Author Topic: RS232 Serial Decoding and Reverse Engineering  (Read 19307 times)

Offline Mad ProfessorTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
RS232 Serial Decoding and Reverse Engineering
« on: October 25, 2013, 05:46:06 pm »
Good day all.

This is my 1st started topic here, so not really quite sure where I should post, so please feel free to move to where it is best suited, or boot me out on my arse if not welcome, lol.

I am thinking about starting a serial decoding and reverse engineering related project.

I will now try and give you some back ground and details on what I am trying to do.

A few months ago I got my hands on a 2nd hand Denford Mirac CNC Lathe (1990 model).
The lathe has a built in PC that run's Denford's own software to control the Mirac CNC Lathe via RS232 serial commands.
The lathe control software is MS-DOS based, and is also designed around educational environment so has a number of limiting factors.
What I would like to be able to do is install Windows on the lathe PC and run a piece of software called Mach3 that will then be able to control the lathe.

When other people have wanted to use the Mach3 software, they have ripped out all the old control hardware and replaced it with all new modern control hardware that can be interfaced to work with the Mach3 software.

This is where I am wanting to try and go down another path.
I am looking to try and decode and reverse engineer the serial commands use with the MS-DOS based Mirac software, so that I can make a plugin that with work with the mach3 software.

I have a feeling that I am jumping in the deep end of the pool with two lead boots on.

I only own basic diagnostic hardware, a few Uni-T DVM's, a PicoScope 2202 USB Oscilloscope.

I can hear Dave shouting at the screen now telling me to get a real oscilloscope, and not a toy.

As the picoscope software supports serial decoding I am hoping to be able to tap into the serial TX & RX lines, and pull useable data.

The other way I might be able to get useable data is to remove the EEPROM chip and store a dump of the chip, but I don't have the hardware or the knowhow for that at this point in time.

So at this point in time, I am really just looking for any advice or ideas that anyone can give me, or just plain tell me I am barking up the wrong tree.

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
Re: RS232 Serial Decoding and Reverse Engineering
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 06:10:30 pm »
The good thing is that RS232 is the easiest of serial protocols to decode or interface to.

Now I'm not sure from your description where the serial commands are being sent from or to. Does an external ordinary computer send serial commands to the lathe that then executes them? Or does the built in PC send serial commands to the lathe hardware directly?

Offline homebrew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 06:17:42 pm »
Hello,

for a start, you could just hook up an other computer with a RS232-Port and tap its RX pin into either of the two original communication lines. You will see at least half duplex traffic that way.
Older dos boxes tend to have two RS232 onboard. In DOS (realtime enough by definition) you might be able to dump both lines in parallel. Just write some simple BASIC code to dump the contents in a file. Later use a HEX-Editor of you choice to look at the result.

Use you scopes to determine the boudrate, startbit/stopbit etc. Then you can setup your one/two serial sniffer port(s) to that parameters.

Regarding mach3. I don't know it very well but it does the step sequencing in software, right? (I'm more the EMC2 guy)
I would assume that it is not possible to transmit step/dir information via RS232 for any reasonable machine/speed. It is just too slow. So if you manage to figure out the protocol you might still not be able to interface it to mach3. But well, thats only a bunch of assumptions ...

Best,
Pete

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 06:23:19 pm »
There are plenty of PC based serial monitors out there - you ideally want something that will monitor both ways and put timestamps on, but often once you figure out the basic structure that's less necessary.
A scope is handy for initially finding baudrate and looking at the relative timings, but once you have a general outline, simple dumps of data are often all you need.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 06:24:08 pm »
I was not over clear on the hardware, sorry about that.

You are indeed right, the PC sends commands via serial to the control board, and the control board then processes the data, and controls the spindle, axis, etc, etc.

The control board in the lathe an LCB3 and was made by GSM-SYNTEL LTD, but they stopped trading quite some time ago, so very limited info out there.

homebrew
Regarding Mach3 when controlling hardware via the printer port your quite right, that mach3 does all the processing and commands.

I have a DIY CNC Mill/Router that is controlled via mach3, but I don't use the printer port, I use a piece of hardware called ethernet smoothstepper, so mach3 reads the g-code commands, sends the data to the ESS, the ESS then processors the data, and commands the moves, then the ESS asks Mach3 for more data.

This is the same kind of thing I am looking to do for the lathe but via serial.

mikeselectricstuff
At this point in time I don't have any other older PC's with good old serial ports, all my other computers are just to modern.
I think I will have to look in the local paper ad's or freecycle for an old PC for serial data sniffing.
Any tips on a good piece of serial data logging?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 06:46:45 pm by Mad Professor »

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 06:54:27 pm »
You can do an awful lot with a couple of USB adapters and Realterm.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 07:44:02 am »
Monkeh
I do own a few Prolific USB Serial Adapters, I always had nothing but problems with them randomly disconnecting, But it worth giving them a try.
Thanks for the heads up on the software, I will have a look at that now.

Best Regards.

jucole

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 09:59:48 am »
I found this Denford PDF entitled "Mirac PC CNC Lathe User's Manual."  http://www.denfordata.com/pdfs/mirac_pc_600dpi_hq.pdf

On page 99 it describes the generic lathe commands (not for all machines), which might be handy.   Perhaps you could pretend to send a simple shape job to the lathe and instead hook the serial to another OLD PC with a real serial port and a terminal emulator set to capture the data into a file; you should then be able to work out the raw data used to control the steppers etc and create a driver from that.   But in theory if your driver could turn MACH3 into stepper data, and then back to decent MACH3 G-code again,  then your driver is ready for testing. ;-)

[edit:  I once captured some "baked-in" serial cutter data from an obscure old CNC machine/software into one of those old Psion Sienna PDA things via it's RS232 serial terminal application, and then did a data conversions to windows; it worked very well.]
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 10:11:41 am by jucole »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 10:21:16 am »
I have hooked up my picoscope 2202 usb oscilloscope to the serial TX line to try and determine the serial baud rate.
My limited understanding of serial data is that I take the smallest pulse width to work out the baud rate.
In my case the smallest pulse width of 97us, so that's "1 / 0.000097 = 10309".
10309bps seems like a very strange baud rate.
I was expecting 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600, 19200, etc.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 10:52:33 am »
Monkeh
I do own a few Prolific USB Serial Adapters, I always had nothing but problems with them randomly disconnecting, But it worth giving them a try.
Thanks for the heads up on the software, I will have a look at that now.

Best Regards.

Prolific units, genuine or fakes, are dodgy little things. Chips like the CP2102 are a little better, FTDI, however, generally Just Work(tm).

jucole

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 11:06:48 am »
I have hooked up my picoscope 2202 usb oscilloscope to the serial TX line to try and determine the serial baud rate.
My limited understanding of serial data is that I take the smallest pulse width to work out the baud rate.
In my case the smallest pulse width of 97us, so that's "1 / 0.000097 = 10309".
10309bps seems like a very strange baud rate.
I was expecting 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600, 19200, etc.

97 uS is very close to 104 uS which is 9600.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 12:57:07 pm »

I'm using them for years without any problem with linux systems. Even got multiport versions running 24x7 for years. 

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 01:08:02 pm »
Prolific units, genuine or fakes, are dodgy little things. Chips like the CP2102 are a little better, FTDI, however, generally Just Work(tm).

I slightly disagree :-) Had quite often driver problems with FTDI chips under WinXP. Replacing with a PL2303 fixed that always.

Offline RobbieC

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 01:54:55 pm »
I've used Keyspans for years with mostly no problems (their drivers have caused some system crashes and reboots in the past, both with XP and OSX) and they include a basic hex/ASCII serial sniffer as well.

Here's the link:
http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtModelID=3914

For basic sniffing, it works fine but could also be combined with a third party software sniffer and logger.

At work we have a USB hardware sniffer that I've never actually tried, but I'll check and see what brand it is.

Good luck!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2013, 01:55:47 pm »
wilfred
The manual is referring to the >1996 version of the Denford Mirac where it is fitted with a newer control system "EuroStep Controller Cards", and all the software is windows based.
My Denford Mirac is a 1990 model and the control system is the LCB3 and was made by GSM-SYNTEL LTD, and the control software is MS-DOS based.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 02:05:05 pm by Mad Professor »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2013, 08:38:19 am »
Made a small bit of progress this morning, and also a small setback.

1st the setback, when trying to sniff the serial data via using a laptop and one of my prolific usb serial adapters, as I load the lathe control software I see a burst of data on the terminal screen, but the lathe control software then fails to see the controller. This happens no matter if I tap into the TX or RX lines of the lathe serial cable, so I am guessing the data lines are getting pulled to low for the lathe controller to cope.
I have not yet confirm that be using my scope, but I will be having a closer look later on today.

EDIT:
Just tested the serial voltages again but with the usb serial adaptor.
TX Line from the computer, 8.90v peek to peek, -8.12v to +781mv.
RX Line from the computer, 8.90v peek to peek, -7.96v to +937mv.

Without the usb serial adaptor connected to the TX & RX lines, I get the following voltages.
TX Line from computer, 20.79v peek to peek, -10.16v to +10.63v.
RX Line from computer, 16.40v peek to peek, -8.75v to +7.65v.

I have been able to pull some data from the TX and RX lines by using the picoscope and it's built in serial decoding.
9600bps does indeed seem to be the correct baud rate.

Something I did find strange is once the lathe control software is loaded and you are at the 1st loaded screen there is no watchdog, no data at all to or from the control board, It's not unto you go into one of the other screens, that the watchdog kicks into live.

I have turned the serial decoding to ASCII, and can see while the system is at idle it sends out a single ascii character, the control board reply's with the same character then 133ms later the controller sends a bunch of data.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 09:22:12 am by Mad Professor »

jucole

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2013, 10:02:33 am »
Just had a thought,  if the lathe software has a "calibrate" option you could let it run and capture all the available axis motions as well as the limit switch signals.

But you'd have to be careful when you start sending it test data, as you probably couldn't run the tool-post off the end of the track onto the floor because of the limit switches and the lathe control board,  but you could certainly accidentally run the tool-post into a spinning chuck, which would be nasty or run the lathe bit into the material too fast.

Offline ttp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2013, 11:07:11 am »
A few months ago I got my hands on a 2nd hand Denford Mirac CNC Lathe (1990 model).
The lathe has a built in PC that run's Denford's own software to control the Mirac CNC Lathe via RS232 serial commands.
The lathe control software is MS-DOS based, and is also designed around educational environment so has a number of limiting factors.
What I would like to be able to do is install Windows on the lathe PC and run a piece of software called Mach3 that will then be able to control the lathe.

Have you tried Denford forums? I'd imagine a protocol from 1990's wouldn't be a big secret.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2013, 11:28:44 am »
ttp
I have e-mailed them and posted a number of questions related to the denford mirac cnc lathe on there forum.
It seems denford are unable or unwilling to give more details then they already have on the forum or in the pdf manuals.
They keep pointing the finger back to the firm that made the LCB3 control board "GSM-SYNTEL LTD", as said before, GSM-SYNTEL LTD have long since stopped trading, so there is no way of contacting them for any details on protocol used.

Offline abyrvalg

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2013, 02:47:56 pm »
What kind of USB-Serial are you using? There are "true RS232" ones with +-12V levels (these have a standard DB-9 connector on serial side usually) and "TTL" ones with +5V or even +3.3V levels (i.e. cell phone data cables). You need a "true RS232" one obviously. If your one is "TTL", it's protection diodes will try to limit the original signal.

If you get two "true RS232" adapters, try "LGComSpy" serial monitor software in "pass-thru" mode - very handy to monitor both Rx and Tx simultaneously.

Another option is to disassemble the control PC's software

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2013, 05:39:22 pm »
abyrvalg
Both are prolific usb serial adapters, and they look like this:

Anyway I have given up trying to sniff the serial data by using the above prolific usb serial adapters.
I have been able to get my hands on an older pc that has real hardware onboard serial ports.
This computer does not drag down the voltages on the serial lines, so I am now able to sniff both the TX & RX lines while the lathe is running.
At this point in time I am only looking at the serial commands sent to the control board, then I will be looking at the control responses.

Below are a few of the serial commands in ASCII format.

Home X Axis
M09;M13;I;F1200;K;I;M13;P;I;M13;P;I;M13;P;I;M13;P;I;M13;P;I;P;I;M09;M09;U15;
Home Z Axis
M09;M13;I;F1200;J;I;M13;P;I;M13;P;I;M13;P;I;M13;P;I;M13;P;I;P;I;M09;M09;U15;
Spindle CW 500rpm
M09;M13;U04;V05;E0250;M09;U15;
Spindle CCW 500rpm
M09;M13;V04;U05;E0250;M09;U15;
Spindle Stop
M09;E0000;V04;V05;I;M09;U15;

It seems a at 1st look that some of the commands are standard g-code (m-gode) commands, like M09 & M13.
Sadly this is not the case, as M09 is Coolant off, and M13 is Spindle on CW and flood coolant on.

It's now just a case of working out what each piece means.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 06:28:20 pm by Mad Professor »

Offline abyrvalg

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2013, 10:07:32 pm »
Do you really need to decode all these single operations like M09? Just make a list of low level operations required by Mach3 (like "spindle cw at rpm=R", "move to x=X with feed rate=F" etc), execute them in original software with different parameters and capture command strings without going into every detail, except the positions where to insert rpm, coords, feed rates.
I.e. try starting a spindle at 300 RPM - will that E0250 change to E0150 as RPM/2 ? If yes - just use M09;M13;U04;V05;Errrr;M09;U15; with rrrr=RPM/2

Offline true

• Frequent Contributor
  • INTERNET
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2013, 12:07:21 am »
I slightly disagree :-) Had quite often driver problems with FTDI chips under WinXP. Replacing with a PL2303 fixed that always.
If you have a legit one, and it isn't an older chip, maybe. I was a PL2303 believer until the fakes started hitting the market...it's so easy to buy a fake now compared to a legit one, even legit brands use fakes, and most adapters I have purchased or have come across in the last 2 years with a PL2303 have been total crap.

Anecodes are wonderful things...

Offline abyrvalg

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2013, 07:30:41 am »
Just for curiosity - did you looked inside the LCB3? What is there? Some 8048/8051?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2013, 07:54:12 am »
abyrvalg
Below is a list of the main components of the LCB3 control board.

-------------------------------------------------
U1   EF6809P
U2   TL7702ACP
U3   SN74LS138N
U4   (SYN-017)
U5   TMM2764DI-2 (EPROM NO 929 PC03095 LCB3)
U6   TC5565APL-12
U7   EF6840P
U8   MC6840P
U9   MC6840P
U10   EF6821P
U11   EF6821P
U12   EF6850P
U13   MAX250CPD
U14   SN74LS02N
U15   SN74LS123N
U16   SN74LS123N
U17   DM7407N