Author Topic: Rigol MSO1104Z-S  (Read 2071 times)

Offline ealmondTopic starter

Rigol MSO1104Z-S
« on: February 18, 2017, 01:33:21 pm »
If I buy the Rigol MSO1104Z-S is there any reason why I would need a separate function generator?  Specs show it has 2 channel 25 MHz built in.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
Re: Rigol MSO1104Z-S
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 03:03:16 pm »
The built-in function generator has its limitations: As it has no dedicated control buttons and knobs, the user interface is a bit awkward. Also, I believe the output voltage is limited to +- 2.5V.

You might consider buying the cheaper DS1054Z instead (which can easily be upgraded to full bandwidth with the "riglol" hack), and buy a separate function generator with the money you save. (Plus a low-cost USB logic analyzer, if you really need to go beyond the 4 scope channels. Many users argue that the large PC memory and screen, search and filtering capabilities etc. are more powerful for logic analyis, compared to the built-in logic analyzer in an MSO.)

The only advantage I see in the combined functionality of the -S models is that it is more compact, if you have limited space on the bench or need to carry your equipment around.

Online hexreader

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 03:19:37 pm »
The Rigol function generator is not the best in the world. These are the limitations that I found:

1 No TTL output available.

2 Signal output is limited to a range of +2.5V and - 2.5V and adding an offset does not push the output voltage swing beyond these limits. (i.e. you cannot gain a TTL output of 0V to +5V, only 0V to +2.5V.

3 External modulation is not possible

4 External trigger or sync is not possible

5 No output of modulation signal is available

6 A little bit fiddly to use

7 Connections are at the back of the scope (though that is easily fixed with just a simple pair of BNC extension
 leads)

If you can live with these limitations (and maybe others that I have not found), then the signal generator is probably fine for general use.

At the end of the day, it does not add much to the cost of the scope and still has many good points going for it, and features that you will not find on the cheapest function generators, such as modulation, AFG, dual channel and high frequency.

Even if you needed to buy a more advanced function generator at some time in the future, the Rigol generator add-on is still nice to have and a cheap option. It may turn out to be all that you ever need.

The logic analyser is more disappointing, and hard to use. ... but again, not much extra money, and might be good enough for hobby use

EDIT: Having just checked prices.....   It seems that you could buy a separate function generator and logic analyser for the money saved by buying the base model scope. So I have changed my opinion, and if value for money is the main consideration, then separate units are probably the best option for most users.  (I still like my new MSO1104Z-S just the same though - despite already having function generator and logic analyser before buying it)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 03:49:59 pm by hexreader »

The following users thanked this post: ebastler

Offline ealmondTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 08:57:44 pm »
Missing TTL is disappointing.  I might have to try to make room for more instruments.  Thank you guys for responding.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf