Author Topic: Round mains connector (low power)  (Read 2656 times)

Offline newbie666Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Round mains connector (low power)
« on: March 20, 2018, 10:07:09 am »
Hello,

I've been going through mouser catalog for 2 days now and I can not seem to find what I need:

I'm doing a lot of low power (5-30W) mains powered projects and I like to use those hammond extruded enclosures. The main pain point is cutting those square holes for IEC sockets.

Is anyone aware of a power connector suitable to provide mains voltage that's round or at least has a round socket. That would make my life so much easier as I could just drill a hole in 30 seconds rather than spending an hour as I do now.

I've only found PowerCon from Neutrik but the smallest one is rated 16A so definitely an overkill for my application.

Offline RyanT

• Contributor
Re: Round mains connector (low power)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 11:19:42 am »
I once saw 240V going through a barrel plug. Still gives me the willies just thinking about all of the ways that could go horribly wrong.

The IEC connectors are pretty well designed.

My advice would be, since it seems you have the space for the IEC connector but the time drilling the hole is the bottleneck, to look at buying a punch for them. They're pricey ($100+) but worth it if you have to do a lot of connectors. You could also make yourself a jig to semi-automate the procedure yourself, if you can get a little mechanical advantage. My experience doing just a few at a time, drilling the biggest hole you can and then attacking the corners with a dremel (cut wheel) and/or a nibbler does the job just fine, though, you're right, it is a bit tedious.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 04:23:25 pm »
Is a fully-detachable cable an absolute requirement? Sounds like drilling a hole for a cable gland would be easy and quick.

If partial detachability could work, what about using an IEC socket on a pigtail, and then mounting that on the device through a gland? Then the user plugs in their local IEC mains cable to the pigtail? Fugly, but functional.

Offline fourtytwo42

• Super Contributor
  • Interested in all things green/ECO NOT political
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 04:33:29 pm »
My way around may not be suitable for you but I use wall warts so the project box itself only needs a small round connector :)

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 04:43:26 pm »
If you MUST have an IEC (presumably 60320 C14), there doesn't appear to be any available that fit into a round panel hole.
OTOH, if you are looking for a modern round-hole mains connector, there is Neutrik Powercon.  Same size as XLR connector:

Online mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 08:56:34 pm »
Digikey has something almost circular: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/schurter-inc/4300.0096/486-2094-ND/639967

If you don't need earth, then in theory you could drill two holes for the corners and then use some blade or file to create the straight holes... or if the back of your device is made out of circuit board maybe you can use vscoring or cut outs in combinations with holes.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 09:44:19 pm »
looks like PowerCon is the only viable option. They're a bit pricey but I think I'll go this way for now. Thanks for all the answers!

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 10:07:21 pm »

Is anyone aware of a power connector suitable to provide mains voltage that's round or at least has a round socket. That would make my life so much easier as I could just drill a hole in 30 seconds rather than spending an hour as I do now.
If it's taking an hour you're doing it wrong.
Drill 2 holes and jigsaw. A few minutes max. The connector has a flange to hide a less-than-perfect edge.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Fludo

• Regular Contributor
  • EE
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 12:27:41 pm »
CPC from Amphenol and the other MILSPEC connectors will all fit into a round hole.  The have multiple pieces you have to buy: Plug, receptacle, backshell and cable clamp.  The crimp tools are cost prohibitive($600+), but there are solder cup variants.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/connectors-interconnects/circular-connectors/436?k=cpc

The plastic ones can have a 600V rating and the metal ones will do 3-4kV.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 01:12:42 pm »

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 01:46:44 pm »
If you can find an old vintage UK kettle, it will have a three pin round main plug and socket.  It will be made of Bakelite or other prehistoric plastic though.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 01:53:32 pm »
Buy a punch tool.
Example: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/punch-die-combinations/0543614/
If you're doing a lot, then absoutely - these make a very clean hole quickly and easily

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 02:51:49 pm »
*Way* back in the day, quite a lot of testgear used Bulgin PX06xx series 3A  250V circular power connectors for their main input.  You aren't supposed to use them for mains if the connector is accessible without tools as the creepage distance from the trailing socket contacts to the end face of the socket 'plug'  is a bit on the skimpy side, but as long as you don't let your kids or dog chew the end, or sell or lend out (other than to a competent person) any kit that has them,  it really isn't a major issue.
https://www.rapidonline.com/bulgin-miniature-3-pole-mains-connectors-63556

There's also the 5A 250V XLR-LNE connector system - they are rather obsolete and aren't approved for domestic use but are still manufactured by Canford.

Also consider
https://www.rapidonline.com/bulgin-general-purpose-miniature-mains-connectors-63559

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 03:56:37 pm »
What I linked earlier in this thread is an IEC replacement for a Bulgin connector that goes in the same round hole.

http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/product_info.php?products_id=318&url_node_name=Cables_Jacks_amp_Plugs_Connectors&language=en

The following users thanked this post: Jeroen3

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2018, 04:05:44 pm »
Bulgin part may work! thanks for the tip.

Online MarkL

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2018, 02:18:02 pm »
Here's another connector for your consideration.  The Hubbell midget twist lock series is round, and comes in 3-wire or 2-wire versions for grounded or not.  It mounts in a 1+1/4" dia. hole (approx).  It used to be very common on office equipment before IEC connectors.

https://www.hubbell.com/hubbell/en/Products/Electrical-Electronic/Wiring-Devices/Locking-Devices/Midget-Twist-Lock/c/2027743

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2018, 07:45:44 pm »
If this is for anyone other than yourself,  I think using anything other than one of the  standard IEC types ( normal, clover-leaf or figure-8) will really piss off your customers.
Especially the ones in other countries.

The following users thanked this post: Richard Crowley

Online edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2018, 10:37:41 pm »
There are also the round connectors used for rope lights:

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/114524/FT2-N120NA12CONKIT3W.html

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2018, 12:11:36 pm »
there are many round connectors from people like bulgin,
but they arent cheap.

the simple method i use - also good for usb sockets.

get a steel template, cut one from an old psu or something,
drill the 2 mounting holes for your inlet and put the teplate on it with a couple of bolts.
then mill around the rectangular hole with a dremel or similar tool and a milling drill bit - the steel will act as a guide to give a clean shape.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf