Author Topic: Royer oscillator instability  (Read 1168 times)

Offline ezalysTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Royer oscillator instability
« on: March 25, 2018, 04:46:19 am »
Hey all! I've tried building jim williams' high voltage CCFL supply... well, a very basic version of it where I just short the bases of the transistors to ground (no regulation), ground one terminal of the secondary and load the other with a 200kohm resistor. Just to see how it works. To be clear, the only parts involved are the switch transistors, one 1k base resistor, one 200k resistor as a load on the secondary, tank capacitor, and the transformer. When I include the the tank capacitor, everything works very smoothly and happily. When I don't, the system seems to just oscillate chaotically. Measuring a terminal of the primary, I observe a series of decreasing spikes. It seems to be switching back and forth but without completely switching all the way, but also with varying period. Listening to the transformer, I hear a squealing noise that doesn't have a definite frequency. I'm a big fan of the resonant royer design but I'm curious what causes this behavior and how you alleviate it in a Royer oscillator that doesn't involve a tank capacitor to obtain a relatively clean square wave.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 04:51:50 am by ezalys »

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: Royer oscillator instability
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 08:02:10 am »
Sounds like squegging.  You need a low enough resonant tank impedance to dominate over other possible modes of operation, and enough base bias to power it.  You may or may not need/want base bypass capacitance (probably not; that's more relevant for single transistor (blocking oscillator) circuits), which causes squegging when the value is incorrect (again, a value of 0 might be most correct here).

Don't at all expect it to behave like a fixed mains supply.  The whole point of the oscillator is that you're sacrificing ease of use for sparsity of components.  Expect quirks!

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf