Author Topic: which field i may go.  (Read 2528 times)

Offline tacticalXTopic starter

which field i may go.
« on: April 22, 2016, 02:23:13 pm »
Sorry for long post:

i am almost new to electronics
i graduated 1 year ago from electrical engineering.
my age is unfortunaly high:33 (late decisions, long history)

i am working at a brushed electrical motor manufacturer factory as half engineer-half manager? ( so many useless paper work and low paid job  :) ) and here i cant develop my electrical/electronics skill even i wanted to, coz usually no time and energy remains after work.

the fact is i cant find a better suited job for myself because of the age and lack of experience. (mostly mr jones, sometimes even i dont understand and thats why i am only typing this to here)i am watching electronics related youtube videos, coz i want to and love to develop my electronics skill more. on the other side, i cant figure out which electrical/electronics field i should go, focus on; realizing my age is high (that really desponds me).

In my country, job advertisements are mostly about electrical <220V/380V jobs, electrical installations, panels, switchboards, plc and etc. on the other side i love electronics circuitry, green boards, mini device legs more than biggy panels...so should i chose power electronics? or what do you suggest i should focus on.
electrical: money and easier finding job
electronics: joy

may be this sounds a very dumb question, but i need this answer of my life (almost :) )

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
Re: which field i may go.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 02:50:43 pm »
If you enjoy what you do, you can easily become good at it and money will follow. Unless you'd be earning too little to support yourself (and family?) by working in the field that you love, absolutely go for it. :-+

My 0.02€.

Also, what do you mean long post? ???
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

The following users thanked this post: tacticalX

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 03:58:40 pm »
33 isn't too old

Think about the attributes of not just a job but a career that you would most enjoy and that you would be happy to work at and continually grow and improve - be sure it is something where you will add value not just receive value.

Now imagine what it might look like when you are 63 when you are at an advanced stage in this career.  This will be hard because much will change with technology and society in the next 30 years but think about the nature of the work and the skills and responsibilities and the results you want to produce for your company, your fellow employees, your customers, and everyone involved - what would you want it to look like and realistically expect it to look in 30 years, and what do you know you do not want to do?  Write these things (the 30 year goal and the attributes) on a piece of paper.

Now imagine the job or position you will have just before the goal job - maybe 5-7 years earlier.  Write it down.  Do the same with the prior job/position.  Keep working backward to the present time.  Adjust these objectives on the way to the goal so that each of these steps should be big enough to be meaningful to the goal but small enough to be doable.  When you work back to the present time your next step should be more clear because you can more clearly envision and think about where you really want to go. It may and probably will change along the way but as the saying goes unless you know where you are going you could wind up somewhere else.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 04:08:16 pm by Electro Fan »

Offline Kappes Buur

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 05:27:53 pm »
I'm not good at giving advice, because what is important to me may not be important to you.
So just my thoughts on this.

The problem with finding a dream job in the electronics design industry is that it takes time to learn the underlying fundamentals. And once you have them, it seems, that jobs are migrating to India or wherever labor is cheap. Finding that job needs luck and tenacy. Electronics maintenance, on the other hand, is needed everywhere.

Course material I like to refer to are by Bill Collis for beginners and this MIT course for those a bit more advanced.
If your local learning institutions offer additional courses, take advantage of them. If you have the opportunity then learn both fields, electronics and electrical. I would even throw in learning at least the basics of IoT services.

For what the future will hold, we can only guess. The trend seems to be that renewable energy is what one should concentrate on, installation and maintenance. It is certainly getting more important every year.

Good luck with your endeavours.

Offline danadak

• Super Contributor
  • Reactor Operator SSN-583, Retired EE
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 01:08:32 am »
Not good at forecasting, but in the internet of things there appears to be
a long term need for HW/SW engineers combined, a person who can do
both. This gets you into UP, Analog, Interface, Display, Measurement,
Control.......fascinating field. And the tools today in embedded world so
much better than what I started on in 1972. So much more productive.
Most schools not doing indepth analog design anymore, so the combo
of an EE with both analog and embedded capability fairly rare.

And as a bonus the SOC/FPGA world tools and embedded tools seem to
be merging, that is learn one, the other relatively easy to learn.

The other field I see is big data analysis, largely programming. Tons of
ads for these types of EEs. Very little electronics though.

Regards, Dana.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 01:13:22 am by danadak »
Love Cypress PSOC, ATTiny, Bit Slice, OpAmps, Oscilloscopes, and Analog Gurus like Pease, Miller, Widlar, Dobkin, obsessed with being an engineer

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 09:43:10 am »
from you, it is nice to hear 33 years old age is not that old to (start to) learn real electronics and aim to a good career, thank you all. :phew: :clap:

Offline Alex Trofimov

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 11:10:02 am »
In my experience YouTube videos (I mean EEVblog)) is a great source of professional knowledge, so good on you. :-) I definitely recommend to watch 'em, they made me as a professional mostly. The Uni wasn't enough at all and there's not so much I can learn from my colleagues (another long story)). The other great source is application notes released by IC manufacturers. I think electric engineering Uni grade is well enough base for this knowledge.
If your country is not good for you, didn't you consider emigration?

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 12:02:06 pm »
i agree, university is just for building the foundation...basics...but sometimes lacks telling the real points even they are basics.
i need videos to develop practice when there is no where to practice in real, videos are good.
emigration is a big adventure, i avoid for now :)

today i found a job about installing and then in later stages designing the cable installations of cars, trucks etc (automative sector). They work for great automotive companies like mercedes, ford, masey ferguson, otokar and more. Human resources manager told me the details about job: i liked the job in fact, but when i asked about the salary it is much less than i earn today and he said it wont go up/higher easily...i had to refuse...

Offline Samogon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 12:31:28 pm »
That is hobby for. If you can earn money for living in any field just do it and leave your passion to the hobby.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf