Author Topic: Lab Power supply - is it needed?  (Read 10403 times)

Offline jimjamTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Lab Power supply - is it needed?
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2014, 04:22:44 pm »
AFAIK, the spike in DP832 only occurred during power on, not power off.

Offline Dagon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2014, 05:13:29 pm »
I have one 6632B(wish I money for a couple more), and its extremely easy, take four screws and the top cover slides out, near the output terminals there is a 4 way header, sort of a .1" header but a little bigger, with 4 more screws you pop the front cover off, and the holes for the bananas are already there, just run a x-acto/scalpel to cut the vinil cover, and to give some structural rigidity I used a piece of veroboard, put my bananas, and its done, I also had some plugable terminal blocks that fit nicelly in the header, the two center pins are the GND/V+, the two outer ones are the sense lines, for the sense I just put two 10 ohm resistors in the back, no ideal, but for now its been sufficient.

The fact that the power supply also measures down to 0.01mA(or is it 0.001mA) is great for see how low power is your low power thingy.

And its a thing of beauty to open it up and see the gigantic transformer, money well spent.

Good to know, thanks.
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and bigfoot on the UFO.

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2014, 09:00:21 pm »
Just curious, did you actually bring the connections to the front on yours? Was eyeing these up on ebay a while back but the size and inconvenience put me off.

I just ran a set of wires round to the front and mounted some banana terminals in a small box. Simple, convenient, and no need to actually modify the PSU. The box just contains a couple of 10R resistors between the main terminals and the sense terminals, so I can use them in either 2 wire or 4 wire mode easily.

Offline Andy Watson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2014, 09:18:05 pm »
I just ran a set of wires round to the front and mounted some banana terminals in a small box.
Ditto, except I left the box floating so that I could move it where the work is. I also terminated the sense wires at the remote box terminals.
Alternatively, the front panel already has provision for two terminals. It is only necessary to cut through the plastic overlay and install the terminals - might need a small board to add some stiffness to the structure. Rapid http://www.rapidonline.com sell 4mm terminal that look very similar to the HP/Agilent terminals - part nos  17-3270  and 17-3271
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 09:33:30 pm by Andy Watson »

Offline pinchip

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2014, 09:21:53 pm »
I used to use  batteries to power-up my projects. Not very convenient but it worked quite well.

I builded then power supply myself. I used old laptop charger and aluminium wlan box from dumpster, cost 0 euro. I added voltage regulator, potetiometer and 4 banana terminals, cost few euros. It can give 1V - 18V 4A output. I might add later current regulation, but I  am quite happy with it already now.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2014, 12:22:08 am »
I use Anderson powerpoles as my dc standard connector also as the power output from my hp psus (6632, 6644),  as I am not doing high accuracy stuff I use the shorting bar at the rear for the sense lead,  I have a collection of powerpole to various clips,  solderable ended leads for connecting to DUT.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf