2 and internal diodes?
The voltage sense for the unknown resistance on the input terminals (OHS) is protected by E1 and R2, although E1 would only conduct if a massive voltage overload is present, not rated voltage.  So yes, it looks like R2 and internal diodes are key.

Offline 001

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2017, 07:23:11 pm »
Sorry for necroposting But...

Is it good idea to protect DMMs with new TVS diodes?
TVS diode much faster than varistors etc https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transient-voltage-suppression_diode

Maybe some typical circuit avaliable now?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf